Wedding Woes

My daughter caught me loving myself

Dear Prudence,
I’m the mother of a 9-year-old daughter. It’s often my habit to pleasure myself during the early afternoon when I have the house to myself. But last week, my daughter who was at an activity, unexpectedly biked home early. I didn’t hear her come in through the front door, as I was at that point quite deep into one of my solo sessions. Imagine my surprise when she burst through my bedroom door to say hello! I frantically threw the covers over myself and pretended as if nothing was wrong, but my daughter clearly looked a bit shocked. How can I possibly talk to her about this? I consider myself liberal and would want to convey to her that masturbation is healthy and natural. But how do I reconcile this with my own sense of shame and my urgent desire for her not to tell anyone about this? Even worse, can I get in legal trouble? Haven’t I exposed myself to a minor, albeit inadvertently?

—Frantic Mom

Re: My daughter caught me loving myself

• >Haven’t I exposed myself to a minor, albeit inadvertently?

she has a child! like that kid hasn't walked into the bathroom during shower/pooping A SCHMILLION TIMES and asked if she can watch tv.
  • "You need to knock on the bedroom door when it's closed. That means I want privacy, and you are old enough to understand that sometimes people need their privacy. The other day, I was doing something pleasurable that most people do - but they do it in private. Do you have any other questions?" 

Also, kid is 9, and has probably forgotten all about it. 
  • Our 4yo knows that she needs to knock on our bedroom door and wait until we tell her she can open it/come in. 

i2i with @baconsmom
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards