Chit Chat

For those who want brideslaves not bridesmaid... I give you

The professional bridesmaid.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3180223/Meet-professional-bridesmaid-gets-paid-1-000-walk-brides-aisle.html

While I think it's sad, I'm impressed on how much she racks in.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: For those who want brideslaves not bridesmaid... I give you

• Within five days, she had received a staggering 459 emails

That's crazy to me!  Ok, I'm going to be honest with you.  My side of the family are NOT dancers, and from what I heard, FI's aren't either.  The fact that she'll do the electric slide with you till midnight is appealing.....

• It's a little sad, but I could see how this could be useful.  I only have a MOH, and to be honest, didn't have any other female friends I could see being my bridesmaids.  Having someone there to help and support you isn't too much different than a wedding planner, other than the title, and the fact she's standing up there with you.  I could also see someone with a really outgoing personality being helpful at the reception... keeping the party going etc.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • It's a little sad, but I could see how this could be useful.  I only have a MOH, and to be honest, didn't have any other female friends I could see being my bridesmaids. And that is perfectly fine.  But to hire someone to be your "friend" for a day or throughout your wedding planning is kind of sad. Having someone there to help and support you isn't too much different than a wedding planner, other than the title, and the fact she's standing up there with you. Yeah but this person isn't one of your nearest and dearest.  She is basically a wedding planner who you then pretend is a close friend.  Could you imagine asking your wedding planner to stand up next to you in your wedding?  A spot that is supposed to be for someone who is meaningful to you?  I mean if you consider a wedding planner meaningful because they helped you to plan your wedding and was supportive (HELLO YOU ARE PAYING THEM TO BE THIS) then that isn't much better the the SS's we get on here bitching because their friends aren't living up to their expectations.  I could also see someone with a really outgoing personality being helpful at the reception... keeping the party going etc. This is what your DJ is for 

• "Jen also offers boot camp for other bridesmaids who need tips for how to do their jobs"

LOL
  • It's a little sad, but I could see how this could be useful.  I only have a MOH, and to be honest, didn't have any other female friends I could see being my bridesmaids.  Having someone there to help and support you isn't too much different than a wedding planner, other than the title, and the fact she's standing up there with you.  I could also see someone with a really outgoing personality being helpful at the reception... keeping the party going etc.  
    That is not your BM's job.  And why the fuck are the groomsmen not giving these tasks?    Actually, don't answer that.  The answer is none of them should, not that GM need to step it up.

We had a great DJ, but the rest of our guests kept the party going.  Sure my BM's were parting, but not as much as MIL's 80-year old neighbor.  She was getting down with the young 30 year olds men out there.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • sarahufl said:
    "Jen also offers boot camp for other bridesmaids who need tips for how to do their jobs"

LOL
    Yes!  I read that and was like....she gives you pointers on how to pose for pictures and jump into a dress?  What do you need bootcamp for?!?!

• edited July 2015
    sarahufl said:
    "Jen also offers boot camp for other bridesmaids who need tips for how to do their jobs"

LOL

Easiest bootcamp ever!
    BM: "So I put my left foot in, then my right, and then pull the dress up?"
    HiredHelp: "Correct, alternatively you could put the dress on over your head"

Bootcamp Success!

ETA: I failed at every other bootcamp I tried, I think maybe I could possible survive and perhaps even excel at this one!
  • She can make up to $1,000 a day!? I'm pissed I didn't think of this idea first.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Wow good for her. I super appreciate her entrepreneurial spirit!

• edited July 2015
    lyndausvi said: julieanne912 said: It's a little sad, but I could see how this could be useful.  I only have a MOH, and to be honest, didn't have any other female friends I could see being my bridesmaids.  Having someone there to help and support you isn't too much different than a wedding planner, other than the title, and the fact she's standing up there with you.  I could also see someone with a really outgoing personality being helpful at the reception... keeping the party going etc.   That is not your BM's job.  And why the fuck are the groomsmen not giving these tasks?    Actually, don't answer that.  The answer is none of them should, not that GM need to step it up.

We had a great DJ, but the rest of our guests kept the party going.  Sure my BM's were parting, but not as much as MIL's 80-year old neighbor.  She was getting down with the young 30 year olds men out there. ----------Um, boxes? ------------I see where JulieAnne is coming from about keeping the dance floor going. Not all crowds get up and dance easily, and if your DJ sucks for some reason, you don't want your dance floor empty and the party to feel like a flop. I was a BM at a friend's wedding and the bridal party members were pretty much the only people dancing. The bride said later, sadly, that she thought her wedding was lame. Poor thing. I keep reassuring her that
    we (the bridal party) had a grand ole time regardless. 

• I just shared this with a coworker who is in 4 weddings this year. We think this might be her next career.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This is like "The Wedding Ringer,"'which is a fun movie if you haven't seen it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Jen also offers boot camp for other bridesmaids who need tips for how to do their jobs. Fuck the what?!
  • It's kinda sad that she's also being hired to fill out the WP, or cos the MOH got 'fired'.  Still, if people are willing to pay someone to attend the wedding, all the power to you.  I wonder who pays for the dress??  Is it built into the fee?? 

• Hey, if Bridezillas want to pay her cold hard cash, I say good for you professional bridesmaid.  A girl's got to put food on the table, I won't judge you.  I will also give you a thumbs up for finding a new way to get suckers to part with their money.

• I like the picture of her with the two guys (groom and GM?) which says "Jen offers her services for all wedding-related events".... and I'm wondering just what kind of "service" it's referring to. Sorry, but it already seems like she's whored herself out to the bridezillas, so.....
  • Eh, I don't have a problem with it. It's her job, and if it saves other BMs from being trampled all over by bridezillas, that's great. As PPs have said, she is basically a wedding planner who seems a bit more personal and friendly. If I had the money,and if I was having a more "extravagant" wedding that required more nuanced planning, I'd hire her. Why not? I wouldn't want her to pretend to be my friend, but I imagine it would be nice to have someone to help go through all the things. Plus having someone you can call up and whine to without feeling guilty would be nice. (I suppose that's a therapist! lol)
  • abcdevonn said:
    Eh, I don't have a problem with it. It's her job, and if it saves other BMs from being trampled all over by bridezillas, that's great. As PPs have said, she is basically a wedding planner who seems a bit more personal and friendly. If I had the money,and if I was having a more "extravagant" wedding that required more nuanced planning, I'd hire her. Why not? I wouldn't want her to pretend to be my friend, but I imagine it would be nice to have someone to help go through all the things. Plus having someone you can call up and whine to without feeling guilty would be nice. (I suppose that's a therapist! lol)
    But why a BM?   Why can't they just be a wedding planner?

• lyndausvi said:
    abcdevonn said:
    Eh, I don't have a problem with it. It's her job, and if it saves other BMs from being trampled all over by bridezillas, that's great. As PPs have said, she is basically a wedding planner who seems a bit more personal and friendly. If I had the money,and if I was having a more "extravagant" wedding that required more nuanced planning, I'd hire her. Why not? I wouldn't want her to pretend to be my friend, but I imagine it would be nice to have someone to help go through all the things. Plus having someone you can call up and whine to without feeling guilty would be nice. (I suppose that's a therapist! lol)

Because even sides and pictures are important, duh!
    Anniversary
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    It's a little sad, but I could see how this could be useful.  I only have a MOH, and to be honest, didn't have any other female friends I could see being my bridesmaids.  Having someone there to help and support you isn't too much different than a wedding planner, other than the title, and the fact she's standing up there with you.  I could also see someone with a really outgoing personality being helpful at the reception... keeping the party going etc.  
    That is not your BM's job.  And why the fuck are the groomsmen not giving these tasks?    Actually, don't answer that.  The answer is none of them should, not that GM need to step it up.

We had a great DJ, but the rest of our guests kept the party going.  Sure my BM's were parting, but not as much as MIL's 80-year old neighbor.  She was getting down with the young 30 year olds men out there.
    I wasn't implying it was the BMs "job" to do that.  I was just pointing out where I could see how someone like that could be useful.  And yeah, I've been to a wedding where the DJ was not good, but if you get a fun person out there to get people going, then the party ends up being better, even if the DJ isn't up to par.  

And, for the record, I would never hire someone to be my BM.  I could just understand why someone might do that.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    It's a little sad, but I could see how this could be useful.  I only have a MOH, and to be honest, didn't have any other female friends I could see being my bridesmaids.  Having someone there to help and support you isn't too much different than a wedding planner, other than the title, and the fact she's standing up there with you.  I could also see someone with a really outgoing personality being helpful at the reception... keeping the party going etc.  

I wasn't implying it was the BMs "job" to do that.  I was just pointing out where I could see how someone like that could be useful.  And yeah, I've been to a wedding where the DJ was not good, but if you get a fun person out there to get people going, then the party ends up being better, even if the DJ isn't up to par.  

And, for the record, I would never hire someone to be my BM.  I could just understand why someone might do that.
    Again, this is what a wedding planner is for.  This girl is for all intents and purposes a wedding planner, but adds in being a BM for those crazy people who feel it is necessary to have a bridal party member be super duper excited about their wedding at all times.

ETA:  And also because the bride must have pre wedding parties and for some reason couldn't imagine life without them so she hires someone who she knows will actually throw those parties for her since the bride is paying that person to do so.

• See, I think people take dancing cues from the bride and groom. It's not up to your bridal party to "keep the party going". We danced our asses off at our wedding (not that we are particularly good dancers) but we had so much fun and wanted everyone to feel like they could be out there having fun with us too. But even if people don't dance, it's not the end of the world; some circles are just that way.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• See, I think people take dancing cues from the bride and groom. It's not up to your bridal party to "keep the party going". We danced our asses off at our wedding (not that we are particularly good dancers) but we had so much fun and wanted everyone to feel like they could be out there having fun with us too. But even if people don't dance, it's not the end of the world; some circles are just that way.
    Ding, Ding, ding.

• lyndausvi said:
    abcdevonn said:
    Cos there are way too many already.  This gives her something different is instantly start making boatloads of money

How long can this last do you think??   No 20-somthing is going to have a 55 year old BM just to make sides even.  They'll fire someone instead.  ;)

• lyndausvi said:
    abcdevonn said:
    Cos there are way too many already.  This gives her something different is instantly start making boatloads of money

How long can this last do you think??   No 20-somthing is going to have a 55 year old BM just to make sides even.  They'll fire someone instead.  ;)
    I think I'd rather be a proper wedding planner than a wedding planner in the guise of a bridesmaid. What if you don't like the bride or she has annoying friends? Do you actually want to hang out with people who irritate you? I just remember being at the nail salon the day before my wedding and sitting next to another bride and group of bridesmaids. That girl was so annoying. (She acted like she was the first person to ever use The Piano Guys music in a ceremony.) I wouldn't have wanted to be a bridesmaid for her if she paid me. 

• lyndausvi said:
    abcdevonn said:

Yeah, I think she is just calling herself a BM for hire because it's a gimmick. Plus, she is offering to listen to brides whine--wedding planners don't really do that. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards