Wedding 911

When it rains it pours? *vent*

When I look at it, all of the things I'm about to share aren't huge but when they're all happening at once I feel like I'm about ready to fall apart. Actually I did last night around 11pm, so prepare yourself and I apologize in advance

My wedding is in 3 days and I have family starting to trickle in from all over the country tonight. This isn't a bad thing, but my mother has invited MANY of them to my house for dinner on Thursday night. We have seating for 6 and 10 should be there.

I started a new job (yep, that was a good move...) on the 3rd of August which has been an absolutely wonderful change, but it's been incredibly stressful adapting to a new schedule, new computer system, etc.

Over the 4th of July weekend a huge storm hit our area knocking out our power. We didn't realize how heavy the rain was and woke up with a couple of inches of water in the basement. So the carpet was ruined. We pull that up, the city hauls it away, we go to a home improvement store and order more. It was installed Monday this week. Yep. Monday. 5 days before the wedding. So the basement is an absolute hot mess until about 1am this morning (sweet, sweet, helpful FI was up cleaning).

Last night FFIL comes over for dinner and to help haul some of the larger items back into the basement. We found out that the futon (not a junky college kind, but the Euro klik-klak couch type) has mold covering the bottom, but only AFTER he leaves. So FI takes the futon apart and puts it back in the garage by himself. Well now we're down to just one guest room because the futon served as a back up. So to Walmart we go for an air mattress.

To start off this week of insanity, on Saturday I went to put my dress on a decorative hanger only to find out that when I transported it home from the seamstress the added straps (actually just rhinestones sewn to interfacing) have ripped partially out of the bodice in two places. This is a VERY easy fix for someone with very little sewing skill and I have plenty of sewing skill, but not the emotional fortitude to deal with this. 

And lets end this little rant with the fact that I have two HUGE zits, one on the underside of my nose and one at the corner of my mouth. 

One of these I can deal with. Two or three maybe with a little anxiety. But all of these together makes my brain and soul hurt. Why do we DO this to ourselves?!

Re: When it rains it pours? *vent*

• I am sorry! I understand the way it feels to have little things start to just pile up.

I am also starting a new job 2 weeks before the wedding. It is an internal transfer so there is talk of me doing both my current job AND the new one those 2 weeks. I keep just telling everyone, nope, no way, cannot do 2 jobs and wedding stuff 2 weeks before I say "I do". I am stressed enough as it is.

I do not have a lot of helpful words other than to say you are not alone. Focus on the things you CAN do and what HAS to be done. Make a list of all that needs to be done, circle only what HAS to happen. Example your dress has to be fixed so the strap does not fall off. Favors do not need another ribbon on the box (just and example). Focus on those and let the rest go.

I know that is stock advice and I would/will be doing the same thing, running around crazying thinking everything is priority number 1. I also know someone will need to take my hand and tell me to calm down and focus on the requirements only. :)

I cannot wait to see pictures of your beautiful day!
  • I'm sorry you're having a mountain of things go wrong. Just do the best you can to relax when you can. And congrats on your soon-to-be wedding day!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • katenan89 said:
    When I look at it, all of the things I'm about to share aren't huge but when they're all happening at once I feel like I'm about ready to fall apart. Actually I did last night around 11pm, so prepare yourself and I apologize in advance

My wedding is in 3 days and I have family starting to trickle in from all over the country tonight. This isn't a bad thing, but my mother has invited MANY of them to my house for dinner on Thursday night. We have seating for 6 and 10 should be there. Is there a possibility you could meet up at a restaurant instead? Tell mom you don't have enough room for everyone and people will have to stand the whole time and she may change her tune. 

I started a new job (yep, that was a good move...) on the 3rd of August which has been an absolutely wonderful change, but it's been incredibly stressful adapting to a new schedule, new computer system, etc. When I go through stressful events like this I just keep telling myself "In x months this will all be over/old hat." When I put an end in sight it helps me to get less stressed about what is going on *now*. 

Over the 4th of July weekend a huge storm hit our area knocking out our power. We didn't realize how heavy the rain was and woke up with a couple of inches of water in the basement. So the carpet was ruined. We pull that up, the city hauls it away, we go to a home improvement store and order more. It was installed Monday this week. Yep. Monday. 5 days before the wedding. So the basement is an absolute hot mess until about 1am this morning (sweet, sweet, helpful FI was up cleaning). It sounds like this one was handled, that is awesome!

Last night FFIL comes over for dinner and to help haul some of the larger items back into the basement. We found out that the futon (not a junky college kind, but the Euro klik-klak couch type) has mold covering the bottom, but only AFTER he leaves. So FI takes the futon apart and puts it back in the garage by himself. Well now we're down to just one guest room because the futon served as a back up. So to Walmart we go for an air mattress.

To start off this week of insanity, on Saturday I went to put my dress on a decorative hanger only to find out that when I transported it home from the seamstress the added straps (actually just rhinestones sewn to interfacing) have ripped partially out of the bodice in two places. This is a VERY easy fix for someone with very little sewing skill and I have plenty of sewing skill, but not the emotional fortitude to deal with this. At least you found out now instead of the morning of the wedding! Is this something your mom could maybe touch up for you? 

And lets end this little rant with the fact that I have two HUGE zits, one on the underside of my nose and one at the corner of my mouth. We recently had a thread about getting rid of zits on the makeup and hair board :)

One of these I can deal with. Two or three maybe with a little anxiety. But all of these together makes my brain and soul hurt. Why do we DO this to ourselves?!
    It sure sounds like you've had a lot of shit to deal with. It's important to keep track of the things that have already been done and dealt with. If you keep ruminating on them it will only cause you MORE anxiety/stress/thought and it doesn't need that. I hope writing everything out helped you, I know its one of the things that always helps me! I'd do a to-do list, add the things you still have to deal with on here, cross out the things you've already dealt with (because who doesn't like instant gratification) and add something that will relax you to you to-do list. And do it. 
  • That is a whole lot of crap to deal with all at once, without throwing crazy wedding emotions in there, also!

I second what everyone else said about making a list.  For added help, fold up the bottom of the paper so that *all* you can see on the list is whatever you're working on right then.  Don't think about or worry about what's coming next until you've finished what you're working on.  One thing at a time.  It'll be okay.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Thanks everyone. Things are settling a little easier at this point. The family that's coming on Thursday night (TONIGHT!!!) have offered to take over the grilling and everything. A family friend who is a very accomplished seamstress will be fixing the dress.

I had a cousin fly in early to help out an things are getting betters. And getting it all out there really made a difference!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards