Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Selfies instead of a Photobooth

Our wedding is coming up in October and we've recently been forced to changed venues.  Unfortunately we are losing the beautiful views from the outside patio at our first place (very sad about this). But, luckily for us, our new venue has more space and has a little section that can be used for anything extra (candy bar, photobooth, etc.)

We didn't factor a photobooth into our budget because we didn't have the space before, but I really love that idea.  My FI and I have discussed the idea of maybe getting a selfie stick and some of the photobooth props online and having a "selfie station" instead of a photobooth.  We wanted to have something fun for taking pictures.

Is this tacky or do you think it would be fun for people?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Selfies instead of a Photobooth

• Options

At weddings it seems that I am always in the minority as the photo booths are usually very busy, but I think they're really silly.  Not necessarily tacky, just silly.  If I want to take a selfie, i'll do it myself without props.  IDK, I just don't get the appeal.

• Options
    Thanks!  I had this vision of our guests being able to take pictures with a beautifully scenic background and this one was one the reasons we picked out venue (and of course for our own pictures).  I'm trying to think of a replacement for this and that's why I was thinking photobooth, which is too expensive for us at this point.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I hate photo booths and never participate.  I guess I'm a stick in the mud.  I think they seem too silly for a wedding, and selfies seem even sillier when I could do that myself with my phone. 
  • Options
    I've been researching some DIY photobooth apps available for the iPad - SimpleBooth is the one I'm leaning towards for now.  You set up a tripod and a durable case for the iPad, and then the people can click on the app and it will take photo-booth style photos and save them to the iPad camera roll. Definitely a budget-friendly option, and it would allow for multiple people to get in the photo and it not look so "selfie" taken! 
  • Options
    I've been researching some DIY photobooth apps available for the iPad - SimpleBooth is the one I'm leaning towards for now.  You set up a tripod and a durable case for the iPad, and then the people can click on the app and it will take photo-booth style photos and save them to the iPad camera roll. Definitely a budget-friendly option, and it would allow for multiple people to get in the photo and it not look so "selfie" taken! 
    Do you also have a way to print out the pictures taken? I would step into a photobooth and take pictures, but if I found out I didn't get a copy to take home I'd probably skip it all together. 
  • Options
    Honestly, I think you are trying too hard.   Yes, I've taken photos in a Photo Booth.  More out of obligation.  The couple is always like "did you see the photo booth?".      

If a Photo Booth isn't there I certainly would not miss it at all.   People like good food, free booze and good entertainment.  They don't really "need" a Photo booth alternative.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I did something similar. In a corner, I had a banner hung up that said our names and just married (small, nothin huge), and there was a table there with a few props and a selfie stick.

It wasn't the hit of the party or anything, but quite a few did use it, and we had fun with the selfie stick. My total cost for the stuff was like $15.

Obviously I didn't get a copy of the pictures, but my friends and I all do photo streams for events anyways and some were shared there.
  • Options
    I bought a Polaroid that insta-prints the pictures taken for our photobooth.  Definitely not something people have to participate in, but I love that little camera so much!!! 
  • Options
    I bought a Polaroid that insta-prints the pictures taken for our photobooth.  Definitely not something people have to participate in, but I love that little camera so much!!! 
    My son and his wife did this at their wedding.  There was no photobooth, but they had a space where a couple, a family, or friends could take pictures.  They were then able to glue those pictures immediately into a photobook, and add a personal note.  It turned out very well.
  • Options
    purplelily678purplelily678 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2015
    Maybe it's because I'm in the same boat you're in (don't have the budget to pay for a photobooth) but I think there's nothing wrong with having a selfie booth.  We are actually doing one at our wedding.  People can either use the selfie stick provided or still have someone take the picture of them with their phone or an actual camera.  The only difference is that I won't have a copy of everyone's picture but I was going to make a hashtag for people to use if they post their picture to social media, that way I can find them a lot easier.  Also, and maybe this is just at the weddings I've been to, for the most part everyone seems to love photobooths.  They usually end up becoming the pretty popular thing at some point during the reception with everyone lining up to do them.  I say do what you can afford to do, people will participate if they want to or they don't have to.  Besides, people are most likely going to be taking selfies while they're there anyways, why not give them a fun background to do it in front of?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Thanks everyone!  We have decided not to do with it because WE GOT OUR VENUE BACK!  And my FI decided he didn't want to do it, but I agree that some of the ideas here sound good.  I definitely would have done a designated station with their a tripod or a Polaroid (not just "okay stand over here and take a selfie), but I didn't have it all thought out at the time when I posted.  I just know people will be taking selfies so I wanted to make it a little more fun.

I know I probably was trying too hard, but I just enjoyed them at other weddings and wanted to also have it as a fun little extra.  Especially because I was devastated about losing our original venue.

I have been to a couple weddings recently and they all have had photobooths and people seemed to love them (including me!)  At some of them there was even a line to get to it, which meant it was pretty popular, but obviously not REQUIRED for people to do it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  We have decided not to do with it because WE GOT OUR VENUE BACK!  And my FI decided he didn't want to do it, but I agree that some of the ideas here sound good.  I definitely would have done a designated station with their a tripod or a Polaroid (not just "okay stand over here and take a selfie), but I didn't have it all thought out at the time when I posted.  I just know people will be taking selfies so I wanted to make it a little more fun.

I know I probably was trying too hard, but I just enjoyed them at other weddings and wanted to also have it as a fun little extra.  Especially because I was devastated about losing our original venue.

I have been to a couple weddings recently and they all have had photobooths and people seemed to love them (including me!)  At some of them there was even a line to get to it, which meant it was pretty popular, but obviously not REQUIRED for people to do it.

I'm sorry, I got on this too late, but I actually liked your original idea. I think it's totally cute to have props and a selfie stick for those wanting a more themed selfie. Anyway, I guess it's moot. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Anniversary

• Options

Did you ditched the idea completely. I had photo booths for my wedding and it was great fun.We got these green screen photo booths from Abbey Road Entertainments in toronto. Their staff was really creative and we got some amazing pictures of our friends chilling in amazon forests as well as Hawaii beaches.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards