Wedding Woes

I want to support my cousin, her charity of choice makes me squicky.

Dear Prudence,
My cousin’s young son was recently diagnosed with autism. She and her husband have signed up to participate in a local autism support walk sponsored by a big-name national charity. They have invited the rest of the family to participate by walking or donating. I’d like to support my cousin, but this charity just raises too many red flags. Until recently it has been one of the biggest voices spreading the quack “science” of the vaccines-cause-autism debacle. It spends 30 percent of its money on overhead, including a lavish salary for their president. There are several other autism charities that spend their money on science-based research that I’d happily give to instead. I don’t want to seem like I’m judging their choice of foundations, but would it be OK for me to respond by telling them I’d prefer to make a donation in their name to a better charity?

—Charity Challenged

Re: I want to support my cousin, her charity of choice makes me squicky.

• >I’m judging their choice of foundations
    is the same as 
    >respond by telling them I’d prefer to make a donation in their name to a better charity
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015

"It's YOUR money - there are other ways to support them instead of giving to groups that call themselves charities but aren't.. "

The eldest's school does these types of fundraisers and it's hard to explain to DD "This "charity" is absolute CRAP and I'm not giving you money to give to them - I'll buy you a da** squeaky duck for $1, but I'm not giving you $75 to get it as a donation to a crap organization!!!"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards