Chit Chat

NWR: TV Streaming Services

ohmrs2014ohmrs2014 mod
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
edited July 2015 in Chit Chat
Hey everyone.  DH and I are trying to cut back on our cable bill (why pay so much for channels we barely watch).

We are thinking of dropping to basic cable because of all of the options with streaming services like Netflix and Hulu.

We already have Netflix, but I would like some feedback on Hulu if anyone uses it.  How long does it take for new episodes to start streaming and what networks do they stream from?  I've tried navigating the website, and as tech savvy as I can be, when it comes to these things, I'm a novice so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I also just discovered Apple TV.  Any reviews on this service?

Also, if there are any other streaming service we should look into, please feel free to share!

TIA!

ETA: Apple TV
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NWR: TV Streaming Services

• ashtsbashtsb member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    We use Hulu a lot! They do most big networks, NBC, CW, that sort of thing. I've noticed most shows will be out up about a day after they air on tv and are up for at least a week or two. I feel they also have a little more selection of TV shows than Netflix, but Netflix is much better for movies. In the off season, like now, we are watching the older shows that Hulu has complete series of. We are in the midst of Star Trek Enterprise and Firefly!
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I use Hulu a ton more that Netflix.  We got rid of cable as well, so we have those two pluz Amazon Prime (or something like that).  New stuff comes out within a day or two it seems.  I love watching old seasons.  I am working through Top Chef from the beginning and Always Sunny in Philadelphia. 
  • We don't have cable and use a combination of Hulu+, Netflix, and a service called SlingTV. Netflix is good for movies and Hulu+ is better for recent television. I've found that a lot of episodes are uploaded by the next day. If it's a brand new show, they'll usually keep all the episodes up for the whole season. For shows in season 2 and on, usually it's just the 5 most recent episodes.

I love love love SlingTV. It's powered by DirecTV but it's a subscription based services like Netflix and Hulu. We get a bunch of different cable channels (HGTV, History, CNN, Food Network, Cartoon Network, TBS, TNT, ESPN and ESPN2, plus some I'm not thinking of) for $20. You'll need a There's no contract, which is awesome and I get my fill of cable for dirt cheap. CLICK 

Between Netflix, Hulu+ and Sling, we spend less on TV than we do on our internet. We get our basic, local channels by splitting our internet line and running a cable to the TV. For any sports we want to watch that aren't on local TV or ESPN (like Yankees games that are only on YES or blacked out football games), H just streams from the internet. 
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    AppleTV isn't really an actual service, but rather a device that will allow you to stream onto your TV.  So for example, when you have one, you go to the Apple TV menu, and it has all these icons for stuff like Netflix, Hulu, and on demand stuff for like, HBO, Showtime, etc.  You still have to have accounts with those services in order to use them though.  It also has streaming music through itunes.
    Married 9.12.15
  • We don't have cable and use a combination of Hulu+, Netflix, and a service called SlingTV. Netflix is good for movies and Hulu+ is better for recent television. I've found that a lot of episodes are uploaded by the next day. If it's a brand new show, they'll usually keep all the episodes up for the whole season. For shows in season 2 and on, usually it's just the 5 most recent episodes.

I love love love SlingTV. It's powered by DirecTV but it's a subscription based services like Netflix and Hulu. We get a bunch of different cable channels (HGTV, History, CNN, Food Network, Cartoon Network, TBS, TNT, ESPN and ESPN2, plus some I'm not thinking of) for $20. You'll need a There's no contract, which is awesome and I get my fill of cable for dirt cheap. CLICK 

Between Netflix, Hulu+ and Sling, we spend less on TV than we do on our internet. We get our basic, local channels by splitting our internet line and running a cable to the TV. For any sports we want to watch that aren't on local TV or ESPN (like Yankees games that are only on YES or blacked out football games), H just streams from the internet. 

______
    @cupcait927 I was just looking into Sling last night, and am glad to hear you like it! We haven't had cable in forever and this looks like the perfect solution for us to get a few of the channels we want like ESPN, AMC and HGTV.  We have Netflix and use our antenna to get network TV.  That's been fine but would be nice to have a few more!
  • @AlisonM23 We absolutely love it. I haven't had any issues since we first signed up about 6 months ago. We don't have either of the add on packages (you can do an add-on sports package and there's one for kids channels) and we're happy with the selection. There's only three channels I miss - TLC, YES and Animal Planet - but not enough to pay the price for cable. 
  • We have a Roku. Mostly we stream Netflix and Amazon Prime. We don't watch a ton of TV and I loath commercials (except for the superbowl) so paying for cable didn't make sense.
    *********************************************************************************

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    SlingTV sounds interesting, I've never heard of it before.  Although I need TLC and Bravo!
  • Thanks!  This is some great information so far.  It seems that some of the channels that SlingTV offer I could stream through Hulu, but I will look more into it.  

Apple TV I'm looking more into as well since there are some channels I know DH would want.  One of them for sure is USA.  He's a little bummed about losing that network and Fox Sports 1.  I'll miss Fox Sports 1 because I'm a huge UFC fan and I love the Ultimate Fighter which doesn't seem to stream, unless their exclusive streaming service offers it.  And DH loves Raw; Hulu only streams 1 1/2 of it instead of the 3 hours.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ohmrs2014 said:
    Thanks!  This is some great information so far.  It seems that some of the channels that SlingTV offer I could stream through Hulu, but I will look more into it.  

Apple TV I'm looking more into as well since there are some channels I know DH would want.  One of them for sure is USA.  He's a little bummed about losing that network and Fox Sports 1.  I'll miss Fox Sports 1 because I'm a huge UFC fan and I love the Ultimate Fighter which doesn't seem to stream, unless their exclusive streaming service offers it.  And DH loves Raw; Hulu only streams 1 1/2 of it instead of the 3 hours.
    Apple TV lets you access channels like USA and History, but you have to pay for that service, it doesn't come with the Apple TV. I'm not sure if you can just pay for those channels as one-offs or if you actually have to have cable to use it. We use Apple TV for Netflix, HBO, YouTube, and iTunes, and I use my PlayStation for Amazon Prime. (I also have a SmartTV, so we don't technically need an Apple TV, but FI already had one). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards