Wedding Reception Forum

What would you prefer for guest seating?

We are having a fairly small wedding, 33 people.
4 tables total. The first 2 tables are our families and then the last table our friends.

Should I do a seating chart and then name place cards at their seat? OR

No seating chart, but just assign them a table and they can decide where they sit?

****Both options are assigned tables, sorry maybe I didn't word it correctly.

Assigned table and you pick your own seat OR

Assigned table and your seat is assigned too?

Re: What would you prefer for guest seating?

• Assigned tables.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I prefer assigned tables.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Assigned tables.
    *********************************************************************************

• Assigned tables.
  • Assigned tables.

• Both options are assigned tables, sorry maybe I didn't word it correctly.

• Assigned table, choose own seat
  • assigned tables, NOT assigned seat
  • Assigned tables, no assigned seat.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    Both options are assigned tables, sorry maybe I didn't word it correctly.

Well if you are assigned the seat, the table would automatically be assigned, no?

That is why myself and others said just "assigned tables" because you can't assign me a seat without assigning me a table first.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited June 2015
    Gosh, sorry if I'm not making sense.

All guests will be assigned a table. and then they can either decide where to sit at that assigned table or they will have an assigned seat at that assigned table.

I've been to weddings where I saw both done. I'm just not sure what I want to do.
  • Gosh, sorry if I'm not making sense.

All guests will be assigned a table. and then they can either decide where to sit at that assigned table or they will have an assigned seat at that assigned table.

I've been to weddings where I saw both done. I'm just not sure what I want to do.
    I vote for this option - it's nice to give the guests the freedom to choose which chair they sit in at their assigned table.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    You are way over-thinking this.

Your options are:

open seating  - everyone picks where they sit

Assigned tables - you pick the table.  They pick the seat at the table.

Assigned seats.  -  You pick the exact seat they are going to be sitting at, which by default assigned the table too.

Everyone so far as chosen just assigned tables.

• lyndausvi said:
    You are way over-thinking this.

Your options are:

open seating  - everyone picks where they sit

Assigned tables - you pick the table.  They pick the seat at the table.

Assigned seats.  -  You pick the exact seat they are going to be sitting at, which by default assigned the table too.

Everyone so far as chosen just assigned tables.

Yep, I'm an over thinker for sure!

• Assigned tables for sure! 
  • Both options are assigned tables, sorry maybe I didn't word it correctly.

FYI - "assigned tables" = assigning a table and no seat....

"assigned seats" = assigning a certain seat at a certain table.

I think this was everyone's confusion. Sorry. My vote is for assigned tables.
    *********************************************************************************

• Gosh, sorry if I'm not making sense.

Yes, people understand what you're saying.  When they reply with "assign tables" it's shorthand for "assign tables, not seats." 

• I prefer assigned seats, personally.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:

I prefer assigned seats, personally.

I don't. I've seen MIL rearrange the place cards so she can sit next to BIL while she tried to split him from his wife who was six mos pregnant. It's not the hosts fault that she did this but I think people take an editorial approach as guests to the assigned seats.
  • hellohkb said:
    I prefer assigned seats, personally.

I'm curious as to why.
  • When you have a typical 8-person type of table as you're planning, I vote for just assigned tables. I think assigned seats are better for when you can't easily assign tables...like if you had 2 long tables instead of 4 round tables, for example. You don't want the last couple to get there and not have 2 seats together! This doesn't happen with only 8-person tables, especially round tables. 

For our rehearsal dinner we had about the same number of people (34 I think) and the set up was 2 long tables, so we assigned the seats. It was a way to make sure people got to sit with who they knew, and no one got separated, and we got to sit next to our parents as we had planned. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards