Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Menu Advice - Pasta & BBQ

My fiance and I are planning on ordering some of our reception food from Noodles & Co (Between working there for 6 years in high school/college, knowing all the general managers in town plus the area manager, and having one of those general managers be a cousin, it's a can't beat deal for food).

The only issue with this is some of my family won't eat pasta, plus a few gluten-free guests. We were looking for another option and considering Famous Dave's. Both places do reasonably priced catering. 

Is this too crazy of a combo? Or does anyone have suggestions of pasta dishes and BBQ meats that would kind of go together, since Noodles isn't strictly Italian dishes. Or should I just say to heck with it and call it good because I do know that everyone invited enjoys either one or the other, or both?

ETA: We also have the option of just ordering the large party size pans of food from both places. I can borrow chafing dishes/supplies from Noodles, and we have trusted individuals who are not guests we could pay to tend the buffet.

Re: Menu Advice - Pasta & BBQ

• Options
    I personally would have no problem with both.  I love pasta and I love BBQ.  In my mind all of your food doesn't have to fit into one specific theme or cuisine.  Just that you should have options for all of your guests and have items that appeal to a large group of people.

For example at our wedding we had stations where we had a pasta station with bread sticks, a thanksgiving-esque station and a meat and potatoes type of station plus a salad station.  So they were all different but all super tasty and I didn't really care that they really didn't "go" together.

So I think what you are planning works well.  I would definitely look into having a salad and veggies too for some lighter options to eat since pasta and bbq can feel kind of heavy.

• Options
    Personally, unless someone has a legit gluten allergy/celiac disease, serve up the pasta. How will this be served though? Buffet? People reserve/order on their RSVP card? (I would love to have some delish pasta at a wedding)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Personally, unless someone has a legit gluten allergy/celiac disease, serve up the pasta. How will this be served though? Buffet? People reserve/order on their RSVP card? (I would love to have some delish pasta at a wedding)
    Some of her family won't eat pasta.  Why would you even consider only serving something that you know not everyone will eat?  That's just poor hosting.

• Options
    Viczaesar said:
    Some of her family won't eat pasta.  Why would you even consider only serving something that you know not everyone will eat?  That's just poor hosting.
    yeah, that is where being a good host comes in.   It seems counterproductive to serve items you know people do not eat.      That is different then serving items and finding out later after the fact.    She knows her guests to do not eat pasta, why serve it then.  And it's not even A guest.   It's GUESTS, as in more then one.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    The food will be served buffet style. I was considering doing two different tables for the two types. People can always hit both tables.

I know a few people might be into the gluten free fad, but I do have a few people with celiac's, and a step-aunt with MS who feels better when she eats gluten free. I also know at least two vegetarians - a cousin and my fiance's brother's girlfriend of 3+ years. 
  • Options
    I think this sounds awesome. I love both places :) Like you said though, do separate tables for the food, and people can do 1 option, or both depending on their mood. Mac and cheese totally goes with both and can be put on either table though.  

Just make sure the BBQ is actually gluten free. Quite often the sauce is not.  
  • Options
    Sounds good to me. Since you're doing a buffet, I'd set these up like stations and not try to make the two work together. To do this, I'd do two separate tables, one "Italian" and one "BBQ". 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Does anyone have any good ideas as to how much of each dish to have, or can point me to a good resource? The more I think about it, the more I think figuring out how much to order is the worst part lol.

Idea right now:
    two bbq meats with no sauce, 2-3 side dishes/salad, maybe a bread. Possibly buns for people to make small bbq sandwiches. Several bbq sauce choices at end of table.
    2 pastas, Mac and cheese, a meat topping, bread and salad.
  • Options
    You should talk to the places catering.  Will you have people dishing out the food or are guests helping themselves?  If the guests are helping themselves then you should order more then you think because people have different ideas of what a serving size is.  Also since it is a buffet people will go back for seconds.

So talk to the places who are catering it and they should be able to give you an idea of what you should be ordering.  But everyone should be able to have a taste of everything if they really wanted.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards