Attire & Accessories Forum

black tie affair - going as guest

So one of my college roommates is getting married next week and it is a Black Tie Affair.  My fiance is all set with his attire but I am struggling on mine still.  Do the women's dress also have to be black?  If not I have a beautiful blue lace dress that will hit my knees.  But is Blue ok?

Re: black tie affair - going as guest

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    No you do not have to wear black.  But I think a cocktail dress is not dressy enough for a black tie event.  You can wear a cocktail dress as long as the color is a more rich color (jewel tones or black) and it is a more formal material such as satin and you really dress it up with jewelry and heels and nicely done hair, but I would only do that if buying a new dress is out of the question.  But typically for a black tie event, women wear full-length gowns.  If you go the gown route you can choose from a variety of colors because a full-length gown is just inherently more dressy.  For example a full-length gown in say peach will look dressier/more formal then a cocktail dress in the same color.

• Ok thank you for your feedback that helped guide me in teh right direction for sure. 
  • It doesn't have to be black. But you'll probably want to go with a long gown. Do you have enough time to do Rent The Runway? 
  • I would go with a gown.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @climbingwife yes I do have enough time to do rent the runway and have been stalking it since this morning.  They have amazing dresses at a good price.
  • @climbingwife yes I do have enough time to do rent the runway and have been stalking it since this morning.  They have amazing dresses at a good price.
    I'd definitely go that route. They have a ton of great stuff! 
  • I am so jealous of people that can do things like rent the runway. I have a VERY pear shape, birthing hips and no boobs lol.

I cannot buy clothes without trying them on so there is no way I could pick a dress on a website like this and have it work out.

There are beautiful clothes on there good luck and let us know what you pick!
  • And just to make sure - it's Black Tie....not Black Tie Optional, right?  For Black Tie, I'd definitely wear a long gown.
  • @Joane2012 it is Black Tie and not Optional.  I am going to the Macys this weekend to see if I can find a dress that wouldnt have to be hemmed in length if I went long.  Hopefully I will find something that works.
  • I had a black tie gala to attend last year and got a gorgeous gown from Ann Taylor bridesmaids...worth checking out! They usually have good sales and the dress fit the occasion perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards