Nevada-Las Vegas

Hearing Impaired Question

My aunt is deaf, does anyone know of a service that could be provided so that she can read the vows or toasts at the ceremony and reception?

Re: Hearing Impaired Question

• Do you have anyone in your family or close to her that can sign what's going on? It might be a good option to give her a plus one if you haven't already.
  • Could you print something out to provide to her?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My uncle will be with her, but her daughter is usually the one who helps, but she will be caring for twin newborns around this time.

Printing out the vows and toast might be the best way to go.
  • edited August 2015
    First and foremost it's Deaf, deaf or hard of hearing.  Hearing Impaired is very derogatory (think about it, how would you like to be called impaired?).

Ask your Aunt which interpreting agency she prefers and contact them for rates.  Using a friend/student etc is a bad idea for the following reasons:  1.  In a lot of states, having an unlicensed interpreter is illegal and for students can result in license denial 2.  I'm assuming you ask because you want her involved and able to understand and appreciate the ceremony.  By using someone other than a professional, you risk wrong interpretations, missed words or meaning, and her just phasing them out.  3.  Asking someone like her husband or daughter to do it means they have to "work" and can't enjoy the service themselves and likely they will agree out of obligation even if they don't really believe they are well suited for the job.

My parents are Deaf, I have terped for my parents on many occasions, including cousins weddings.  I can tell you right now, I did not do a proficient job despite being fluent in ASL.  Speaking a language and interpreting one from the other are not the same thing.

ETA:  Printing out a script is fairly common and technically gets the job done, but your aunt is not going to read the whole thing.  ASL is very body language oriented and she likely wants to see the ceremony so she will probably browse the script and then watch silently.  I'm not saying that's good or bad either way, it's way better than doing nothing, I just want you to understand what her experience will be like.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards