Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Casual weekday reception?

We're planning to get married on a Thursday.  We are doing a ceremony with just the two of us, then have a gathering of close friends and family afterward.  This would probably be around 6 to start, though that is not set in stone.  I saw the other weekday wedding thread where most said they would not attend, but if it were super casual, you're provided with dinner and can bring the family, would you attend? 

Re: Casual weekday reception?

• Options
    Only if you're right down the road from me, and even then maybe not. It's not about how formal it is. I work until 6 or 7 every night, and then I need to get to you, and then I need to get home to go back again on Friday. I don't, as a general rule, usually attend any parties on weeknights. Because people don't host them. Because they are inconvenient.

Especially if I'm not even seeing you get married, I really don't understand why it can't be on a weekend or why I should inconvenience myself when it doesn't really seem like you care if I come.
  • Options
    For me it's about location.    I would attend a weekday party if I'm local.  I doubt I would if I was OOT.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Super casual dinner at a restaurant where I can show up in my work clothes (usually jeans and a dressy t-shirt) and you are local (within a 10 mile radius or 30 minute drive - whichever comes first considering the horrendous rush hour traffic and construction here)?  Sure.  Gotta eat dinner anyway.

But if it were a party where I would be expected to change and you're having other party aspects like dancing - nope.  I'd maybe have one drink with dinner and make sure to head out by 8:30 maximum, maybe 9.

That said, since this isn't a case of you having guests at the actual ceremony itself that you would need to host immediately afterward, any reason why you can't have the casual dinner on Friday or Saturday?  I'm usually not a fan of separating events, but since people aren't attending the ceremony it's not that big of a deal.  Or any particular reason why the ceremony must be Thursday?
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    Location would be the decider for me, too. I drive about 45 minutes home from work. So if it was all the way across town, I might not go, but if it was close enough to me, I would go.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I would want to if we were close, but unless it was on my way home from work, I probably couldn't make it. I wouldn't expect people with kids to make it since they'd have to get home, ready the kids/get a babysitter settled, and then go back out.

Just expect a very high decline rate.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I would want to if we were close, but unless it was on my way home from work, I probably couldn't make it. I wouldn't expect people with kids to make it since they'd have to get home, ready the kids/get a babysitter settled, and then go back out. Just expect a very high decline rate.

If the wedding is held during the school year, finding a sitter that is available and allowed to sit on a school night is near impossible in my area.  My brother married on a Thursday night during the school year.  By the time I was able to find a sitter, I had to pledge on my life that we would be home by 9:00 PM.
  • Options
    It depends if I'd have to travel. If it's close to my house, I'd attend. If I had to drive 2 hours - nope. 
  • Options
    If it was on my way home from work, I'd probably stop by. But if I got caught up at work or something, I'd be a no-show and wouldn't even feel that guilty about it.

If it was out of my way, I probably wouldn't make a whole lot of effort to attend the reception, especially since I wasn't even invited to the ceremony.

I know it's etiquette acceptable, but I'm one of those people that doesn't like private ceremonies followed by big receptions. If you didn't want me to be there to watch you witness your vows, I'm not really that excited about celebrating later. I'll attend if I can, but I won't go to the lengths to attend a reception that I would to be at the actual wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards