New York-New York City

Hotel Block help in NYC - How many rooms?

Hi! My fiance and I live in Brooklyn and are getting married in 2016. Most of our OOT guests are very familiar with NYC and have their own preference of hotel. Given this and the amount of hotels that exist in NYC we have no idea how many of our guests would partake in our hotel block. We obviously don't want to be stuck paying for the empty rooms. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated! Has anyone else in NYC had this problem?

Re: Hotel Block help in NYC - How many rooms?

• I'm getting married in NJ and just reserved our block of rooms. We are not financially responsible for any of the rooms that do not get booked. If rooms from my block haven't been reserved by a certain date they just go back into the hotel's system as available. 
  • You should work with Kleinfeld Hotel Blocks.  It's a free service and they will give you a big spread sheet that shows which hotels you would have financial responsibility for, or for how many rooms you can block without being financially responsible.  I worked with Sara Hess.

Financial responsibility is called Attrition.  So ask about the attrition policy when you're talking to hotels

Otherwise, I blocked rooms at 3 different hotels based on location and pricing to make sure everyone could be comfortable.
  • We live in BK and are getting married in Queens. I just looked at several hotels that are nearby the venue and made 5-10 room blocks at each. People with different hotel chain preferences can have their pick. We're not financially responsible for unbooked rooms, so it doesn't hurt to have them. It's a nice courtesy to the guests who don't have any info on hotels.
  • Where in NYC are you having your event?  Very often a NYC wedding event at a hotel includes free stay for one nite for bride & groom and you get a great discount for a block of rooms.  Do you have a family member or friend that belongs to the Harvard, Yale or Lawyer's clubs of NYC?  They can get you a block of rooms to save costs on a hotel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards