Chit Chat

Annoying tourists (today's whining)

I'm exhausted. Too much on my mind and a missing bottle of melatonin.

I hop on the train for my commute at the end of the line, at an airport. Lots of tourists. I have some tourist grab my arm to get my attention. Apparently, she wanted to ask a locals for directions - she didn't want to wait for a transit cop or rep.

Don't fucking touch me.

I was clearly too polite because the couple thinks we have a rapport and follows me on the train, wanting to chat. My headphones didn't deter them. So instead of listening to my podcast ("Undisclosed," a continuation of the story from "Serial"), I got blathering tourists. And got so thrown off that I forgot to buy coffee.

They follow me off the train and ask directions when we get above ground.

I hate people sometimes. Also angry at myself for not being ruder. May need a donut this morning.

What's bothering you this morning?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Annoying tourists (today's whining)

• That sucks!

My office opens at 8:30. I literally can get here at 8:25 because all I have to do is unlock 4 doors. I manage the facility by myself as the main office for my department is a couple of miles away. I work for a recreation department and my facility houses a lot of different programs, especially in the summer. 

Well, there is a summer camp here right now and I told the lady who was running it that we open at 8:30 and I usually get here a few minutes before. Well I got to my office at 8:10 this morning because I left my makeup bag here and wanted to have time to do my makeup before I opened up. The lady got here at 8:15. I reminded her that most mornings I won't be here this early because I don't want her waiting. 

It just bothers me that she is taking advantage of my time. I'm salary. I don't get paid extra to work an extra 2.5 hours a week. I know it's not a big deal but it was a little annoying.

She also said, "Good girl" when I opened the door for her. Who says that to a 24 year old? Who says that to anyone other than a toddler or a dog?

• I'm annoyed that DD almost went off to summer camp going commando in her shorts because she didn't see the difference between them and bathing suit bottoms.   And who handles the crap like that in the middle of the day?  Mom does.

With the long weekend approaching it's going to be tourist season in full swing.   I'm going to get to "look forward" to a drive on I-95 now taking double to triple the length of time that it should as the population of my town explodes.   

• I'm annoyed with my out of office response!  I'm leaving Friday to visit my sister and meet my niece (!!!) and tried to schedule my auto response to start Friday and it keeps randomly clicking on.

Maybe I should just leave it and start my vacay early!
  • Boston gets all kind of tourists around the 4th. I also have the joy of taking the train with them during rush hour. I don't mind getting asked for directions if I look semi-relaxed, but I have zero patience for the amount of people waddling around the train station in packs of 7 all staring at their phones or texting, completely unaware of the commuters trying to get by them to make their trains.

• banana468 said:
    I'm annoyed that DD almost went off to summer camp going commando in her shorts because she didn't see the difference between them and bathing suit bottoms.   And who handles the crap like that in the middle of the day?  Mom does.

With the long weekend approaching it's going to be tourist season in full swing.   I'm going to get to "look forward" to a drive on I-95 now taking double to triple the length of time that it should as the population of my town explodes.   

ugh, I-95 sucks. You are in CT, right? We live in Larchmont and the traffic on 95 just gets miserable in the summer.
  • While not me, a friend lives in a beach town.  She was up early walking on the board walk, which is VERY wide.  At least 25 feet wide, if not more.  She was run over by a 16 year old on a bike!  She was knocked down and then had her ankle run over.  She has a huge bruise and welt on her calf not to mention the pain to her ankle.  She said she fell down and started crying instantly from the pain.  The girl on the bike (who was with her whole family), just turns and says Sorry and keeps riding.  My friend pulls herself together and finds a bench.  Before my friend could even get herself together enough to walk off the boardwalk back to her house, the family comes back her way.  She yells at them that she is really hurt and it would have been nice if they stopped to actually see if she was ok since she was run over.  The grandfather yells back, F you.  Isn't that lovely?
  • While not me, a friend lives in a beach town.  She was up early walking on the board walk, which is VERY wide.  At least 25 feet wide, if not more.  She was run over by a 16 year old on a bike!  She was knocked down and then had her ankle run over.  She has a huge bruise and welt on her calf not to mention the pain to her ankle.  She said she fell down and started crying instantly from the pain.  The girl on the bike (who was with her whole family), just turns and says Sorry and keeps riding.  My friend pulls herself together and finds a bench.  Before my friend could even get herself together enough to walk off the boardwalk back to her house, the family comes back her way.  She yells at them that she is really hurt and it would have been nice if they stopped to actually see if she was ok since she was run over.  The grandfather yells back, F you.  Isn't that lovely?
    OMG who the hell treats people that way?!! That is awful 
  • emmaaa said:
    That sucks!

My office opens at 8:30. I literally can get here at 8:25 because all I have to do is unlock 4 doors. I manage the facility by myself as the main office for my department is a couple of miles away. I work for a recreation department and my facility houses a lot of different programs, especially in the summer. 

Well, there is a summer camp here right now and I told the lady who was running it that we open at 8:30 and I usually get here a few minutes before. Well I got to my office at 8:10 this morning because I left my makeup bag here and wanted to have time to do my makeup before I opened up. The lady got here at 8:15. I reminded her that most mornings I won't be here this early because I don't want her waiting. 

It just bothers me that she is taking advantage of my time. I'm salary. I don't get paid extra to work an extra 2.5 hours a week. I know it's not a big deal but it was a little annoying.

She also said, "Good girl" when I opened the door for her. Who says that to a 24 year old? Who says that to anyone other than a toddler or a dog?
    That would piss me off so badly. If a guy said it, it would be considered sexist. With a woman saying it, it feels sexist, just more passive-aggressively. Or something like that -- it rubs me the wrong way and I'm not sure exactly why.
  • I'm annoyed this morning cuz of Brad. I guess I can't blame this one directly on him (we think his brother is responsible for this), but H just got the info for Brad's bachelor party. It's local, it's not like a big vacation or a destination party or anything, but for some reason it's going to cost "at least $500 per person, not including food." Um... how? 

Obviously this is not my problem and not my thing to be concerned about. And H already told him he can't go because we don't have that kind of money right now (not to mention it's on a week day and H doesn't have the vacation time). If it were any other person, I wouldn't give it a second thought. But everything involving Brad just automatically annoys me. 
  • I work at a tourist destination, so I'm with you on the tourists.  Yay summer.  Sometimes I feel sorry for them, seems like we put up a new sign every 6 months designating which entrance is employees only vs. visitors, but it's still confusing.  

My whine is I actually made my hair look nice today (normally useless once we hit May) and of course I've been out in the plant (almost 100 deg) running around like a crazy person. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Washington DC turns into a zoo in the summer because of tourists.  It's made worse by the metro system because tourists don't know (ostensibly) to stand on the right, walk on the left.  And waiting for tourists figure out the paper metro cards. 

The worst part is that the Smithsonian museums are GREAT places to go when it's hot and you need something to do (because they are free) but they're PACKED.  Especially the museum of natural history.  Thank god the tourists haven't really discovered the National Portrait Gallery.

The only time this city is less fun is during the cherry blossom festival.  I just go to the tidal basin at about 6 in the morning that Saturday to see them and then leave town immediately.

• edited June 2015
    My rant:

I'm on a telecon with my company trying to explain why we are taking 18 months to complete a project while a competitor did it in 3.  My VP didn't show up for the call, client has a VP level exec on the call, which does not reflect well on us.  I hate not being able to make people just bend to my will and do what I say.  

ETA  edited b/c I want OTHERS to bend to my will, not me.  Haha
    OMG who the hell treats people that way?!! That is awful 

I know.  We worked together down there at a restaurant, so we know how the tourists are first hand.  I told her "I'd like to say I'm surprised by their actions, but I'm not."  And her whole incident is why they only allow bikes on the boardwalk between 5 AM & 11 AM and ban them for the rest of the day. 

If I were her though, I'd have called the police and go up there everyday the rest of the week to catch them again - so that they could be ticketed for what happened to her.  I mean, they even came back that way AFTER running her over, so you know they probably rode their bikes up there every morning.

That is absolutely disgusting behavior.
  • sarahufl said:
    banana468 said:
    I'm annoyed that DD almost went off to summer camp going commando in her shorts because she didn't see the difference between them and bathing suit bottoms.   And who handles the crap like that in the middle of the day?  Mom does.

ugh, I-95 sucks. You are in CT, right? We live in Larchmont and the traffic on 95 just gets miserable in the summer.
    YES.   I'm in CT and live on the coast.   It's a great place to live but the traffic and entitlement explosion that is tourist season is really annoying.   But the explosion also means that some great restaurants are open and I can't complain about that. 
  • I live in a tourist town as well, generally as soon as the summer starts I just don't drive down to the main lake where the main town is. I think it's great for the local economy and have less complaints than most on here (I don't take public transit anywhere so it's easier to avoid people) except that it would be nice if people learned to use the crosswalk! I always plan extra time to get places during the summer because I know there will be more traffic and pedestrians, but it would be nice to not have to worry about potentially running one over in the middle of the road. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    sarahufl said:
    banana468 said:

YES.   I'm in CT and live on the coast.   It's a great place to live but the traffic and entitlement explosion that is tourist season is really annoying.   But the explosion also means that some great restaurants are open and I can't complain about that. 
    That's how my hometown is. It's on Lake Michigan so it's definitely a summer town and gets tons of tourists and a lot more traffic (although it doesn't sound as bad as your area). So a lot of restaurants are only open in the summer which is exciting, but then they're always packed cuz of the tourists so it's like a catch 22. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    Our rescue climbed into bed at 4:30am.  He never does that.  It woke me up and I smelled something.  Went to spare room to see had shit (a lot of it too) and pissed on the carpet.  This is the first time he has ever pissed in the house.  He has shit once or twice in the last year.

I went down 2 flights of stairs, got the steam cleaner and carried it back up the 2 flights.   I was steam cleaning the spare bedroom at 4:45 fucking am.        DH is about 20 feet away in our room sleeping like a baby.  He NEVER woke up.   

The bulldog was annoyed that the rescue was in bed so he felt the need to sleep on my head. You know, to be closer to me then the rescue.  So I have the rescue on my feet and legs. The bulldog on my head.  Needless to say I didn't really get much more sleep.

DH woke up all refreshed this morning and didn't even question why the steam cleaner was out.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • While I am super excited that tomorrow is a day off, mid week stat holidays are brutal. Seriously. I have to come back to work for two more days?

• banana468 said:
    sarahufl said:
    banana468 said:

That's how my hometown is. It's on Lake Michigan so it's definitely a summer town and gets tons of tourists and a lot more traffic (although it doesn't sound as bad as your area). So a lot of restaurants are only open in the summer which is exciting, but then they're always packed cuz of the tourists so it's like a catch 22. 
    Yeah - we've learned to try to time our meals to be slightly off the lunch / dinner rush as a result.   There's a great place that's on the water and the food is served on cafeteria trays but you have such a great view you forget about it.   Plus it's BYOB so who doesn't like to enjoy their own alcohol!
  • We are about to have a huge influx of tourists, though only for 2 weeks luckily. I live in the 'burbs now, and I can't be thankful enough I don't have to deal with them!

@soontobemrsklein Can you not take a day in lieu? I'm working wed, taking another friday off so it is a real long weekend. No traffic, plus it'll be quiet in the office.

• MrsMack10612MrsMack10612 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited June 2015
    I travel in & out of North Station in Boston.  I have decided they need to make a rule - no tourists, sporting events or concerts between the hours of 8-10am and 4-7pm.

Too many people wandering around who can't get out of their own damn way.  Move, I'm trying to catch a flippin train!

My reply didn't work - @peachy13

• These posts make me happy I moved out of tourist country. In MN, it's the lakes that get super busy in the summer. My parents live in a lake town and I learned to take back roads or budget more travel time when going places in the summer. And of course to generally stay away from public beaches.

Now we live in the city which is probably not as busy during tourist season, unless you're going to the Mall of America. And that's often a zoo no matter the time of year. I also avoid using one or two of the highways on Fridays/Sundays when everyone is leaving the city to go to the lakes.
  • I travel in & out of North Station in Boston.  I have decided they need to make a rule - no tourists, sporting events or concerts between the hours of 8-10am and 4-7pm.

Too many people wandering around who can't get out of their own damn way.  Move, I'm trying to catch a flippin train!
    Haha, try depending on the Green Line when the Red Sox are playing... (which is like every other day from April through October, I'll point out).
  • We are about to have a huge influx of tourists, though only for 2 weeks luckily. I live in the 'burbs now, and I can't be thankful enough I don't have to deal with them!

@soontobemrsklein Can you not take a day in lieu? I'm working wed, taking another friday off so it is a real long weekend. No traffic, plus it'll be quiet in the office.

Unfortunately because it is the beginning of the month, I have to do payroll and other month end things on Thursday and Friday, the only other girl that could do my job already booked off the rest of the week so that sticks me here. 

• I travel in & out of North Station in Boston.  I have decided they need to make a rule - no tourists, sporting events or concerts between the hours of 8-10am and 4-7pm.

Haha, try depending on the Green Line when the Red Sox are playing... (which is like every other day from April through October, I'll point out).

I know exactly what you mean, I take the Greenline to/from my office from North Station.

• arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    peachy13 said:
    Boston gets all kind of tourists around the 4th. I also have the joy of taking the train with them during rush hour. I don't mind getting asked for directions if I look semi-relaxed, but I have zero patience for the amount of people waddling around the train station in packs of 7 all staring at their phones or texting, completely unaware of the commuters trying to get by them to make their trains.

I live on the Red Line and I purposely wear earbuds and don't make eye contact, otherwise I get eleventy billion requests for help. I don't like to talk while commuting.
  • emmaaa said:

When I hired an extra lifeguard for DD's pool party, the woman at the pool management company actually said, over the phone, "YAAAAAAAAY, you!"  I was <this> close to hanging up.

I know exactly what you mean, I take the Greenline to/from my office from North Station.

Oh, I pity you - Red Sox, Celtics, and concert crowds!!! Oh, also, can I mention how much the college kids in this town drive me crazy when I'm trying to get from point A to point B?!?!? I'm an Orange Line girl these days, which is a wonderful relief after years on the Red Line and then the Green Line.

Oh, I pity you - Red Sox, Celtics, and concert crowds!!! Oh, also, can I mention how much the college kids in this town drive me crazy when I'm trying to get from point A to point B?!?!? I'm an Orange Line girl these days, which is a wonderful relief after years on the Red Line and then the Green Line.
    Don't forget the Bruins!  Unfortunately, I also live in a tourist town, so I can't even get away from it at home.  April-November are the worst.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards