Wedding Reception Forum

What do you think of this venue?

I visited this venue without FI yesterday (he is in a different state), and I really liked it. FI is not sold on it (but has only seen pictures). He thinks the "ballroom" where the reception will take place is old, dated, and "looks like a place where old people hang out." I never thought of it like that, but now I'm getting a bit panicky. What are your opinions?

The first image is a view looking toward the entrance. The second is looking toward the stage where the DJ would be.

I still like it...but I also have a tendency to be a bit grandmotherly at times.

Re: What do you think of this venue?

• I think it is a very pretty and warm venue.  For a ballroom it doesn't seem cold or huge like some ballrooms can be.  I think all the wood and the lighting makes it feel almost cozy.

I am not getting the "old people" vibe at all.  I think in the end it comes down to your added decorations and color scheme.  To make it feel more youthful I would go with brighter colors and lots of candles/votives.

And I love the ceiling.  I mean I know that isn't going to be a focal point but the ceiling is cool and the lighting is really nice.  This space could definitely do something formal or also something bit more casual.

• I think it is a very pretty and warm venue.  For a ballroom it doesn't seem cold or huge like some ballrooms can be.  I think all the wood and the lighting makes it feel almost cozy.

I am not getting the "old people" vibe at all.  I think in the end it comes down to your added decorations and color scheme.  To make it feel more youthful I would go with brighter colors and lots of candles/votives.

And I love the ceiling.  I mean I know that isn't going to be a focal point but the ceiling is cool and the lighting is really nice.  This space could definitely do something formal or also something bit more casual.
    That is what I had in mind. We are thinking May, so I figured I could drape some kind of floral/green garland along the top banisters and twirl in some white lights, plus have candles and flowers on the tables/on the fireplace mantle. 
  • abcdevonn said:
    I think it is a very pretty and warm venue.  For a ballroom it doesn't seem cold or huge like some ballrooms can be.  I think all the wood and the lighting makes it feel almost cozy.

That is what I had in mind. We are thinking May, so I figured I could drape some kind of floral/green garland along the top banisters and twirl in some white lights, plus have candles and flowers on the tables/on the fireplace mantle. 
    I think that would be super pretty!  Yeah how one reads that room is really reliant on what colors you go with.  If you go with bright springy flowers that room will still have the coziness of the wood but will also be bright and light.

• I think it looks beauiful.   I love the high ceilings and light from the windows.    When I think of grandma-ish I think of low celings with no windows. 

I do not think you need anything on the railings.   Less is more to me sometimes.  If you have the budget go for it if you want.  I would make it a low priority.    Candles on the mantle sounds nice.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Looks like a comfortable, versatile space that lends itself to a variety of decorating ideas.
  • I like your venue. It has a very cozy and intimate feeling to it. And your decoration ideas sound amazing. Please post pictures after your wedding day :)
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    I don't get "old people "when I look at it, I get "arts and crafts".  I think it's really pretty, and will look GORGEOUS at night with just the lights on (vs the light coming in from the windows).  

ETA: just saw second picture.  I could see the old person vibe a bit more there because of the types of chairs and the boring centerpieces.  I think if you did a more modern color scheme (ie not drab burgundy or blue), and a more exciting centerpiece with those chiavari chairs in the first pic, you'll be fine.
    Married 9.12.15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards