Chit Chat

WTF

Background story: 

My mom has a douche bag of a BF whom I dislike very much, and the sentiment is mutual. 

Well this dude's mother felt the need to buy us a wedding gift. I don't know her or have any info on her so I never wrote a thank you note. 

Well it seems she called my mother asking why she hadn't received a note. 

Keep in mind she wasn't invited to the wedding or anything, I don't even know how she found the registry (although I think my mother told her) 

SO I will write her one but I am still a little irked about it since I have never even seen this person in my life

Re: WTF

• JaniV123 said:
    Background story: 

My mom has a douche bag of a BF whom I dislike very much, and the sentiment is mutual. 

Well this dude's mother felt the need to buy us a wedding gift. I don't know her or have any info on her so I never wrote a thank you note. 

Keep in mind she wasn't invited to the wedding or anything, I don't even know how she found the registry (although I think my mother told her) 

SO I will write her one but I am still a little irked about it since I have never even seen this person in my life
    You always write a thank you note...no matter if they are invited to the wedding or not...it's etiquette. 

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• JaniV123 said:

Background story: 

This. I would have asked my mom for contact info... Though I also wouldn't call around demanding to know why I never received a thank you note.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We received gifts from a couple of MIL's friends who weren't invited to the wedding (MIL has a lot of friends, we invited 15 of them!) One of them had bought the gift and their address was on the packing slip, but the other we just asked MIL for her address. It's not that hard. 

I understand you don't like your mother's BF, but if someone buys you a gift, no matter who they are, you express your gratitude to them. If you really didn't want the gift, you should have returned it to her.

• Anyone has the right to send you a gift.  You are obligated to write them a thank you note ASAP.  This was your etiquette fail.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Anyone has the right to send you a gift.  You are obligated to write them a thank you note ASAP.  This was your etiquette fail.
    Pretty sure a stalker or someone you have a restraining order against doesn't have a right to send you a gift. This isn't the case in this situation, but just saying it's not always "anyone".

• Wow!  I never thought of that!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Someone sends you a gift, you write a thank you note. To, y'know, thank them for the gift they sent. 

This was a big etiquette fail on your part. 
  • Um, yeah- why didn't you feel the need to thank her? That is really rude.
  • Just because your mom's boyfriend is a douche doesn't mean you should treat anyone associated with him poorly... she took the time out to do something nice and it would have been easy to have your mom get her address.

• Yeah I guess I didn't see it that way, and I may have over reacted. I will write the note ASAP and get it to her. I think I did ask my mom for her info but I never got it so I didn't think about it again. 

I didn't mean for it to be rude on purpose

• JaniV123 said:
    Yeah I guess I didn't see it that way, and I may have over reacted. I will write the note ASAP and get it to her. I think I did ask my mom for her info but I never got it so I didn't think about it again. 

I didn't mean for it to be rude on purpose
    Glad to hear it!

Also, it's very easy to find someone's registry. You just search the usual places that people register. Or just google their name. My friend just had a baby and I was never told if or where she was registered. I just put her name into babys R us and found her registry and bought her a present. 

• That's a strange reaction to someone sending you a gift. She did nothing wrong. When she didn't receive a thank you note, she wondered if you received her gift because she assumed you have good manners and would have sent a thank you note. 

• The gift box didn't have a return address or shipping/billing label? That would be my first look for an address for a TY note.

• Some of my mom's coworkers were kind enough to split on a giftcard for H and I. I only had the address of one coworker, so I called my mom up and asked if she had them, or if not, could she help me get them. I sent them right away once I had addresses.

None of these people were invited to the wedding.

I was absolutely delighted they were generous enough to send a gift. You shouldn't consider it an annoyance to write a gracious note to her, whether or not you've met her. It was rude of you to not bother in the first place.

image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yep, like others said, you need to write a thank you even if you don't know them or they weren't invited to the wedding.  I received a few gifts from friends of my mom that I had never met.  I asked my mom for addresses so I could send thank you notes.  For a couple of them I found addresses online (whitepages.com, etc.), just by knowing their full name & city (may not work if they have common names like John Smith or something), before my mom was even able to get back to me with addresses.

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    We received gifts from quite a few people who were not invited to the wedding.  A few were just mere acquaintances from work (i.e. guests who have been coming to the resort who have known us for years).     Of course, we sent them TY notes.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Uhhhh yeah OP this is your mistake.

FWIW, H and I received a wedding gift from his aunt a few months after the wedding. I'd never met her, she wasn't invited to the wedding and she called me a bitch on facebook several years ago. We got her address and sent her a thank you card. NBD. 

Send her a thank you and move on with your life. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards