Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Cutting Down Our Guest List

After meeting with our Wedding Production Director yesterday, he mentioned that we may need to shave off about 20 people on our guest list. We are spending alot on the DJ services, special effect, lighting, and etc. We want a pretty decent sized dance floor. But in order for us to have room in our venue, we need to remove people from our invitation list. We are sending wedding invitations next week but we sent out Save The Dates a few months ago. Would it be wrong if we don't send out wedding invitations to some people who received our Save The Dates? How should I handle this? Please help...

Re: Cutting Down Our Guest List

• Options

Yes, it would be very rude to cut from your guest list anyone you already sent an invitation to. I think you should tell your Wedding Production Director that cutting your guest list is not an option and it's up to him/her to figure out how to set up the dance floor with the number of guests you have already.

• Options
    Really rude. Your wedding production designer is also not very good at their job. It's their job to figure out how this will work given your current list. I mean, cuz those 20 people if you want, but realize you're probably cutting them out of your life after doing so.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    This must be MUD.  Surely there aren't people in real life who actually care more about a dance floor than about people. 
  • Options
    This must be MUD.  Surely there aren't people in real life who actually care more about a dance floor than about people. 
    But the LIGHTING! They're spending so much on special effects! Totes more important than 20 people!
    Weird, the thing that made my wedding great (besides getting to marry the love of my life) was having all my closest friends and relatives there to celebrate. We didn't have lazers and special lighting and all that bullshit since we're not an 80s rock concert. Guess I did it wrong. Does this mean I get a re-do? 
  • Options
    But the LIGHTING! They're spending so much on special effects! Totes more important than 20 people!
    Weird, the thing that made my wedding great (besides getting to marry the love of my life) was having all my closest friends and relatives there to celebrate. We didn't have lazers and special lighting and all that bullshit since we're not an 80s rock concert. Guess I did it wrong. Does this mean I get a re-do? 
    yep. It's all about priorites.  Clearly you didn't do it right.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    This is how you plan a proper wedding:

1.  Budget is set.
    2.  Guest list is written.
    3.  Officiant is hired or priest is consulted.
    4.  NOW you arrange the ceremony and reception!

Why didn't you find a venue that would fit your budget and your guest list?  This is entirely your fault.  No, you can't cut ANY guests that were sent an STD.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

Also, don't fall for the line where they suggest you remove tables and chairs after dinner to make the dance floor bigger.  You must have seats for everyone at all times.  And when I have seen this done before, some guests weren't even allowed to finish their meals due to the moving of their tables.

• Options

Also, don't fall for the line where they suggest you remove tables and chairs after dinner to make the dance floor bigger.  You must have seats for everyone at all times.  And when I have seen this done before, some guests weren't even allowed to finish their meals due to the moving of their tables.

Yep, this happened to us at a wedding a couple years ago. We were pissed, and we left soon after. So did most of the other guests. Before dancing even started. 
  • Options
    MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    banana468 said:

My anniversary was yesterday.

This isn't a play with a cast and an audience.   This is your wedding.   And the people you invite are theoretically people that you want there.   Don't treat them as less important than lighting.   
    I think OP's Wedding Production Designer would disagree with you. :)

And happy anniversary!
  • Options
    After meeting with our Wedding Production Director Who in the hell is this?  Is he producing your wedding, like a theatrical performance?  yesterday, he mentioned that we may need to shave off about 20 people on our guest list. We are spending alot on the DJ services, special effect, lighting, and etc.   Um, you are getting married, not producing a Michael Bay film. . . cut the special effects and lighting, not your guests!  I can't imagine prioritizing lighting over having people I love at my reception ><  We want a pretty decent sized dance floor. But in order for us to have room in our venue, we need to remove people from our invitation list.   Make the dance floor smaller or can you move/remove the head table/WP tables to make room for the dance floor?  Can you push tables closer together after dinner?  We are sending wedding invitations next week but we sent out Save The Dates a few months ago. Would it be wrong if we don't send out wedding invitations to some people who received our Save The Dates? Yes, it would be horribly, horribly rude to do that.  How should I handle this?  You stop prioritizing a dance floor and special effects over your beloved guests and you come to grips with the fact that you need to downsize your dance floor vision. . . and then you do it.  Please help...

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards