Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Dessert Buffet numbers

Hi all -

Just met with the baker for our dessert buffet on Saturday, and wanted to get some second opinions on our numbers.

Additional info - guest list of around 50-55 (about 5 of those are young kids), cocktail hour and full dinner buffet before, dessert buffet will be a replacement for traditional cake.

I originally had higher numbers when I was talking with their catering coordinator, but the baker recommended lower numbers after we met.  FI said his family (which is about 20 of our guest list), are not big sweets eaters (and will load up more on dinner than desserts)

So she recommended:

3 dozen cookies (full size)
3 dozen cupcakes (full size)
5 dozen "gobs" (like the pic below, but assorted flavors.. they're pretty nice sized, not mini)
5 pies 

So that's about 172 "pieces", assuming the pies are cut in 8 slices.

Thoughts? I obviously don't want to run out, but don't want to have a ton of leftovers either. I had debated on doing some brownies, or I have a family friend who makes amazing homemade Buckeye candies.

Re: Dessert Buffet numbers

• kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I have never heard of those called "gobs" before!  Where I am from, we call them whoopie pies.  

Even though some of the guest list doesn't typically eat desserts, I feel like a wedding could be an exception.  Just as a lot of people will have a drink or two at a wedding even if they don't typically drink.  It's a special occasion type thing.

I also feel like people tend to want to try different things when there are choices.   Have you thought of doing the cupcakes, cookies and gobs mini sized?  That way, if someone takes one of each you aren't going to run out nearl
  • Spend $11 at Sam's for a pack of "Take Home Containers (Clam shells)" that you can pull out if there happen to be any leftovers.  Honestly, it's better to have more than enough than not enough and always great to take something home or to the hotel to snack on later as it doubles as a late-night snack for your guests too..
  • @kaos16 Yes, whoopie pies! I wasn't quite sure what they meant by "gobs" until I saw them... either way, they are delicious! That's a good point though. We're doing the desserts through a  rocery store (Giant Eagle Market District), so I'll have to see if they would be willing/able customize to mini sizes.

@MesmrEwe That's a great idea! Think I may up the quantities on the cookies and cupcakes and then do that.

Thanks!!
  •  

@MesmrEwe That's a great idea! Think I may up the quantities on the cookies and cupcakes and then do that.

Thanks!!
    I wouldn't necessarily up the quantities given that you're expecting around 55 guests - I'd simply get the "just in case" take-home containers since they're something useful to have around later on too if you don't use them up...
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I think your quantities look good although like someone else said if you can do mini cupcakes instead of full size that would be good given you have many other options.  We had 64 people and just did full size and mini cupcakes.  had 60 full size and I think 84 minis. Minis were way more popular than full size, we probably only had 1/2 the full size eaten at the wedding, the rest we tried sending home with people or we took home.  Minis were more popular, probably only came home with about 12-18 of those.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards