Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Advice: Invite/RSVP design color

Hi all! I'm looking for advice/opinions on doing our invites and RSVP cards in complementary colors instead of the same color. I'm hoping I can DIY the invites and print them at home on linen cardstock, and then get the RSVP postcards printed through VistaPrint (double sided printing at home scares me a little).  Do you think this looks okay together? (Do people care much, anyways?) We're hosting a non-traditional wedding.  Also looking for your ideas/advice on the gray border on the invite - I thought it might help pull together the colors. 

I've attached the invite (which would be on white paper) and then the front of the RSVP postcard. The back of the RSVP postcard would be white with writing in the gray text.

Re: Advice: Invite/RSVP design color

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    I really don't like the last line on the invitation.  "Reception to follow" is what is used.
    Have you posted your wording, yet?

We used postcards for RSVP, and had no problem.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    They look like they belong together. I do think the border helps with that, but I've just started researching printing my invitations, and it's making me wary of printing right up against the edge. Are you set up for full-bleed margins and trimming at home? If not, I think the colors and fonts still make it feel cohesive without the border. And no, your guests probably won't care whether the invitation and RSVP match; the fact that they arrive in the same envelope are a pretty big clue that they go together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @lachattefatale - We would be set up for full-bleed margins and would do the trimming at home - but you're right, I'm also wary of printing up against the edge. Even if the border was a little inside from the border, there's chances it could mess up in the printer and be a little lopsided, making everything more difficult!

@CMGragain - Thanks for your thoughts. We're going for a more modern invite since it's a non-traditional wedding. Everything's at the same venue, including the ceremony, reception, and then after-party.  But I'll be sure to do some more reading/research on what seems to go well! 
  • Options
    We don't mind non-traditional wording, as long as it clearly states who, what, when and where, and doesn't violate etiquette with the bride and groom directly inviting guests to their own wedding, which is a celebration in their own honor.
    What is so non-traditional about everything being held in the same location?  This is done all the time.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I was just giving the example of everything at one location - this has not been done all the time in my family, so it's definitely non-traditional based on what my extended family (over 100 people) is used to. We are not following many of the traditions that seem to be apparent in wedding preparations because it's not really our style. So in being non-traditional, I don't really like the sound of 'reception to follow' on our invitations, so I was going for something a little different. 
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    Something different is fine, but describing the  food and entertainment that will be offered, (eg. "Dinner and dancing" ) is considered inappropriate.  It sounds a bit like bragging.
    Whatever food, cocktails, or entertainment you offer your family is all under the umbrella of "reception".   "Reception after the ceremony" might be an option.
    I think being non-traditional is just fine.  You do want to avoid be confusing or rude, though.
    Best wishes!  We are always glad to help.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Something different is fine, but describing the  food and entertainment that will be offered, (eg. "Dinner and dancing" ) is considered inappropriate.  It sounds a bit like bragging.
    Whatever food, cocktails, or entertainment you offer your family is all under the umbrella of "reception".   "Reception after the ceremony" might be an option.
    I think being non-traditional is just fine.  You do want to avoid be confusing or rude, though.
    Honest question - How does that sound like bragging? We used "reception to follow" but if I saw "dinner and dancing to follow" on an invite I wouldn't think "ick, how braggy!" I honestly wouldn't pay attention to it at all. If anything, it's just giving more information for the guest. For example, if I know there's going to be dancing, maybe I won't wear my 4 inch heels that hurt my feet when I dance. Seems like a victimless crime to me.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    kikilamp said:
    CMGragain said:
    Honest question - How does that sound like bragging? We used "reception to follow" but if I saw "dinner and dancing to follow" on an invite I wouldn't think "ick, how braggy!" I honestly wouldn't pay attention to it at all. If anything, it's just giving more information for the guest. For example, if I know there's going to be dancing, maybe I won't wear my 4 inch heels that hurt my feet when I dance. Seems like a victimless crime to me.

Well, a couple wouldn't want their invitation compared to other wedding invitations and declined because the reception was a cocktail or cake and punch reception without dinner and dancing.  Nor would they want it declined by people who oppose dinner and dancing.  So by putting that information on there, the couple could be doing their guests favors at their own expense.

Edited to add: I think @CMGragain might also mean that by putting "dinner and dancing" on the invitation or reception insert, it might be setting up a one-upmanship contest as to who can provide the most or highest-quality hospitality, with "dinner," "dancing," "cocktails," "dessert," etc.  That's not what a wedding reception should be about.  It's rude to accept an invitation and then question the hospitality provided.

• Options
    How is giving extremely abbreviated information about it to invited guests who should probably know what they're attending any more braggy or one-up-y than just...you know...having the stuff?

Also, I kind of feel like merriment is one of those things you should expect at every wedding (unless you're in Game of Thrones) and therefore stating it or not does no harm.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards