Chit Chat

Most weddings in a 1 year span?

I see a lot of posts with people going to a LOT of weddings!  I think in the last 10 years I've been to 4 weddings (2 were my siblings) and 1 marriage party.  Maybe I just don't know a lot of people?  Or maybe all the people I know are already married/not getting married....I'm actually impressed at all the weddings you people go to!   What is the most weddings you have been to in a 365 (or 365.25 days if you're counting a leap year) day span? 

Re: Most weddings in a 1 year span?

• Last year, it was 12. Also, our own.

Since I turned 24 or 25, I have been going to a minimum of 4 per year, I had another year with about 8 but I think last year was the worst. I ended up going to 1 alone (intentionally) and 1 alone (unintentionally- H got sick) and H did the same 1 alone (intentionally) and 1 alone (unintentionally- I got sick).

So I guess I was invited to 12 and attended 10- my own makes 11. Most required travel. It was a very expensive year for us.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    9 was the most I've attended in one year.  That was back when I was in my mid-20's. I was in 4 that year. 2 were siblings.  One of those OOT.   It was an expensive year.

ETA - That is why i laugh at the SS who get all pissy that their sibling or BF is getting married around them.    It's a rite of passage for most mid-20 to mid-30 year olds to go through a period of time where you have a lot of weddings to attend.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • 3 for us, and that was this year, AND it includes our own lol.

I think it's that a lot of people I know are either already married, or just not getting married. Which sucks cuz I love weddings!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I went to maybe 1 a year through my 20's, but from last August to this September (ok, over a year) we're hitting up 8 including our own and I'm a bridesmaid in two. 

These things go in waves... a wave of weddings, a wave of babies, and now we're on a wedding wave. 

• I don't think I've ever been to more than one in a year.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Next year I have 5...including my own...and my brother's, which I'm a BM in...and one OOT.

I think in 2014 I had like 7 or 8?  But I only went to 3 because I had twins in June of that year.  FBIL got married about 3 weeks after they were born and my fiance was his best man, so he went to that alone.
  • Last year I went to two, and got engaged between them (so started planning mine), so that was my wedding-iest year. 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I think 5.

From age 23 to 28ish I went to about 17-20 weddings.  Luckily that has died to down to zero for this year.  But now instead of wedding photos all over my FB newsfeed there are new baby photos/baby bump photos.

• I sadly don't get invited to that many weddings. I love weddings! This year is the peak and I will be attending three weddings. Most people in my social circle are having children.
  • Never more than one in a year.  I moved away from my hometown/friends when I was 21, and we all lost touch for awhile (this was before FB).  During that time, they pretty much all got married (and divorced and remarried for one of them!).  

Because I don't get invited to many, I try to attend any I do get invited to.  I was so bummed we had to skip one a few weeks ago because it was a 9 hour car ride away and I have no extra vacation time.  It was up near Jackson Hole and I would have LOVED to go if I had the vacation time to spare.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I think 2 is my max, though I can't remember.  They're so spread out!!  But my BFF and my cousin got married 1 week apart.  I'm so glad they were able to work dates so I could attend both (one was OOT)

• edited July 2015
    I like you am amazed.  I think I've only been to like 8-10 weddings in my LIFE!  I'd say in the last 4 years, since meeting my fiance is when I've to the most.

We had one for his cousin; I think that was 2012; then one for my last boss's daughter in 2013; we went to Fiance's good friend's wedding last summer (2014); and our's will be this fall. 

Before that, the last wedding I went to was in...  2008 I think for a co-worker.

I don't have a lot of friends and the ones I do have are "casual" so I don't think I'd make their "cut" for the guest list.  One friend also got married in his home country, Ghana- yeah, they didn't invite anyone in the US except their siblings/SO's, and I have a few friends who aren't married / dating anyone.

I don't have a lot of cousins (well I do on my dad's side, but no one even knows all of them- his siblings were a "have 'em young, give them up for adoption" kind it seems) and the few now are married did elopements / courthouse w/o parties and such.  I do have one cousin who got engaged a few months before me and last I heard he is planning to get married in 2016; no idea if I'll be invited to his wedding.

ETA:  I was invited to a wedding this September.  Not sure I'll go.  I haven't really talked to this girl in 2 years.  The vibe I'm getting from her is pretty AWish and gift grabby.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    2-3, although I think when I was younger I declined some because I didn't have a date so maybe invited to 4. My friends have gotten married in various stages so it was never a summer of 10 people or whatever although I guess I was never close enough with enough people to be invited.
  • In a 13 month period in 2014-2015 we attended 11 weddings. Just family weddings were 4 (DF's cousins and sister). The rest were mostly DF's friends and a couple of mine.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Wow, some of these numbers are crazy!

I was invited to 6 in one year, only attended 4. Usually average 3-4 a year since I was in my early twenties. As I get "older" they are definitely thinning out. Only 1 this year besides our own. 
  • I've been to very few weddings, which is one of the reasons why I reached out to TK forums to help with planning because I had no idea what a "wedding" was supposed to be like. I probably haven't been to more than 10 weddings ever. My H has been to 3.

I've gone to 2 weddings in the past 7-8 years. Before that I went through a period in my late twenties when all of my friends got married and weddings were more frequent, but even that was a max of 2 weddings per year.
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015

Max was 11 weddings between May and September of 2012.  About 5-6 per year the 2 years before and 3 years since then, including our own last July.

ETA: DH has a ton of cousins that are all close in age - most of these are cousins that are our age or college friends.  We had completely separate groups of friends in college even though that's where we met.  The wedding wave should die down by the end of next year!

• Wow some people have been to so many! I have a really small family, all my cousins are just coming up on marriage age but I probably won't be invited to any of them since we're not close. I've been to about 2 per year the last few years and I have probably a good 8 friends left that I expect to be invited to one day (obviously that's cool if they don't invite me, I just think they will if they chose to have large weddings).

• I've only been to 5 weddings in my whole life. Next year I will have 2 to attend but beyond that I don't see many weddings in my future.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Last year we had 8, including one DW and one AHR for said DW. FI was in three of the weddings, I was in one.

We literally didn't get married in 2014 because we knew we'd be spending a lot on weddings, hence the long engagement (engaged Oct 2013, getting married Oct 2015). But then weirdly this year, our wedding is our only wedding. Next year already has a big lineup though.

• Last year I had five, including ours, and that was a crazy year.  I'm usually 1-2, maybe.

We've been to one so far this year, didn't make it to another one, and won't make it to a third.  We already know of three for next year, but will only be able to go to two.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Three if you count the AHR (was unable to go the wedding). I've been invited to way more than that though. H and I can't go to them all because it's too expensive to travel. I have lots of cousins and we're all around the same age so it stands to reason that we'd all get married around the same time.
  • chloe97chloe97 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    The year I turned 26, I was invited to 8 weddings. That was 10 years ago and since then I've averaged 3 weddings a year. People say it dies down in you 30's, but I haven't found that at all. We already have 3 scheduled for 2016 and I have a boatload of college aged cousins who will likely start getting married in coming years! ETA -I think being single for so long is part of the reason I've gone to so many weddings in my life. As high school/college friends married in our 20s, I grew apart from them (not in a bad way, just in a life taking us different directions way). I would branch out and make new friends, those friends would marry. Rinse repeat. Though we are having a large wedding (200+), I would say I'm probably only inviting 1/2 of the friends whose weddings I've been invited to. I've felt guilty at times, but thus is life.
  • Two. I was invited to a third but declined.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We had 6 in 2010. Three of my friends, one of H's friends, and two of my cousins. Luckily, all but the two cousins were local, and the cousins were both driving distance. 

My mom talks about going to a wedding a month for a few years in the 80's when my parents' hundreds of cousins were getting married. I was probably invited to most of them, but I don't remember anything other than dance floors. 
  • I usually have 1-2 per year. I had one year with 3 when I was in my mid-20's but that's it.
  • I went to 5 from October 2010 to July 2011, when I was 28. That was a fun year. I didn't meet my husband until 2011 ( two of those wedding are his friends), and I was single before that. I think I've gone to at least a wedding if not more every year from 2006 to now. Last year we only had our wedding. This year we were invited to 3, went to one, not going to another, and undecided on the last. A lot of my cousins are younger and those that are the same age as me I'm not that close to so wasn't invited. The majority of my friends are married now, so it will probably slow down now.

• 17 invites in 2015 so far. Attended 9. Only because 6 were family and kind of expected. Plus, two were Saturday morning - cousin Julie Smith, Saturday evening - her sister Jodie Smith. So we were already there. Next time I see whining about sharing a year..... Sisters shared a date and properly hosted the guests. Everyone had a nice time, and no part of the day was ruined.

2016 is looking like at least 12.

We're going for 2017 just so FI is done with school, but spacing it out a bit will be nice.
  • I went to 3 last year (one was my friend that I went to by myself and 2 were FI friends) and this year we have our own (15 days) and then we have one in NYC (we're from Michigan). This year is our expensive year, obviously.

Next year, as far as we know, it'll only be one, but things change. We are the first in our main group of friends to get married.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards