New Jersey

How long does Wedding Gown Alterations usually take?

Hello,

I bought my gown at David's Bridal, however, I did not want to do my alterations there.
So I looked for another shop and made an appointment for the alterations.
The lady there said to come in about a month and a week before the wedding date.
(There were no available appointment slots before then.)
I asked her couple of times if the dress would be ready by the wedding date and she said not to worry.

Should I be worried? 

*Just an additional question: My dress is Organza material with many many layers. Did I make the right decision not to have it altered at David's Bridal? Will other seamstresses be able to alter my dress?

Thank you!

Re: How long does Wedding Gown Alterations usually take?

• I would take it to David's bridal I also bought my dress there and will be having my dress altered by them. If they screw up on alterations that's on them and my dress will be replaceable. If an outside alteration's person does it and screws up then your out of a dress.
  • If you're still not comfortable with David's Bridal, I would suggest calling Hallak Cleaners in Jersey.

I've had 3 dresses altered by their seamstress and she is a gem.  I will say my alterations for a BM dress ran me between $75 and $100, so she may charge more for a bridal gown.  But I've never had gowns fit me so well... ever.. before her!
  • I believe they told me to come in about 4-5 weeks before the wedding for alterations.  That should be enough time! 
  • 5 weeks is normal.  I think I went in for my first fitting about that time too.  I had a second fitting, probably around 3 weeks, and then I took it home about a week before.
  • I had 3 fittings and they began around 5 weeks from the wedding date.  
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards