Attire & Accessories Forum

Tux color indecision

Fi and I went to look at tux options yesterday. He really liked the Black by Vera Wang tux in gray but he also liked the classic black tux. He is not sure which to choose. I am 100% leaving the choice up to him, but we were both wondering whether it would be too monotone if he goes with the gray since the bridesmaid dresses are a dark gray/pewter color. I've attached photos of the dresses and tux. The dresses will all be that color, but each person chose a different style. Our flowers will be shades of purple/ivory and we will probably do a purple tie. 

Is this too much gray? We are probably overthinking this, right?

Re: Tux color indecision

• Overthinking. The two grays don't clash in a photo. The purple in the bouquet gives it some color and interest.
  • With those dresses, I'd go for black tuxes. The dresses are not just also-grey, they are darker-grey and look a little more formal than that grey tux. While they don't clash and will certainly not look too monotone, I think the black will complement the dresses better.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For a tux, I wouldn't wear anything other than black.
  • I would also go with black. It's timeless and classic.

Also, has your FI checked with his GMs about budget? DH had to rent a Vera Wang tux for a wedding he was in and it was like $280 or something. No, they did not ask him about budget. Yes, we were super pissed at them.
    *********************************************************************************

• Yes @SouthernBelle0915 he asked everyone their budget and the consensus was no more than $200. The Vera wang tux at jos a bank is $190 with a $30 off coupon. So it's within budget, but fi was feeling guilty about the price anyway. I think he's leaning towards going with black in a cheaper designer since no other designers seem to have gray.

I like the classic black myself, but wanted him to have what he wants.

Thanks for the replies!
  • We just went this weekend and did the same thing...FI will be in the gray vera wang tux because my girls are in navy.  But with your gray dresses i would go for the black one.  Men's Wearhouse has $40 off coupon and the groom is free after 5 rentals.  We put an additional $40 towards each tux so that the tuxedos wouldn't come out to be so much for them.
  • marie2785marie2785 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    My FI went for black tuxes, since the sales person at Men's Warehouse said it really was the more timeless option when compared to the grey ones.

Just an FYI--the knot must have given my info to Men's Warehouse, because they keep sending me $40 off each rental coupons. That, and a free tux (TO OWN, up to $600) with 5 rentals made that the best local deal for us--it was $130 a groomsmen for the rental, and FI gets a free Calvin Klein tux, which included free alterations. They also carry the Vera Wang tuxes, although we went for Calvin Klein since FI preferred that option. 
  • I actually just came home today to find the $40 off per tux coupon in the mail! It says we can get either a free tux rental or a free suit to own after 5 rentals. We only have 5 people total for tuxes so I guess we could get the free suit...but that wouldn't bring the cost of the tux rentals down anymore. Hmmm. The free suit would be nice but i mostly care about making it cheaper for the guys. Maybe we will put some money toward each tux too. Thanks for that idea :)
  • It really irritates me that grooms get a free rental (or free tux apparently) because their groomsmen are directed to rent a tux from a specific location.  How is that not having the groomsmen subsidize the cost of the tux for the groom?  Not cool, in my opinion.  Now, if you (general you) gave the free rental to someone in your wedding party that was having financial difficulties that would be fine, and if you split the cost for the 5 tuxes between the 6 people so everyone saved a little that would be fine, but just telling your groomsmen to rent a tux at X location so you can get a free rental chaps my ass.

• Viczaesar said:

It really irritates me that grooms get a free rental (or free tux apparently) because their groomsmen are directed to rent a tux from a specific location.  How is that not having the groomsmen subsidize the cost of the tux for the groom?  Not cool, in my opinion.  Now, if you (general you) gave the free rental to someone in your wedding party that was having financial difficulties that would be fine, and if you split the cost for the 5 tuxes between the 6 people so everyone saved a little that would be fine, but just telling your groomsmen to rent a tux at X location so you can get a free rental chaps my ass.

I agree, if we had 6 people we would probably split the savings from the free tux amongst the groomsmen.
  • Agreed on the black, but the grey is just fine!

• The greys are different, so they won't turn into one big grey blob in the photos.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    We just went this weekend and did the same thing...FI will be in the gray vera wang tux because my girls are in navy.  But with your gray dresses i would go for the black one.  Men's Wearhouse has $40 off coupon and the groom is free after 5 rentals.  We put an additional $40 towards each tux so that the tuxedos wouldn't come out to be so much for them.
    Tuxedos are black.  Don't listen to Men's Wearhourse for etiquette advice.  They are only interested in making money.
    I really think that Vera Wang grey thing (I just can't call it a tuxedo!) is going to be the powder blue polyester tux of the 2010s.  Your FI can choose what he wants, but classic black tuxedos are always in style.
    If you really want light grey, why not just have the guys wear a classic two piece grey suit with a white shirt and a long tie?  It can cost less than a Vera Wang tux rental, and they can keep the suits for other occasions.  Grey suits are classic.  I think grey tuxedos are just the current fad.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Contemporary/Contemp_Tuxedos.htm

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @cmgragain thank you for your feedback but we are happy with our charcoal gray tuxedos. 
  • switSwoo00switSwoo00 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2015
    CMGragain said:

We just went this weekend and did the same thing...FI will be in the gray vera wang tux because my girls are in navy.  But with your gray dresses i would go for the black one.  Men's Wearhouse has $40 off coupon and the groom is free after 5 rentals.  We put an additional $40 towards each tux so that the tuxedos wouldn't come out to be so much for them.

Tuxedos are black.  Don't listen to Men's Wearhourse for etiquette advice.  They are only interested in making money.
    I really think that Vera Wang grey thing (I just can't call it a tuxedo!) is going to be the powder blue polyester tux of the 2010s.  Your FI can choose what he wants, but classic black tuxedos are always in style.
    If you really want light grey, why not just have the guys wear a classic two piece grey suit with a white shirt and a long tie?  It can cost less than a Vera Wang tux rental, and they can keep the suits for other occasions.  Grey suits are classic.  I think grey tuxedos are just the current fad.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Contemporary/Contemp_Tuxedos.htm

BOXES BOXES BOXES BOXES

Re; the powder blue tux comparison, I don't really mind that this kind of thing might almost certainly date. Even the most 'classic' outfit has the potential to date simply as a function of the context of the wedding and contemporary take on the style. For example, even a 'classic' black tux will have undergone various subtle modifications over the decades -deeper lapels, breast pockets, broader shoulders, slimmer fit, longer or shorter length etc over the years as fashions change. Many of the 'classic' wedding dresses of today are heavily influenced by styles from the 20s and 30s, which during the 80s and 90s might have been considered extremely unfashionable and strange. Added to which, most wedding photos look dated also because of people's hairstyles, makeup, accessories, even flower choices (I'm unsure if brooch bouquets will be all the rage in 10 years time).

I know this is just my opinion but in a way, I quite like the idea that in the future if we are blessed with children, they might enjoy looking through our wedding album and chuckle at the stuff that we think is timelessly chic.

ETA boxes
  • It is always your choice.  I just want to be sure that brides do know the rules and the standards before making that choice.  Have a lovely wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I think gray is fine if you're getting married in July or August, or maybe in the daytime in June. To me it says summer and less formal. 
  • MandyMost said:
    I think gray is fine if you're getting married in July or August, or maybe in the daytime in June. To me it says summer and less formal. 
    Grey suits are less formal.  Tuxedos are all the same formality level, even if they are unusual tuxedos.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    MandyMost said:
    I think gray is fine if you're getting married in July or August, or maybe in the daytime in June. To me it says summer and less formal. 
    Grey suits are less formal.  Tuxedos are all the same formality level, even if they are unusual tuxedos.
    I just gave my opinion. In my opinion a gray tux is looks less formal than a black tux. And technically, by definition a tux is black. The more you start to mess with a tux, the more it just becomes a suit with some details. 

If you put a guy in anything other than a classic black tux, bowtie, and pants with the stripe, the vast majority of people will have no idea if it's technically a suit or a tux. 
  • This is exactly why I ONLY recommend black tuxedos.  Grey suits are so much more versatile, and the guys get to keep them for other occasions.  There won't be any other occasion where it is appropriate to wear a grey tuxedo.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards