Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Ceremony/Reception set up

For whoever has a wedding coordinator/decorator, are you just giving them your décor and telling them to go for it, or are you writing everything out or taking pics of everything explaining how you want things to go?  Also, what are you packing all of your items in, boxes or plastic totes?  I'm trying to find the easiest way to pack everything, but also have it easy to pack it all back up after the reception.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ceremony/Reception set up

• Options
    I am writing detailed descriptions in addition to providing pictures.

Also, see if you can do a walk-through with your coordinator so that you can visually explain how you would like things to be set up. We are doing that with our DOC and I think that will make it easier everyone.

There's only so much you can do short of setting things up yourself. I highly doubt that you will notice if a few things are out of place on the day of.
  • Options
    I'm boxing everything up and leaving it to both her and MOG (she is a party decorater so it's her job to ensure it all looks great). She is doing a lot of the decor (she insisted- we never asked) so she will do a run through before it's done to make sure all looks good.

I would make a detailed list for the things you really want spot on. If there are a few small details missed, I doubt you will even notice!

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    Thank you! I'll make my list and take pics.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Can I ask about what you all are paying for your DOC? I'm on a tight budget and having a small wedding, but they all want to charge $1K+. I know they say they verify all of these things in the days before, but ultimately...I can call my caterer/photographer/music to make sure they're on schedule. I just need someone to decorate and help out that day. I don't trust anyone I could hire off craig's list. But, I have a small family: my mom passed a few years ago, no sisters or close cousins. It's just me and my one bridesmaid. I feel awkward asking for the help of my fiance's aunts.
  • Options
    Detailed instructions WITH pictures!!!!  It's one thing to say "No napkins in the glasses" it's another to say "Napkins like this" for example. 
  • Options
    thatgirl2 said:
    Can I ask about what you all are paying for your DOC? I'm on a tight budget and having a small wedding, but they all want to charge $1K+. I know they say they verify all of these things in the days before, but ultimately...I can call my caterer/photographer/music to make sure they're on schedule. I just need someone to decorate and help out that day. I don't trust anyone I could hire off craig's list. But, I have a small family: my mom passed a few years ago, no sisters or close cousins. It's just me and my one bridesmaid. I feel awkward asking for the help of my fiance's aunts.
    A good DOC knows when everyone should arrive, and how long things take. You don't want the cake there before the cake table, or the booze before the bar, for example. They also know how long it will take everyone to set up and tear down, and will do all that scheduling and solve any issues with the arrivals/schedule. And as you mentioned, they will set everything up for you that day and deal with any issues that day, so neither you or your nearest and dearest have to do anything except enjoy.

$1k seems pretty standard for hiring someone independently to do this. She could easily be working at least a 10-12 hour day the day of your wedding, as well as all the work she'll be doing ahead of time. However, we paid $500 for the coordinator from the catering company to take on the roll of DOC as well. It was well worth it in my opinion!
  • Options
    I left it up to my friend. She brought her horse trailer over(yes it was cleaned out) We loaded all of my rubbermaids and she did the décor. I could NOT have done any better. She had free reign. Wasn't anything I wanted to stress about.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards