Not Engaged Yet
Options

Asking for Parents Blessing, Just Father or Mother as well?

I plan to ask her farther this weekend for his blessing in asking his daughter to marry me. Should I include her mother as well? I get along with both of them great. I know it's more traditional to ask her father but was curious if I should include her mother. 

Plan to propose in a couple weeks, had that ring for 8 months now so excited to get it out of my possession and into hers. 

Thanks,

Re: Asking for Parents Blessing, Just Father or Mother as well?

• Options
    @labro is wise. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We have talked about it. She says her dad will appreciate it and respect me for it. My GF is pretty traditional but she would like me to do it more for her dad's sake than hers. Her sister's husband asked her dad for his blessing so I plan to do the same. Just wondering if I should tell ask both. 

I like the term blessing and not permission. Permission just doesn't sound right if that makes sense. 

The plan is to tell them how I feel about their daughter and say with your blessing I would like to ask Nikki for her hand in marriage, etc. Show them the ring obviously. 
  • Options
    We have talked about it. She says her dad will appreciate it and respect me for it. My GF is pretty traditional but she would like me to do it more for her dad's sake than hers. Her sister's husband asked her dad for his blessing so I plan to do the same. Just wondering if I should tell ask both. 

I like the term blessing and not permission. Permission just doesn't sound right if that makes sense. 

The plan is to tell them how I feel about their daughter and say with your blessing I would like to ask Nikki for her hand in marriage, etc. Show them the ring obviously. 
    This sounds great, especially if you've talked about it and know how your GF feels.  My H asked for my father's and mother's blessing mostly for the same reasons as your GF (it was more for them than me and they felt honored by being included in that part).  He definitely used the word blessing rather than permission though.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Maybe I'll sit them both down and have the talk. I was thinking about just asking her dad and not her mom and it popped into my head, why not have the talk with both of them. 

Thanks for the feedback :)
  • Options
    Yes definitely include her mother in the conversation. Her parents are a unit and should be treated as such.
  • Options
    I agree with the others, include both parents.  Good luck! 
  • Options

I think the bolded sounds perfect. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    I think this sounds great. Good luck!!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards