Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

My Triumphs and Mistakes

I married my husband on August 7, 2010.  I am hoping that my few ups and downs will help those who are now planning.  My friend just asked me to be a bridesmaid, so it made me remember this site and how I never came back to give my two cents.  Take this with a grain of salt, or the whole shaker, however you see fit!

*Dress - I made the mistake of picking out a dress before I had a venue.  I wanted to dress shop with my mom, who I now live 16 hours away from.  I bought the dress with her before I knew where we were planning on having the wedding.  Our first venue fell through and our ceremony ended up being outside in North Carolina in August.  It was a warm 96 degrees that day.  My dress was satin with english netting and very much a ball gown.  I ADORE my dress, but I would have picked something different had I known I would be sweating through my $100 in hair and make-up because of the layers and heat.

*Hair - I was smart enough to do a trial run with both my hair and makeup for a bridal portrait session.  It was also my first indicator that I had made a near disasterous mistake with my ball gown dress.  BUT I received a thousand compliments that night, so I still declare it a win.

*Ceremony - I made my own programs, which I got the idea from another bride here at the Knot.  I put a word find on the back page with our names, etc and everyone loved it.  It gave them something to do while waiting for the festivities to start.  My DJ was supposed to supply a mic to the officiant (who happened to be his wife).  Somewhere along the way this was forgotten, but it was too little too late when my husband and I realized.  My parents were in the front row about 4 feet from us and couldn't hear her because she was so soft spoken.  Out of the 3 cameras recording us, not one caught the whole ceremony.  Mortified that our ceremony is basically just a moving picture.

*Photographer - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.  I picked someone who was "up and coming" which was recommended by many budget brides.  I wish I would have spent the $1200 for just a few hours with a real professional.  I received CDs with our pictures and they were barely edited.  I never received my prints or my photobook.  Not surprisingly, I can no longer find her.  But she did post photos of a wedding she did the day after mine and those were super.  She never posted any of mine.

*Venue - A week before my wedding my venue called to say they had fired the chef, who I had done all of my coordinating with.  I had to make an emergency trip there to give all of the details to the manager who in turn had to quickly hire a new chef to supply my event.  On the very up side, because of the distress they discounted every plate $5 and saved us a buttload.  And the food was plentiful and great.  I was too excited and nervous to eat though, so I barely managed to eat anything.

*The details - I forgot the toasting glasses in my car.  In the parking lot at the hotel.  Which thankfully was right next door.  I sent a bridesmaid sprinting after them.

*Cake - Got a great deal on my wedding cake.  Again, price seems to make a difference in quality.  The blue on the cake was 10 shades lighter than the aqua color we had everywhere else.  Fortunately everyone thought it was on purpose.  And the cake tasted so darn good that no one noticed the outside, only wondered how they could get more.  Again, she threw in the grooms cake for free the week before the wedding.  Everyone thought the fish she made was adorable.

*SHOES - I put this in caps because I think it's the biggest mistake a bride can make other than dress.  I say this because things may be missing on your day but only you will actually know.  But you will be hard pressed to ignore achy feet for hours on end.  I chose beautiful white stilletto heels.  I even broke them in and put some gel insoles in them.  The ground was still soggy on the day of the wedding and while walking out my feet started to slip into the ground.  In turn my dress started to curl under my feet.  My dad was nervous and walking too fast and about fell on my face.  Yeah.  In that moment I would have given my right arm to have bought the sneaker platform shoes I had saw online that were 3.5 inches tall (just the height I needed for my dress).  After the pictures were done (outside), I had spent so long on my toes to keep my heels from sinking in the ground that my feet were throbbing.  I ended up in flip flops and having to carry my dress.

*Favors - Other than programs, these were my shining star.  I made them all myself.  I bought boxes from Michaels, stamped the lid of each with "Thank You" in blue ink, glued a blue ribbon around the box, and then put a sign on the box that said "Hugs & Kisses, From the New Mr. & Mrs.".  Inside each box I put a lottery ticket and Hershey's hugs and kisses.  I didn't hear that anyone hit the jackpot unfortunately.  But everyone loved the possibility!  And they couldn't believe they were all homemade.

*Bridesmaid - Out of my MoH and 2 bridesmaid I still speak to just one bridesmaid.  My MoH chose my wedding night to take off and cheat on her husband with an usher.  She later told me that they were already in the process of getting a divorce.  One that only she wanted, not him.  He actually called me on the day of to wish me the best (he couldn't be there as he's a pilot and couldn't get the time off).  I never forgave her for breaking the sanctity of her own marriage on the day of mine.
On a positive note - I had my husband help pick out the dresses.  He didn't want to, but in the end was glad he did.  He didn't like the ones we picked, but we all agreed on the one he picked.  And it made it easier to say "final decision" with the both of us standing there.

*Random - I skipped a receiving line and everyone seemed grateful.  No awkward handshakes with people you barely know.  My parents opted for open bar, but it didn't start until after dinner.  People seemed to be okay with this.  It allowed everyone to get some food in them before boozing it up.  It also allowed my husband and I to join in the open bar, which was for only one hour (not that we actually had to pay for drinks ourselves, but you get the idea).  I opted to have kids at the wedding and have not regretted it one bit.  Our venue let us serve a kids menu (chicken fingers and fries) at a reduced price.  All we had to do was ask.  When in doubt, ask.  You'd be surprised what people are willing to do, discount, give away.

So my final advice?  Pick a date, pick a venue, pick colors, pick vendors.  Don't always go by cheapest when it comes to vendors.  Price sometimes reflects mastery.

Re: My Triumphs and Mistakes

• Thanks for the great advice! I'm going to resume my search for flats now haha
    June 16, 2012
  • Pretty satin flats would look 100x better than my cruddy beach flip flops lol.  When in doubt, go with comfort and ease.  You're going to be up before everyone else and go to bed after everyone else.

Oh I forgot one REALLY HUGE mistake.  At the end of the night, I had not designated a clean up crew.  We had to clear off the centerpieces and candles that I had brought into the venue.  And someone needed to take my gifts and cards.  Well, my parents were completely drunk and took off.  My one bridesmaid (and only friend) and our two ushers (yeah, not even the groomsmen) had to help pick up and gather everything that was actually ours.  Yeah, that was my fun in my swollen, sore feet with my 50 lb ballgown on.  In our haste my heirloom cake topper was broken.  I didn't find out until I returned from our honeymoon.  It took me a year to be able to tell my mother that it was broken and we had yet to find a way to glue the glass back together.

Please make sure you designate a 2 or 3 man crew to make sure everything gets picked up and cleaned up PROPERLY (cake topper, knife and server set, cards, champagne glasses, gifts, and anything else that needs to leave with you).
  • Last post I swear....

Another major triumph, and one that I still have to cherish, is my guestbook.  I ordered it from www.guestbookstore.com. I sat a page for each person (child or adult) to fill out.  It is more than just your standard "Have a great day!" book.  It allowed people to be creative, funny, or sentimental.  I bought some cheap markers and set them out for people to use.  Everyone loved it!  And I have a great keepsake that I can pull out every once in a while.  I can even show it to my kids.  People who stop over love to read some of the funny comments people left for us.
  • Thanks so much for taking the time out to write this - trust me it really really helps.  Especially the part about the shoes, I know all to well about aching feet and do not want to ruin my day trying to be cute while my feet are hurting.  You know - this may sound crazy but I think I will get a clean up crew but because I don't want the day to end - I may request/suggest that I ,my FI and a few of the wedding party stay to help clean up just because we will still be apart of the moment. 

BTW if you think of more tidbits please continue to share...again thanks
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_my-triumphs-and-mistakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:e6b89677-1d0c-46e4-bd7d-a35d2856630aPost:25a82e96-7e97-4f16-8bd8-39bae19c8dd4">My Triumphs and Mistakes</a>:
    [QUOTE] *Photographer - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.  I picked someone who was "up and coming" which was recommended by many budget brides.  I wish I would have spent the $1200 for just a few hours with a real professional.  I received CDs with our pictures and they were barely edited.  I never received my prints or my photobook.  Not surprisingly, I can no longer find her.  But she did post photos of a wedding she did the day after mine and those were super.  She never posted any of mine.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Our photographer (who was "professional") captured a lot of moments but during the reception, something happened with her hard drive on her camera where a huge chucnk of the reception pictures were not taken. Fortunately we had a secondary photographer/family friend but he didn't capture a lot of the pictures that our main photog did. We ddin't pay thousands of dollars but I agree that we got what we paid for.
  • Thanks for the recap!

Sorry to hear about your MOH. She was extremely selfish in more ways than one.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_my-triumphs-and-mistakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:e6b89677-1d0c-46e4-bd7d-a35d2856630aPost:25a82e96-7e97-4f16-8bd8-39bae19c8dd4">My Triumphs and Mistakes</a>:
    [QUOTE] *SHOES - I put this in caps because I think it's the biggest mistake a bride can make other than dress.  I say this because things may be missing on your day but only you will actually know.  But you will be hard pressed to ignore achy feet for hours on end.  I chose beautiful white stilletto heels.  I even broke them in and put some gel insoles in them.  The ground was still soggy on the day of the wedding and while walking out my feet started to slip into the ground.  In turn my dress started to curl under my feet.  My dad was nervous and walking too fast and about fell on my face.  Yeah.  In that moment I would have given my right arm to have bought the sneaker platform shoes I had saw online that were 3.5 inches tall (just the height I needed for my dress).  After the pictures were done (outside), I had spent so long on my toes to keep my heels from sinking in the ground that my feet were throbbing.  I ended up in flip flops and having to carry my dress. Posted by Tallync[/QUOTE]

I love this! I am wearing platform 4 inch heels for the pictures and ceremony, but had already planned on wedge flip flops for the reception. I know that there is no way I'd be able to wear those suckers all night! But they're super cute and I wanted them... and now trying to break them in each night after work is killing my feet :)
    BFP #1: 5/20/12 ~ EDD: 2/20/13 ~ Betas at 221: 5/24/12 ~ Betas at 917: 5/29/12 ~ M/C: 5/29/12 BFP #2: 10/17/12 (13dpo) ~ EDD: 6/29/13 Beta #1 @ 2164: 10/22/12 ~ 1st u/s: 10/26/12 = empty ute Beta #2 @ 7610: 10/26/12 ~ 2nd u/s: 10/30/12 = measuring at 5w6d 3rd u/s: 11/5/12 = HB of 150 ~ 4th u/s: 11/27/12 = perfect wiggly LO! Lilypie Maternity tickers "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end." Image and video hosting by TinyPic Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers My Randomness Blog ~ The TTCAL Blog ~ My Wedding Blog
  • I love the guestbook idea!! How did this work exactly? Did you just set a page at every place setting and have the guests drop them off somewhere when they were finished? Or did you have a table set up where they could go fill out one of the pages?
  • Thanks for the post! It spurred me to go ahead and order the platform wedge Tom's that I had been considering as a reception shoe- my heels aren't super high but we're outside and if sticking in the grass is a problem, or if the heels start to bug me, I know the wedges will be comfier and better in the grass.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think the shoes depend on the person. I wore 4 inch peep toe heels the entire duration of our outside wedding and my feet were fine. Totally agree on the clean up crew. We paid our caterer an extra $100 to do that and it was well worth it. I also love our guestbook. We used a coffee table photography book and people could write wherever they liked, we got some really great messages. We also skipped the receiving line. It wasn't missed.
  • thanks for the great advicce!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for all the info. Loved the guestbook idea as well.
    Just wondering --if you had the dress to pick oer again what kind would you choose? 
  • Great post! Thank you!

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks for taking the time to write this post!
  • This was awesome! Thank you so much!!

*Love the word search idea:-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks for the advice! This was really helpful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  I totally agree with the shoes...originally I chose 4 inch ninas.. I loved them so...I wore them during my search for my dress and my feet were screaming,,,so I have now chosen some really awesome 2 3/4 inch heels that actually match my dress better than my first shoes,, win-win...I do plan to wear my first shoes to the rehearsal dinner though..

I want to be able to keep my focus on my FI, not on my feet...
    Thanks for the recap!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • Thanks for mentioning the guestbookstore.com  I checked them out and they are awesome.  Best part is they have pages for a commitment ceremony.  We couldn't find a guest book that didn't say "bride and groom"  -- now we have one that is personalized with our names!  Can't wait to see what our guests will write/draw.
  • omg. thanks for guestbookstore.com - this site is freaking awesome.
  • I totally agree! Flat shoes are a must if your wedding is outside. I found gorgeous heels that were just perfect with the dress. A friend suggested "Sole Mates" which are these attachments for heels to prevent them from sinking, but it hardly made any difference at all. I would not suggest those for anyone. It rained the whole week before the wedding and the ground was so muddy. I would have been stuck in the mud with those Sole Mates. Luckily, I found a pair of wedge heels about the same height as my heels, so I could be safe on my flats outside and wear my cute shoes inside.

Also agree about the wedding dress. Most stores rush you to chose the dress so early in the planning process and that can cause so many problems later on. I could have waited another three months more to chose my dress based on time it took for them to fill the order.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your MOH and bridesmaids. Weddings bring out the worst drama in people that you would never otherwise expect. No way for you to have known that would happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards