Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Reception Food

Is it ok to serve BBQ for the reception dinner? My mother in law isn't to thrilled with the idea... 

Re: Reception Food

• Completely fine.  You just need to make sure you have a vegetarian option and also take into account any allergies any of your guests have.

But as someone who has been to many weddings, I would love to go to a wedding that served BBQ.

• Yes. I'm serving pizza (granted, it's gourmet pizza from a really cool local joint at the brewery where we are getting married) and I see nothing wrong with that. Why does your FMIL not like it? Is it that she doesn't like BBQ or does she think it isn't "fancy" enough? I wouldn't serve BBQ at a white-tablecloth ballroom reception at the Waldorf, but I also wouldn't serve lobster thermidor at my reception venue either. As long as the food you serve fits your wedding and you have enough for all of your guests to enjoy you are good. I agree with Maggie about offering an option for vegetarians.
  • No reason you can't, if it goes with the venue. And what I mean when I say "goes with the venue" if your wedding reception is at a large an old Catherderal Chapel where it looksl like Prince William and Kate could get married and then your reception is at a formal ballroom where if a guest wouldn't look out of place coming in black tie, then BBQ probably probably wouldn't fit. However if you have a more relaxed feel going on, BBQ would be perfect.
  • BBQ is just fine as an option though please be kind and not have it too saucy for style if they're expected to be dressed up as opposed to a more casual wedding.  I've been to plenty that had BBQ sandwiches which were basically just pulled pork (no sauce added though available - this alone cuts down on the allergy/intolerance adjustments!) and they were great!  As PP mentioned, but hopefully if you're inviting people to the wedding you already know their primary dietary restrictions (i.e. Vegetarian, Vegan, Celiac's, Lactose Intolerant, etc.) and have an option available for these individuals.

That said, if your FMIL is paying, she gets a say... 

• BBQ is perfectly acceptable reception food.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • You are good.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • BBQ is what I'm doing!  It'll be brisket and chicken, with sauces on the side.  Sides are mac and cheese, a green salad, beans, corn on the cob, and rolls.  Our wedding is pretty casual though, in a barn.  

Also a side note, if you have vegetarians in your group, make sure there's something substantial (ie not a crudite platter) available for them to eat as BBQ is pretty meat-centric.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • futuremjs said:
    Is it ok to serve BBQ for the reception dinner? My mother in law isn't to thrilled with the idea... 
    I think BBQ as a reception dinner works best if the event is more casual.

As PP's have said, please take any vegetarian guests into consideration and make sure to have a main dish and a few side options available to them.  Also, you'll want to have a lot of napkins and wet wipes handy- BBQ dinners are very messy!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• My Mother in Law is worried about the mess BBQ will cause. Especially since my fiancé is a huge mess! Our wedding is at Cobblestone Farm in Ann Arbor. So its in a barn, so I figured BBQ is a perfect food choice. 

The place we were looking at ordering from offers pulled pork and pulled chicken with the sauce on the side. It actually sounds like my parents are the ones helping out with the food and the in laws are paying for the beverages. Basically a huge chunk of this wedding is on my fiancé and I to pay for. We are getting some help and I'm totally for opinions coming from the parents, I just have an issue saying no to any of them. 
  • futuremjs said:
    My Mother in Law is worried about the mess BBQ will cause. Especially since my fiancé is a huge mess! Our wedding is at Cobblestone Farm in Ann Arbor. So its in a barn, so I figured BBQ is a perfect food choice. 

The place we were looking at ordering from offers pulled pork and pulled chicken with the sauce on the side. It actually sounds like my parents are the ones helping out with the food and the in laws are paying for the beverages. Basically a huge chunk of this wedding is on my fiancé and I to pay for. We are getting some help and I'm totally for opinions coming from the parents, I just have an issue saying no to any of them. 
    This would be silly, but you could always have "bride" and "groom" custom printed chef's aprons for the two of you to wear while eating.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited July 2015
    futuremjs said:
    My Mother in Law is worried about the mess BBQ will cause. Especially since my fiancé is a huge mess!

-stuck in the box-
    This is where Fiancé tells his mother he's a big boy and can eat dinner at his own wedding without dropping it on his shirt. And he can stick a Tide pen in his pocket in case he can't.

• Of course it's fine! If she's not paying for the food, she doesn't get a say.

Is she seriously worried because your FI is a messy eater? Is he 5 years old? He's an adult. If HE is worried, he can wear a bib and bring an extra shirt or something. FMIL needs to take up needlepoint or something.
    *********************************************************************************

• Sure, it's fine. Very potentially messy, though. So be prepared for that and any allergies/intolerances.
  • Just an FYI, if you are having a church wedding, it makes a difference in how you word your invitations.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I think BBQ would be great! I personally would love to attend a wedding with BBQ! I'm currently still deciding what I want to have at my reception too. :)
  • CMGragain said:

Just an FYI, if you are having a church wedding, it makes a difference in how you word your invitations.

What has that got to do with whether the OP serves BBQ at her reception?
  • Jen4948 said:
    Just an FYI, if you are having a church wedding, it makes a difference in how you word your invitations.
    What has that got to do with whether the OP serves BBQ at her reception?
    Exactly!

And why would CMG just assume that OP doesn't already know the correct wording?

• CMGragain said:
    Why? Why do you do this? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards