Nevada-Las Vegas

Outside & hot; ugh

Attended a wedding this past weekend.  No idea why one would think to do this, but it's June, South Carolina, not near the coast... let's have an outside reception.  It was into the mid 90's most of the afternoon and no wind.  By the time I got to a point where I could take my jacket off, it was already damp with sweat.  We're all anxiously awaiting sun down so it would cool off, but what we didn't anticipate is that's also when the bugs come out.  It was a pretty brutal evening.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

Re: Outside & hot; ugh

• That's the worst...if you are going to do an outside wedding, provide guests with extras to ensure they are comfortable. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • UGH! That's awful! And awful hospitality too!! My home state (Tennessee) has similar weather in the summer and IT IS GROSS. I can tolerate it because I grew up there, but I sure as @#$% don't LIKE it!

... granted, as I say this, I plan my wedding in Vegas in August. But everything we're doing is indoors! Everything!
  • Exactly one of the reasons we decided Vegas in Oct and to not have it in MN. I wanted an outdoor wedding. Clearly the winters are f-ing awful and the summers are too unpredictable. It rained most of May; it's been so humid lately. I knew I would agonize the entire point up until the wedding over what the weather would be in MN. 
  • @futuremrshauger I've heard people from Minnesota say "It sucks when spring happens on a weekday" ...
  • Ugh, how awful.  We went to a summer wedding a few years ago in Chicago where just the ceremony was outside and everyone was dying, I can't imagine being hot and humid for the whole thing.

Another irritating one was in South Carolina on the coast.  It wasn't super hot but they only put out enough chairs for the disabled/elderly and parents.  Um, thanks, I'm glad I traveled this far to not be able to even see the ceremony over the taller people in front of me.

Ours was completely outdoors but in mid April, and we still had a backup in case of wind/rain/crazy unusual heat.
  • Yeah ceremony I wouldn't mind, four hours though, that's a bit much lol.

• OMG - I luv this topic! I was just at a wedding this Sunday in NJ - 7/12 - 12noon on a roof top restaurant by the beach, humid, 90, no shade, no waters for guest while sitting there, lil umbrellas or fans. I couldn't enjoy the ceremony, or vows being exchanged because I was passing out from the heat! Then once the ceremony was over, the air in the reception wasn't cold enough and I could not cool down. Little did I realized I was suffering from heat exhaustion!  I'm sorry but, come on you have to think of your guest! Are they comfortable? Is there access to parking?  their convenience of travel? This is the biggest party you host in your life and if you are not going to concern yourself w/ your guests conditions/accommodations?? OR if you are having a outside summer wedding, have a alternative plan for excessive heat/weather.
    Anniversary
  • Ha! Ha! My ceremony is outdoors. I really had no idea how hot it would be. I hope my guests can forgive me. I want to keep it short and sweet.
  • caesarsbride15 what month is the wedding?
    Anniversary
  • edited July 2015
    next month. August. I'll have fans and bottles of water. In my defense, I've never been to Vegas before.
  • OH! What location?? Yes! Def, have waters, lil hand fans, or something for sure! I mean Vegas ceremonies are pretty quick and the heat is not like the East Cost - Humidity is Insane here.
    Anniversary
  • Juno Gardens at CP
  • Beautiful! And there is some shade coverage and depending on time of day, you and your guest will be good :-) How exciting...getting close! Congrats, best wishes
    Anniversary
  • Its the humidity that kills it. I live in FL and my friend had a sunset wedding...outside...2 weeks ago (not on the beach so no breeze!). It doesn't matter what time of day it is in FL, you dont do any wedding activities outside unless its December - March. The ceremony was only 15 minutes but we still had to wait outside before the ceremony started. I was ok but I felt terrible for my fiance in a suit =/
  • lol yeah that would be brutal.  We're in Tampa Bay area and it is blazing hot past couple weeks.

• edited July 2015
    I'm in FL as well! I hear Vegas heat is "different" heat than here in Florida.
  • Having grown up in a place that's hot and humid, but having experience with "dry heat" from various travels, I would say the difference is that humidity seems to add a "feeling" of about 10 more degrees, so if you're used to 80 degrees at high humidity, you'll feel about the same in 90 degrees at low humidity. HOWEVER, since humidity+heat tends to make you feel sweaty and gross and awful the instant you step out in it, you may underestimate the effect of the heat on your body in dry heat if you're used to humidity. DRINK WATER ALL THE TIME. 

There is one definite upside of dry heat: if your hair is affected by humidity, it will be MUCH more cooperative in dry heat XD 
  • Hahaha - I'm with you @damnthetorpedoes ! My hair goes crazy in humidity but always stays nice and smooth in Vegas :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards