Not Engaged Yet

Bug Proofing Apartment

Or at least, making it harder for them to get in. We had the surprise last week of a huntsman spider in the bathroom. Roughly as big as my hand. Yikes! They are stupid fast and I kept the bathroom locked all day until FI came home from work.

So, now I am determined to do some "bug proofing". I would like to start with the windows. The screen window in the bathroom has gaps around the edges and buying a better fitting one is not an option. Any ideas on how to seal the gaps? I thought about silicone caulk, but am wondering if it would make it difficult to remove the screen in the future if if needs to be fixed.

Thoughts?

Re: Bug Proofing Apartment

• yeesh! that sounds awful. id call a professional, STAT. they can either treat your apartment or provide tips for things like the screen. 
  • psychbabe314psychbabe314 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    jenjen047 said:
    yeesh! that sounds awful. id call a professional, STAT. they can either treat your apartment or provide tips for things like the screen. 

Yah, translation is the issue. I live in Japan and neither myself nor my FI could even set up an appointment because phone + japanese = headaches + translation errors

edited: not missing box
  • In my lease I pay a small fee each month for bug proofing. I just have to contact my leasing office and tell them I want a professional to come by my apartment and do whatever it is they do to get rid of/prevent bugs. Maybe you could ask if your apartment has something like that? They don't want bugs in your apartment either.

• @bethsmiles I may be able to ask one of the teachers in the building. He speaks just enough English that maybe with pictures and google translate I could find out. But, the last time we had the maintenance come to do something, it turned into a huge deal and I ended up doing it myself (replacing broken screen on screen door after maintenance returned it twice not repaired because they could not understand what we wanted done).

I will ask my FI to check with him tomorrow to see if he knows.

But just in case, still looking for DIY ideas
  • @twodimes I use essential oils. I got mine through DoTerra. 
  • @speakeasy14 I will definitely try the oils. I think that I saw some at the pharmacy here in town, so I will swing by tomorrow and double check.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards