Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

my letter to 'I Do Over'

hope this letter works.. i sent it to the people for the show 'I do over' but i havn't heard anything yet.. 

My name is Gabriele G and here is my wedding disaster...

The day started out cloudy with forecasts of a winter weather advisory. Everyone around me said not to worry.. but deep down in my heart, I knew that there would be more than a few snags in our day- A freak snow storm hitConnecticut on October 29, 2011; the day of my wedding. This storm left my town alone 100% out of power for more than a week. 

My hair appointment was at 10 am that day. Once I was done, there were a few flurries. "No big deal, it wont stick" my aunt proceeded to tell me. An hour and a half later, we had a few inches on the ground. By the time we all arrived to the church, we were told to hold off on going in because people were trying to make it to the ceremony. Our organist was threatening to leave and told my husband that he was going to leave by 3:30 no matter what if the wedding was still going on or not. This is the tip of the "iceberg".

Once the ceremony was over, we made the slow and dangerous 1.5 hour ride ( which was supposed to be 20 minutes on a normal day). My best friend and maid of honor made it there not long before we did and texted my cousin to let her know that our reception venue had no power. Trees were down and continuing to fall on all routes to our reception. Over 100 of our guests couldn't make our reception, including my oldest brother, his wife, my husband's sister and his parents. What broke my heart the most was that my mother-in-law did not have the moment all mother of the grooms waited for-- to dance with her son. They were devastated. My heart sank every time my husband went to look out the window to see if their car was coming into the driveway; his face grew more and more grim as time passed. This was supposed to be a reception where everything was going to be taken care of by the manager of our venue. He did not have a back up generator for our DJ, so being that my husband and I are volunteer firefighters, we knew the local fire department had a generator to spare and had him call. After this phone call was placed, he disappeared and that was the last time we saw our "Master of Ceremonies". Being that there was no emergency lighting, my aunt fell down the stairs inside the reception hall and tore her bicep and separated her shoulder, needless to say this was the shoulder she just had surgery on two months prior. We didn't get all of the food we had asked for, and for our buffet, my uncle's table was the last table to get food and the staff was already packing away whatever was left.. which wasn't much. A few of my guests got in to car accidents after the reception. There are even more thorns to this sweet day but this was the 'short' version to our story. We are so blessed that our ceremony happened, but our reception was a disaster. 
My mother is a complete mess because I am the only daughter out of the four children that she has and this day was ruined for her. I'm not so much worried about my feelings, but worried for my mother, mother-in-law and my husband. My husband and his mother didn't get to have their moment on such a special day and my mom cries every time we talk about the wedding. I just wanted everyone to have a great experience while celebrating our new chapter in life and the two most important women in our lives had the most disappointment out of anyone. To see my mother and my mother-in-law cry sad tears over our wedding is the most heart breaking thing to me. My mother and father worked so hard and just wanted the best wedding possible for me and our day was shot by a freak snow storm. 
I know we have a crazy story to tell in the many years to come, but I just want it to be done right not for me, but for my husband, mother and my mother-in-law. My heart is broken because they didn't have the day they envisioned. 

If you could please at least take our story into consideration, it would make my world. I just want these three very important people in my life to smile about our wedding, not cry out of the things that were missing. 

Thank you for your time.

-Gabriele G

Re: my letter to 'I Do Over'

• xos0inlovexos0inlove member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    While I understand that there were a lot of snags along the way and the day didn't turn out as you envisioned, at the end of the day -- snow storm and all -- you were married. That's what the day is about, right? Everything else is just details. I guess I'm just against "do-over" weddings because to me it just seems like a big charade. For myself personally, I would move on and enjoy my life with my new husband. But..if a do-over wedding works for you, I wish you the best of luck.
  • Aww I'm so sorry to hear this;( My heart breaks for what you went through! And I hope your friends who got in accidents are ok!
    If you dont get accepted for the show, Im with the PP, I would not do another wedding. I totally dont think you're being selfish because I would be upset too but I just dont feel right about wedding do-overs. Have you considered renewing your vows for your first anniversary, maybe doing a destination one and you can invite some of your friends and family to that? What about maybe hosting a party for everyone? Maybe like an outdoor bbq this summer? Depending on your budget, you could have it catered and have a dj or live music! I think this is a good idea and would be so much fun for everyone! I think either of those options would make you feel much better and give you the closure you need to move on!!
    Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we were thinking about a big anniversary party if they dont pick us.. now that it's five months later, and i look back on the pictures, i feel like i've missed out on so much.. i know that everyone says that their wedding day goes by in a flash, but, i feel like mine went even faster due to the lost time of the long drive to the venue... i also feel so bad for my mother and mother in law... and i see everyone's reception pix on this website and feel like we missed out on so much on our own wedding day.  i see how some people say how perfect their day was and when i look back on mine, i can't help feel like either crying or resentful... but thanks for the luck.. i hope when or if we do something that we have a good day and no snow...
  • thank you to the last three posts... your words are truly encouraging me more and more to do this.. it's not like we're going to do the ceremony over agian it's the reception part that needs to be done over.. maybe i didnt make my point clear in my first post.. but we are def. going to do something and we do think that on our 1 year anniversary would be the best bet Smile... thank you for your nice words and i hope everyone has a fantastic wedding day (with great weather!!)
  • I got married that same day and honesetly, it snowed more that day than it did the rest of our winter!!! We had a few guests not show up beacuse of it but we only got like 5-6". Sorry to hear your story and I hope you win!! 
  • still no response yet... wondering who I should send it to next?  I dont think I should stop until i hear from somebody...  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards