Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Is it appropriate to wear a veil?

Hello Brides! I really like a bride with a veil and i want it for my big day too! My ceremony will happen at sunset in a beautiful sort of garden. As I said i really want to wear a veil but my friends one of who's a wedding planner-but not mine one- told me it is for day ceremony only and would be inappropriate to wear a veil during a late afternoon wedding.
Is it true? Would it be trash- as one of my friend said-?

Re: Is it appropriate to wear a veil?

• Options
    I'm not sure where your friend got that from. I've never heard anything like that about veils. The only "don't wear one" I've ever heard is for clearly-not-virgin brides (second marriage, pregnant or has kids already) to not wear them, and that's kind of going out the window anymore. 

FWIW, I'm a second-time bride with a 7 year old, and I am totally wearing a veil to my late afternoon ceremony and dinner reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've never heard that either.  If you want to wear a veil, wear a veil!  It's your wedding
  • Options
    Of course you can wear a veil. Your friend who said it was "trash" seems extremely rude. You could wear a veil, a fascinator, a barrette, a mantilla, or nothing at all.

You'll learn a lot on this site how to properly host your guests and how to consider the comfort of others when planning your wedding festivities. When it comes to your attire, however, it really is all about you and what makes you feel beautiful and special on your wedding day.
  • Options
    You can wear a veil any time of day.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I've never heard that. 

I not a fan of veils, didn't have one myself, but never heard that it's only for a certain time of day.

@CMGragain is our resident "expert" on these things.  She is old school, so at times the advice is not always received well.      I've never once heard her mention this before.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    Well shit, I must be trashy then, because I'm wearing a veil for my 5pm outdoor wedding.  

I've never heard of that rule.  Kind of funny, the only wedding I've been to where the bride DIDN'T wear a veil was an afternoon one.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    My mother was in her 40s with four children when she married my amazing step-father. She wore a white dress (diamond white) AND a veil for her later afternoon wedding.

And I'm wearing her veil for my early evening wedding and reception. Soooo... do you. No one is going to think anything negative about a bride wearing a veil on her wedding day.

• Options
    Even though I'm already married, I wish there was some other occasion where wearing my veil would be acceptable....

(I got married in the afternoon too)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Your friends are wrong.  Wear what you want to wear.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I think a veil completes your look, so it doesn't matter if you get married in the morning, afternoon or night.  If you want to wear a veil I say go for it.
  • Options
    My mother was married in the evening and wore a lovely veil.  My cousin was married in the afternoon and also wore a lovely veil.  If you love the veil you've found, then by all means go for it!  My ceremony is at 2:30 in the afternoon, and I am most definitely wearing a veil.
  • Options
    I have never heard that before.  If you want to wear a veil, wear a veil.

Just keep in mind the wind on your wedding day.  You don't want your veil blowing all crazy during the ceremony.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards