Snarky Brides

Sign Snark

I found this screenshot from Tumblr on my Facebook newsfeed:

Re: Sign Snark

• Is it really that hard to rope a cousin into standing at the end of the aisle and telling people there's no assigned sides? Must we be reduced to faux-weathering and cutesy wording?
  • I just lol'd at the comments at the bottom.
  • The comments are pretty funny.

I guess at the end of the day for me signs really do not bother me. Victimless crime in my opinion. I mean if I went to a wedding and there was a sign that said "God hates...<fill in whatever example you want from history here>" Now that would offend me, obviously. But "pick a seat not a side" is harmless.

We are not having any signs. Well we will have 2 table charts posted so people can find their seats has easily as possible and a "Welcome" sign by the guest book just to round out the table. As far as the other signs like "Bride" and "Groom" on the back of a chair I know its just a photo thing and if that is what they want no biggie. LOL if we get to the end of the night and the only thing I can snark on is a sign or two the couple did a good job, unfortunately these days it seems like more and more people replace good hosting with pintrest stuff. 
  • aliwis000 said:
    The comments are pretty funny.

I guess at the end of the day for me signs really do not bother me. Victimless crime in my opinion. I mean if I went to a wedding and there was a sign that said "God hates...<fill in whatever example you want from history here>" Now that would offend me, obviously. But "pick a seat not a side" is harmless.

We are not having any signs. Well we will have 2 table charts posted so people can find their seats has easily as possible and a "Welcome" sign by the guest book just to round out the table. As far as the other signs like "Bride" and "Groom" on the back of a chair I know its just a photo thing and if that is what they want no biggie. LOL if we get to the end of the night and the only thing I can snark on is a sign or two the couple did a good job, unfortunately these days it seems like more and more people replace good hosting with pintrest stuff. 
    I personally find having signs for every little thing to be cheesy and overdone, and cringe-worthy if accompanied by cutesy rhyming. I know that's just my opinion, however, and "that's not to my taste" isn't really a valid criticism of someone else's wedding as long as the thing isn't actually rude. The real issue I have with sign madness and the accompanying push for them on pinterest/wedding sites is I feel like they contribute to DIY mania and, subsequently, to unnecessary spending either on loads of one-time-use materials or on having someone else DIY it for you when you find you lack the skill/time. This narrative push recently in the WIC that every single detail of your ceremony and reception MUST be thought out, personalized, and unique (in that wholly not-unique way) has been creating a lot of stress and anxiety around the idea that a wedding is a failure if you haven't personally weathered your hand-painted chalk-boards and then individually applied sequins... or paid someone on etsy hundreds of dollars to do it for you. 
  • Sign away.....  Some brides strive to be featured on one of these wedding websites.  If it's not hurting anyone, then who cares?  I bet that preparing for a wedding becomes a hobby for some, and they get so invested that they are able to cover every single detail of their reception with or without the stress.  
  • Sign away.....  Some brides strive to be featured on one of these wedding websites.  If it's not hurting anyone, then who cares?  I bet that preparing for a wedding becomes a hobby for some, and they get so invested that they are able to cover every single detail of their reception with or without the stress.  
    Sometimes it isn't about hurting but it can be about whether or not the sort of thing is overdone.

Burlap and lace doesn't really hurt anyone (unless it's what you're using as a napkin) but the stuff is now cliche.   And the signage is going that way too. 
    Because that culture is hurting people? I would guess most of the unnecessary stress people experience when wedding planning comes from the pressure to live up to pinterest/TLC/wedding websites and it's not taking away from people who enjoy that sort of thing to point out that on the whole, it's incredibly capitalistic and unnecessary.
  • banana468 said:
    Sign away.....  Some brides strive to be featured on one of these wedding websites.  If it's not hurting anyone, then who cares?  I bet that preparing for a wedding becomes a hobby for some, and they get so invested that they are able to cover every single detail of their reception with or without the stress.  
    Sometimes it isn't about hurting but it can be about whether or not the sort of thing is overdone.

Burlap and lace doesn't really hurt anyone (unless it's what you're using as a napkin) but the stuff is now cliche.   And the signage is going that way too. 
    I think a lot of stuff is over done. But our generations signage is my aunts generations puffy sleeved gown and beaded head jewelry. Fads come and go and just because we might have seen something on pintrest a million times does not, in my mind, mean someone cannot use it if their heart is set on it. Now if they use it thinking it is unique they have a surprise coming for them. :)

If I got to a wedding with signs everywhere I would probably think "well that is a bunch of signs" and move on with life. If this was what the couple wanted and everyone is hosted properly then woohoo, party time. But if they never bothered to count the number of people they invited and make sure there were enough chairs that is a different issue. I would probably think  "they had all this time for signs but no time for a head count?"

• I dislike unnecessary signs, like the signs on Pinterest that the little ring bearer or flower girls hold saying "here comes the bride," etc. (eyeroll) and all the signs pointing guests to the bar or to the ceremony -- would they be able to figure it out if the signs weren't there? Then no signs.

I do however like signs when signs are needed. I appreciate knowing what the signature cocktail is if there is one, that way I know my drink order by the time I reach the bar (I bet the busy bartender appreciates these signs too). I even appreciate a good hashtag sign for instagram users. I think it encourages people to take more pictures and it's fun looking through everyone else's pictures from the one hashtag. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Because that culture is hurting people? I would guess most of the unnecessary stress people experience when wedding planning comes from the pressure to live up to pinterest/TLC/wedding websites and it's not taking away from people who enjoy that sort of thing to point out that on the whole, it's incredibly capitalistic and unnecessary.
    Sign away.....  Some brides strive to be featured on one of these wedding websites.  If it's not hurting anyone, then who cares?  I bet that preparing for a wedding becomes a hobby for some, and they get so invested that they are able to cover every single detail of their reception with or without the stress.  
    I'm still trying to make the connection how making signs is really hurting anyone?  If brides are comparing themselves to others or trying to live up to an unrealistic standards that really is a stress they are knowingly putting on themselves. 
  • edited July 2015
    I'm still trying to make the connection how making signs is really hurting anyone?  If brides are comparing themselves to others or trying to live up to an unrealistic standards that really is a stress they are knowingly putting on themselves. 
    Because, as I said in the comment  you quoted, it's part of a larger culture of consumerism and idealism around weddings in this country, and no one is putting the pressure "on themselves" if every aspect of the industry, from sites to vendors to TV shows, are all pushing the same consumerist narrative and unrealistic perfectionist ideals. 
    Because, as I said in the comment  you quoted, it's part of a larger culture of consumerism and idealism around weddings in this country, and no one is putting the pressure "on themselves" if every aspect of the industry, from sites to vendors to TV shows, are all pushing the same consumerist narrative and unrealistic perfectionist ideals. 

I have made signage for my wedding.  Am I adding to that culture that is hurting everyone?  I better go pay some penance right now.  
  • While I agree that those signs are just one more added PITA thing that take time or $$ away from more important crap, when it comes to "cliche" I doubt there are many weddings that don't contain at least a couple of things that others view that way. As far as "capitalistic and unnecessary" are concerned, anything above and beyond the bare requirements can be considered part of that category. You need a venue (which can easily be free), a minister, 2 witnesses, rings (plain and cheap will do) and a license. Everything else you pay for, from the white gown to the favors and sendoff car are WANTS, not wedding NEEDS. Our society and Bridal magazines have told us that we need some fancy pen/guestbook and cake serving set for it to be a proper wedding.
  • I'm not a fan of signs but greatly appreciate the comments on the OP's picture. Those people get it. LOL! 

• While I agree that those signs are just one more added PITA thing that take time or $$ away from more important crap, when it comes to "cliche" I doubt there are many weddings that don't contain at least a couple of things that others view that way. As far as "capitalistic and unnecessary" are concerned, anything above and beyond the bare requirements can be considered part of that category. You need a venue (which can easily be free), a minister, 2 witnesses, rings (plain and cheap will do) and a license. Everything else you pay for, from the white gown to the favors and sendoff car are WANTS, not wedding NEEDS. Our society and Bridal magazines have told us that we need some fancy pen/guestbook and cake serving set for it to be a proper wedding.

Strictly speaking, the rings aren't required either.
  • vivelepunkvivelepunk member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2015
    Teddy917 said:
    While I agree that those signs are just one more added PITA thing that take time or $$ away from more important crap, when it comes to "cliche" I doubt there are many weddings that don't contain at least a couple of things that others view that way. As far as "capitalistic and unnecessary" are concerned, anything above and beyond the bare requirements can be considered part of that category. You need a venue (which can easily be free), a minister, 2 witnesses, rings (plain and cheap will do) and a license. Everything else you pay for, from the white gown to the favors and sendoff car are WANTS, not wedding NEEDS. Our society and Bridal magazines have told us that we need some fancy pen/guestbook and cake serving set for it to be a proper wedding.
    Strictly speaking, the rings aren't required either.
    We actually didn't even need witnesses. Stealth wedding!!!
  • Here in CO, you can actually marry yourselves... no officiant, no witnesses.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Has anyone seen a "pick a seat not a side" sign that didn't make them roll their eyes?  I'm honestly tempted to just paint "sit wherever you damn want" on a board and be done with it.
  • Or how about just "open seating!"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards