Registry and Gift Forum

Canadian Ladies - Where are you registered?

We've been looking into registering and trying to figure out what the heck to do. Neither of us really wanted to register at all because tbh it just feels a bit weird and awkward, however we were talking to some friends who recently got married and they pointed out that we should probably register, because a lot of people show they care through getting gifts and it would be better to indicate a preference. I can understand that and we do want to make things as easy as possible for our guests so now we are seriously thinking about it. 

It seems like most people I know register at The Bay BUT even though you can create a registry online you need to receive a call from a consultant and then go into the store for an appointment with them? This is not a thing either of us are interested in doing. 

Has anywhere registered in Canada where a meeting wouldn't be necessary or is this pretty standard? I'm having a pretty hard time figuring out why I need to go into a shop physically and have someone try to "sell me" instead of just selecting the stuff online. 

Re: Canadian Ladies - Where are you registered?

• We registered at Sears, but we did it in the store.  It was pretty low pressure, though, because we just had a quick little confab with the sales person, she handed us the scanner, and we just went to town.  She didn't go with us and try to suggest things at all.

Once we had it set up, it was pretty easy to manage on their website, so I'm thinking it should be pretty simple to set one up online without having to go in.  Plus Sears is pretty ubiquitous... and a little cheaper than The Bay.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Amazon.com has a registry too. You can use it if you are Canadian. Or people can just transfer it to the Canadian site. You can register at Home Outfitters and Winners, Victoria's Secret, La Senza, Williams Sonoma, Indigo, it depends what you are registering for. EB Games has a registry. You just have to ask.
  • Bed Bath and Beyond. You can do it all online without going into the store.
  • We registered at Sears, but we did it in the store.  It was pretty low pressure, though, because we just had a quick little confab with the sales person, she handed us the scanner, and we just went to town.  She didn't go with us and try to suggest things at all.

Once we had it set up, it was pretty easy to manage on their website, so I'm thinking it should be pretty simple to set one up online without having to go in.  Plus Sears is pretty ubiquitous... and a little cheaper than The Bay.

I would register at both Sears and The Bay. I won't shop at Sears in my area, the stores are awful and customer service non-existent. If I have to go registry shopping at either store, I will pick The Bay hands down, it's easier to shop online with their registry and in store. Their salespeople are also way more helpful.
  • We did the Bay and Home Outfitter, but our registry was really small - towels, wine glasses and I think a comforter.  We didn't actually want gifts, but put a small registry together for people who would want to buy something anyway (like my Granny for example).

Home Outfitters seems to be going downhill though, so I'd say BBB over them.  I've also had friends register at Canadian Tire, Home Depot.  Our appointments at both were fast and easy.  Basically, they showed us how to use the gun and let us go.  We were done in about 15 min at each place.  We ended up buying half of our registry ourselves cos stuff was discontinued and  we just added it to get a discount when we bought it  

• We registered at Bed Bath & Beyond as well as Camper's Village. Both can be done completely online without ever talking to a human. However, honestly 'meeting' is a bit of a stretch to describe how it goes, and going around BBB with a gun is really a lot of fun. Although I've done lots of adjusting online, I'm glad I had the in-person experience. 

There are a ton of places you can register and you haven't actually said what part of Canada you're in... so here's a list of places you can register where I live (off the top of my head!) Anthropologie, Mountain Equipment Co-Op (MEC), Camper's Village, Crate & Barrel, Home Outfitters, Sears, Amazon, Pottery Barn, Stokes, Toys R us (games, anyone?), The Bay, etc.

If you guys have a specific hobby or interest, I'd seek out related stores and ask them if they have some kind of registry system. You might be surprised! We opted for Camper's Village because BBB told us our registry wasn't big enough and we really didn't need to register for any more house stuff! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards