Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake and punch reception

We are having a small wedding of about 20 guests. We plan on having the wedding on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm. Besides cake, punch, and water, what other finger foods should we serve? Veggies? Sandwiches?

Re: Cake and punch reception

• Options
    We are having a small wedding of about 20 guests. We plan on having the wedding on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm. Besides cake, punch, and water, what other finger foods should we serve? Veggies? Sandwiches?
    I would add crackers and cheese and a veggie platter, maybe some fresh fruit.  You could also do hummus or chips and salsa.  I'd also add coffee or iced tea or both so that you have something non-sweet to drink other than water.

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Veggie tray, meat/cheese/cracker tray, fruit tray, dips with breads and/or tortilla chips (something as simple as salsa, or spinach dip, or bruschetta), shrimp ring...

I'm not suggesting you need to have all of the above, just trying to throw out some options. I think what is most important is that you offer something different to cake (i.e. something not completely full of sugar). Veggies with cheese/meat and crackers is simple and would fill out your food groups. Anything else is budget and venue dependent- extra icing on the cake ;)

Sandwiches if you want, but if you go this route, make sure you have enough for everyone, and ideally more than one piece each (I'm thinking sandwiches cut into 4s). Sandwiches start getting into "meal" territory. Which is fine, just make sure you have enough. 

If you want something more substantial, you could do some cold or hot hors oeuvres like Swedish meat balls, those little baked stuffed pastry things (i.e. stuffed with cheese, or spinach spread), pinwheel sandwiches, pizza squares...

I would also add tea and coffee to your beverage list if hot beverages are an option. 

• Options
    Tea is an excellent idea, as are crackers/cheese, fruit, and hot hors oeuvres. Thank you both so much!!!
  • Options
    Sandwiches, cheese, fruit, vegetables, chips and dip, tea, coffee, and soda would all be appropriate. You might also have finger pastries for dessert, such as mini-cheesecakes or tarts, lemon/lime squares, brownies, cookies, and so on.
  • Options
    • Veggie tray
    • Fresh fruit
    • Brownies
    • Cookies
    • Cheese & Crackers
    • Bite size sandwiches

You don't have to do all,but you may be able to go to your local grocery store & order trays that have the above items, so then all you have to do is pick things up on the way to the ceremony & put them out on a table & done. Then you don't have to worry about doing the shopping, prepping of stuff and then find the room to chill everything too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards