Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Late parents and wedding day drama!

My family and my husbands family are both very relaxed people so the last thing I expected on my wedding day was drama!!

The day started with my husband's sister having the flu... she didnt tell anyone and ended up passing out in my bathroom, hitting her head on the washing machine and needing seven stitches!!

After all of that drama (her mother came to take her to the er) the entire day was spent with everyone worrying about whether she would be able to still be in the wedding and I was trying to decide how upset everyone would get if I told her she couldn't walk whether she made it or not (there was no way I was taking a chance of her passing out during the ceremony!!)

Well, ceremony time finally rolled around and none of my husbands family was there!!  We ended up waiting about 10 min but i refused to wait any longer because we couldnt reach them and had no idea how long they would be.  They ended up coming in about 15 min after we were supposed to start (I was literally seconds away from getting started) but none of them were dressed!  My MIL expected me to wait while they dressed my SIL and did her hair and makeup!  I said no way and they she would have to sit out of the ceremony but could get ready to be in the pictures afterward.  MIL was angry about this and took her time getting dressed (I was ready to kill her!) We finally got the ceremony started and everything went fine.  At the reception my husbands parents were only concerned with my SIL and didn't even hardly speak to my husband and I.  No one to this day has even appologized!  I understand that it wasnt her fault that it happened but it really put a damper on the whole day and no one from his family seems to care! 

The part that upset me the most is I understand why my FIL and SIL were late for the ceremony, but my MIL wasnt even with them at the hospital!  She as at HOME TAKING A NAP!!  Seriously!  Who is late for their own child's wedding!  I dont know how to get over this and I really cant say much to them without causing serious turmoil... they really dont seem to see anything wrong with the situation!

The icing on the cake was that my husbands Aunt and Uncle also showed up late to the ceremony and walked in after my last bridesmaid walked down the aisle but before me and my dad!  His uncle actually asked my dad to take his coat!  WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!? and who walks into the middle of a wedding ceremony and just stands there waiting for someone to seat them when obviously the bridesmaids are already up front waiting and the Bride needs you to move so she can walk  down the aisle.... most importantly who shows up for a 4:00 wedding at 4:25?!?!?  I am doing my best to be the better person and just move on.... my husband has expressed how upset he is with them but also knows that it will do no good to say anything now.... it just really hurts me the on their son's wedding day they couldnt even show up on time! 

I'm done venting now, just needed to get it off my chest! Thanks for reading!

Re: Late parents and wedding day drama!

• Wow! sorry this happened. Unfortunately the situation with your SIL was not something that could be prevented and glad it wasn't worse. However, I am sure your wedding was beautiful and your other guests had a good time!
  • I'm not sure passing out from an illness counts as drama. I'm sorry that people were late to your wedding- but it seems most of them had a really good reason (going to the ER). As for the other people, that is very annoying that they were late. But you can't change the past, and they are part of your family now. 

Now that you've vented about your feelings, try to let them go and be happy with your wedding. You got married! You looked beautiful! Your SIL didn't die from passing out and hitting her head! Your MIL actually showed up instead of sleeping through the whole thing! 
  • It sucks that it happens but your SIL didn't do it on purpose. My guess is she was trying to ignore being sick so that she could be there for the wedding. Let that go and those who were with her at the hospital, let it go. They were clearly trying to get back in time and ended up a bit later then they hoped. Let it go because being upset by it doesn't do any good.
       For the others also let it go, it's not worth getting upset about. Your MIL and hubby they should talk if he feels like something needs to be said. In six months or a year you'll look back and laugh a little. Least your MIL was late, mine fell asleep during the ceremony it as horrible.
  • I'm sorry I was laughing out loud reading your post. That sucks! All you can do from here is look to the future. Which means not relying on them for anything. If you get pregnant and they say they'll drive you to an ultrasound appt, decline!

Anniversary

• I had a fair amount of family drama going on at my wedding. It was mostly behind the scenes and not necessarily apparent to others but in the end, I do feel that my family took attention from me and my husband on our big day to focus on others who yes, needed help but perhaps should have sat it out instead of creating issues. That said, I think some of your family did worse things and I don't blame you for being upset. I have to get myself to a point where I believe it was unintentional and I hope you can do the same. good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lateness is my biggest fear for my wedding, Ill probably have to chain my dad to the venue the night before. No one in my family has any sense of time management, so we're telling them they have to be there an hour before anyone is even allowed to be there, so they will eventually end up being their on time.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_late-parents-and-wedding-day-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:ba7241a1-d712-4d3b-8f69-50bd473eab4fPost:c3d6aa5d-3146-48fe-8ea3-474927a3d186">Late parents and wedding day drama!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My family and my husbands family are both very relaxed people so the last thing I expected on my wedding day was drama!! The day started with my husband's sister having the flu... she didnt tell anyone and ended up passing out in my bathroom, hitting her head on the washing machine and needing seven stitches!! After all of that drama (her mother came to take her to the er) the entire day was spent with everyone worrying about whether she would be able to still be in the wedding and I was trying to decide how upset everyone would get if I told her she couldn't walk whether she made it or not (<strong>there was no way I was taking a chance of her passing out during the ceremony!!</strong>) Well, ceremony time finally rolled around and none of my husbands family was there!!  We ended up waiting about 10 min but i refused to wait any longer because we couldnt reach them and had no idea how long they would be.  They ended up coming in about 15 min after we were supposed to start (I was literally seconds away from getting started) but none of them were dressed!  My MIL expected me to wait while they dressed my SIL and did her hair and makeup!  I said no way and they she would have to sit out of the ceremony but could get ready to be in the pictures afterward.  MIL was angry about this and took her time getting dressed (I was ready to kill her!) We finally got the ceremony started and everything went fine.  At the reception my husbands parents were only concerned with my SIL and didn't even hardly speak to my husband and I.  No one to this day has even appologized!  I understand that it wasnt her fault that it happened but it really put a damper on the whole day and no one from his family seems to care!  The part that upset me the most is I understand why my FIL and SIL were late for the ceremony, but my MIL wasnt even with them at the hospital!  She as at HOME TAKING A NAP!!  Seriously!  Who is late for their own child's wedding!  I dont know how to get over this and I really cant say much to them without causing serious turmoil... they really dont seem to see anything wrong with the situation! The icing on the cake was that my husbands Aunt and Uncle also showed up late to the ceremony and walked in after my last bridesmaid walked down the aisle but before me and my dad!  His uncle actually asked my dad to take his coat!  WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!? and who walks into the middle of a wedding ceremony and just stands there waiting for someone to seat them when obviously the bridesmaids are already up front waiting and the Bride needs you to move so she can walk  down the aisle.... most importantly who shows up for a 4:00 wedding at 4:25?!?!?  I am doing my best to be the better person and just move on.... my husband has expressed how upset he is with them but also knows that it will do no good to say anything now.... it just really hurts me the on their son's wedding day they couldnt even show up on time!  I'm done venting now, just needed to get it off my chest! Thanks for reading!
    Posted by kmwaltem[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You sound nice.</div><div>
    </div><div>Instead of worrying about your SIL ruining your day, maybe you should worry about if she is OK.

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards