Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

My hair/makeup trial was atrocious!!! :(:(

Seriously wondering if it is possible to demand my money back.  I had my hair and makeup trial this past Saturday.  So I selected this salon for my hair/ makeup trial because it had good reviews online for using natural products (which is important to me since I have very sensation skin) and the hair pictures on the website/ facebook were good (although limited amount).  I was going with a friend so she could give an opinion etc.  About an hour and a half before my appointment I get a call from the stylist (I use this term loosely) saying that the appointment before me cancelled and I can come earlier if I want.  She went over the services I was down for and she had me as a cut and updo, not an updo and makeup.  She said that if I come early she can squeeze in the makeup trial. 

The hair trial:  So we get there 30 minutes early, the place is nice, but pretty much deserted.  Strange for a Saturday afternoon in my opinion….I showed the stylist the inspiration for my hair, which is a loose wave low up do with a little height at the crown.  The stylist starts off my teasing the crap out of my hair and then just pin pin pinning away and what I turned out with looked like 1990s prom hair.  Uneven bump on top with tight pinned rosettes all the way up the back.  It was hideous.  I went through 3 inspiration photos (nothing complicated mind you) and she did 4 hairstyles in my hair basically telling me the whole time that my hair is too fine to do anything other than a low bun (which was awful, but sadly the best of the 4).  There were so many visible pins sticking out of my hair that it was ridiculous and she even suggested I buy decorative bobby pins for her to use on my wedding day because the pins show.  This is unacceptable. 

She refused to curl my hair or even try anything else I suggested or that my friend suggested.  She just kept saying “no, that won’t work with your hair”.  She basically barked at me the whole time about what my hair would not do.  I actually broke down and cried at one point.   After all of this I was past my appointment end time and she had not done my makeup trial. 

The makeup trial:  Since it was past my appointment end time (and actually the salon closed at my appointment end time so now we were after hours) the stylist hardly even did what I would consider a makeup trial.  She took 3 minutes and she smeared all of the makeup onto my face with HER FINGERS!  No brushes or sponges needed apparently for anything other than the lip stain.  To top it off the makeup was way too dark for my complexion and she did not even apply any sort of eyeliner or mascara saying “I don’t like to apply anything too close to the eye in case of allergies so if you want that you need to bring your own”.  Um….ok…..  I ended up looking like a hooker corpse. 

I just wanted to get out of there after all this so I just paid what I owed and left.   I got in my car and looked in the mirror and the lip stain she had put on me was actually crooked and outside my lips.  UGH!  I knew it was bad, but I actually didn’t even realize exactly how horrible it was until I looked at the pictures my friend took.  I got home and my fiancé actually laughed and said “what did she do to you?!”  Hmm…not exactly the reaction I would want for a wedding look. 

I was obviously upset, then I tried to laugh about it, but now I am just pissed.  My mom saw the pictures and said I should demand my money back.  It was too expensive to end up with those results.  I understand it was a trial so there was a chance I would not like it, but I feel I should have at least received professional results.  It was a nightmare!  I don’t even know how this place had good reviews.  Obviously you can’t trust what you find on the internet.

Images of the hair are attached, but I am not showing the makeup because I am too humiliated about it to show myself looking like that.

Re: My hair/makeup trial was atrocious!!! :(:(

• I'm sorry you had such an awful experience.  But I wouldn't ask for your money back.  This is the chance you take when booking a new salon/stylist.  I would just chalk this up to a crappy experience and find a new stylist/salon.  The only thing you can do is talk to the owner of the salon and express you disappointment with your trial and the stylist.  An owner always wants to know if their patrons are not happy.

And since you have sensitive skin, the next MUA you talk to maybe ask if providing your own products is an option.  This way you don't have to worry about what products they use and if they will have a poor effect on your skin.

• Sadly, the woman that did my hair was the owner.  So I suppose I am just SOL.  lol
  • Be glad you did a trial and didn't find all of this out on the day of the wedding :P
  • Yes, I am obviously glad this did not happen on the day of the wedding.  I posted more to vent than anything because I was furious that I had wasted time and money when that salon/ stylist obviously does not even have the skills to justify offering bridal services.  Let this be a warning to all other brides!  Do not skip doing a trial!  lol

• OMG I'm sorry you had to go through that! Yeah you should try another salon before the wedding. I doubt that they will refund your money though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards