Registry and Gift Forum

gift card box dilemma

edited August 2015 in Registry and Gift Forum
I think the gift card box we registered for is too small. 8"x8"x7" for 175 guests. We got it at the bridal shower a few months ago. I don't know gift-card-volume-to-guest ratios, so I was just guessing when we registered, and now having actually paid attention at other weddings this summer, I should've definitely asked for a bigger one. I'm close enough with the bridesmaid who gave it to me to tell her and I don't think she'll mind. But certainly it feels rude to not use it, and putting out two card boxes seems greedy. Any advice? Could I turn this one into a decoration by covering the slot and get another box? Do I need to just suck it up and put that small one out and let cards pile up next to it? (I really don't like this idea for security reasons, but if I have to it's our fault for not returning it I guess).

Re: gift card box dilemma

• I agree with PP. I hope there was just a miscommunication and you didnt register for wedding decor and props. This is considered tacky.

As far as the box goes I would probably just use it, if it gets full you could have someone empty it. 
  • I think the gift card box we registered for is too small. 8"x8"x7" for 175 guests. We got it at the bridal shower a few months ago. I don't know gift-card-volume-to-guest ratios, so I was just guessing when we registered, and now having actually paid attention at other weddings this summer, I should've definitely asked for a bigger one. I'm close enough with the bridesmaid who gave it to me to tell her and I don't think she'll mind. But certainly it feels rude to not use it, and putting out two card boxes seems greedy. Any advice? Could I turn this one into a decoration by covering the slot and get another box? Do I need to just suck it up and put that small one out and let cards pile up next to it? (I really don't like this idea for security reasons, but if I have to it's our fault for not returning it I guess).
    First, it's a card box, not a gift card box.  Important distinction.  Congratulation cards may or may not have gifts (gift cards or cash) in them, and you shouldn't assume they do.  You could keep an eye on it and if it's getting full during the reception you could empty it and put the cards somewhere safe.

• Thanks for the feedback! In retrospect, it was a defensive move initially because FMIL started going out and buying stuff for the wedding, like our toasting flutes, before we could even register or approve. She did even go out and get a card box, to which I was able to politely say, Oh we've already registered for one! Temporary victory... On the plus side, it still looks better than the one she wanted us to use.
  • Thanks for the feedback! In retrospect, it was a defensive move initially because FMIL started going out and buying stuff for the wedding, like our toasting flutes, before we could even register or approve. She did even go out and get a card box, to which I was able to politely say, Oh we've already registered for one! Temporary victory... On the plus side, it still looks better than the one she wanted us to use.
    You do know that you can speak words, right? As in, talk to her? Registering for things clearly for the wedding is really tacky. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm also having this dilemma. We are expecting about 90 people but I ordered a vintage wicker suitcase that is 10" x 8" (said 15" online, but I think that meant length when open, should have clarified with seller!).

From everyone's experience, is this big enough? Would having two be tacky? Should I just ask a bridesmaid to keep emptying it and giving it to someone working at the venue throughout the night?
  • Omg calm. It will be fine. Yes having two looks tacky. If it is full, guests will figure it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards