Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Too little?

I'm expecting to have a very small and intimate wedding. I'd like to have 100 guests, but most of our family lives out-of-state, and it would be very difficult for them to come. Therefore, I expect around 50.

My venue offers 60" round tables, and I know they seat 8-10, but I was wondering if I sat only 5 per table, would the space between people be really awkward?

The venue is rather large for the wedding I'm planning, but I still really wanted a gorgeous venue. I can put up temporary fabric walls to define space. I just...wanna maximize the look so that the reception seems bigger than it actually is.

Re: Too little?

• Options
    I think it would be just fine.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I'm expecting to have a very small and intimate wedding. I'd like to have 100 guests, but most of our family lives out-of-state, and it would be very difficult for them to come. Therefore, I expect around 50. My venue offers 60" round tables, and I know they seat 8-10, but I was wondering if I sat only 5 per table, would the space between people be really awkward? The venue is rather large for the wedding I'm planning, but I still really wanted a gorgeous venue. I can put up temporary fabric walls to define space. I just...wanna maximize the look so that the reception seems bigger than it actually is.
    I would go ahead and put 7-8 people at the tables and just spread them out a bit.  I think it would be nice to be spread out a little.  Sometimes I like pushing my chair back so my legs aren't under the table when I talk to someone.  It would be nice to be able to do this without being in the way of people trying to walk around you.  Put all the tables together in one area, have the dance floor in a slightly different area.  Have the bar, dessert table, cake, appetizers in slightly different areas.  You don't have to have everything up against a wall and all the tables crunched up in the middle of the room.

Also, you might be pleasantly surprised at how many people will travel to attend your wedding.
  • Options
    I was at a wedding recently that had open seating.   There was 5 of us at a 60 inch.    It was kind-of awkward.   Partly due to size, partly due to the CP, we only used really half the table if we wanted to actually talk to each other.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    MandyMostMandyMost member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    This is a great resource for seating, and suggests fewer than 6 people per 60" table is awkward. Also, since most people attend weddings as part of a couple, you likely want to aim for even numbers at each table. Even if you do have a lot of single guests, you probably don't want to put one single and 2 couples at each table, that would be a bit awkward for every table to have that.

Does your venue not have any other options for tables? Maybe long tables, for instance?

• Options
    I'm expecting to have a very small and intimate wedding. I'd like to have 100 guests, but most of our family lives out-of-state, and it would be very difficult for them to come. Therefore, I expect around 50. My venue offers 60" round tables, and I know they seat 8-10, but I was wondering if I sat only 5 per table, would the space between people be really awkward? The venue is rather large for the wedding I'm planning, but I still really wanted a gorgeous venue. I can put up temporary fabric walls to define space. I just...wanna maximize the look so that the reception seems bigger than it actually is.
    100 guests is not a small, intimate wedding.  That's a pretty typical sized event.  I wouldn't count on a 50% decline rate, just because ppl are OOT.  That has gotten many people into trouble across these boards over the years.  You should assume 100% attendance.

I think you'll be fine seating 5 or 6 people at those tables.  Venues will tell you that a 60" round can seat 10 people, but they really can't, not comfortably.  The max that is comfortable at those tables is 8 adults.  Any more than that feels really cramped with the centerpieces, table settings, favors, etc. all jammed onto the table.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    We have a 60" table on our sun porch. The best seating configuration I've found is 6 people. Eight is definitely doable, but a little snug (I would never even try to squeeze in 10). Four is too empty (and I think 5 would be too). 

Six feels full but spacious. 

If I were you, I would do 7 - 60" tables with 6 people each = 42 guests; then one additional 60" table with 8 people = all 50 guests.

You really won't know how many tables you'll need or seating configurations until you get your RSVPs back and do your table assignments (if doing). 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    We had 60" tables at our wedding and sat 6-8 people per table. Everyone had enough room so they weren't bumping elbows but not so much room that it felt awkward.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    MandyMost said:

Does your venue not have any other options for tables? Maybe long tables, for instance?

My venue provides (40) 60" round tables, (6) 8' rectangular tables, (2) 6' rectangular tables, (2) 36" round tables, and (6) 7' wood parson tables.
  • Options
    We did a mix of rounds and squares of different sizes.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I think 6-8 people per table sounds reasonable.
  • Options
    I would do at least 6 per table. This way it will be easier to figure out seating. With odd number seats, depending on how many couples you have, you may end up with extra tables so you don't have to split up couples which then leaves you with only 4 people per table and having to plan for a lot of extra center pieces.
  • Options
    I would have thought that 6 per table would be about correct, or maybe you should consider expanding your invitation list?
  • Options
    I would have thought that 6 per table would be about correct, or maybe you should consider expanding your invitation list?
    What?  No, you don't expand your invitation list just to be able to put more people per table.  That is the most ridiculous piece of advice I have ever heard.

• Options
    MandyMost said:

My venue provides (40) 60" round tables, (6) 8' rectangular tables, (2) 6' rectangular tables, (2) 36" round tables, and (6) 7' wood parson tables.
    You can probably fit 8 people at an 8' rectangular table (4 on each side), so that would 48 people right there. Either as 6 separate tables, or two long tables (each one 24 feet long, with 12 guests per side).  And maybe a round table as the head table, if you wanted. Or as someone else mentioned you could do a mixture of rectangular and round tables (that's what I did...I thought all round looks too much like a typical banquet hall). 

I'd suggest you sit down with the venue contact and discuss a variety of different table arrangements to see what you like. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards