Not Engaged Yet

Bathroom Ideas?

minskat30minskat30 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited August 2015 in Not Engaged Yet
Ok, this is going to be a post and run because I've got a meeting at 11-2 but just thought I would collect some ideas from all of you.  In summary, we have a 3 bedroom ranch and the main floor has 1 and 1/2 bathrooms.  The main bathroom is shared by and close to all the bedrooms (no way to make a master bathroom attached to the master) and is about 11 1/3 feet long and 7 1/3 feet wide.  The half bath is teeny tiny with just room for a toilet and a small vanity off the kitchen.  Downstairs we have renovated the basement and added a full bathroom with a large tiled shower (only, no bathtub), toilet and vanity so there is another full bathroom.

Ok, all that said, we are thinking of finally tackling our upstairs main bathroom.  The main dilemma is we want a large tub upstairs (I'm looking at 36 inch wide, 72 inch long) which will fit fine and we can *maybe* squeeze in a separate small shower but then we would only have room for one vanity (main bath now has a small tub, small shower and HUGE vanity that takes up pretty much the entire length of the wall).  The alternative is a large tub and double vanity but no shower.  A third alternative is a shower-tub combo with a double vanity but H and I both love the idea of a claw-foot tub which makes the third option "messy" to shower in.  

Long winded way to ask...

If a bathroom had a separate shower and a tub but one vanity and you were my hypothetical future buyer, would it drive future you nuts to have one vanity (keep in mind the half bath upstairs)?  It wouldn't drive us nuts since I get ready in the half bath while H is manscaping.  :)  But I don't want to make a bad choice for resale eventually.

If you had the choice between a stand-alone tub (like a claw-foot) vs a shower-tub combo, what would you prefer? 

Re: Bathroom Ideas?

• I loveeee the look of separate showers and tubs, and I really enjoy large tubs for relaxation purposes. H and I used to use his jacuzzi tub in a house he rented all the time. However! And this is big for me, I really really have to have my vanity space. Having a double sink in the master bath was a must have. I need room to spread out my shit, to have my own sink while H is using his, and basically to not feel crowded in. So for you, I'd personally rather have a large shower (and no tub at all) and a large vanity or large vanity and shower/tub combo.

• Thanks @labro - we have to do a tub (I love my baths and I want one for a future kiddo).  I'm going to count your vote as a shower/tub combo with double vanity.  :)  I love that picture too...the shower we have downstairs is about that size actually.  
  • Ah, running to meeting but will be back to post later this afternoon...
  • I love the idea of a separate tub and shower.  How much counter space would the single sink have? If it is a limited amount of counter space that would be a huge downside. The benefit of a dual vanity is that there is more counter space.  
  • I would say a double vanity should still be priority. I looooove tubs (especially claw foot tubs), but double vanity > tub/shower. FI and I have never had a double vanity, and it's at the top of our list for our future home. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • something about separate tub and shower makes it seem .... idk, easier?
    One house we were looking at was gorgeous! Stand up shower, separate tub, 2 sinks at vanity. Of course it sold quick ahaha!

It's not a huge deal, but separate tub/shower would make people want it more :)
  • edited August 2015

This is hard. I'd love a huge tub and a separate shower, but I'd really need my own sink and counter space in the bathroom.  I'd probably opt for the combo shower/tub so I could have the double vanity.

ETA: So I think and since the basement bathroom has a vanity could you consider making that H's or your bathroom, so you each have access to a sink and vanity at the same time but can still set up the main bathroom with a separate shower and tub? Just a though, H & I each have our own bathroom.  I hope that made sense.

Anniversary

• I love the idea of a separate tub and shower.  How much counter space would the single sink have? If it is a limited amount of counter space that would be a huge downside. The benefit of a dual vanity is that there is more counter space.  
    I would try to get a decent amount of counter space for the single sink...I agree, the benefit of a duel vanity is the counter space.
  • @eilies1228 - We honestly don't use a duel vanity whenever we had one...we don't get ready in the same bathroom now (I use the half bath for my makeup/hair).  That said, I know some couples do get ready together and kids (if a buyer had more than one) would usually get ready together I would think.

@peaseblossom and @TwoDimes - I hear you ladies, I think the consensus will be a tub/shower combo with a double vanity.  
  • something about separate tub and shower makes it seem .... idk, easier?
    One house we were looking at was gorgeous! Stand up shower, separate tub, 2 sinks at vanity. Of course it sold quick ahaha!

It's not a huge deal, but separate tub/shower would make people want it more :)
    Yeah, we have a seperate tub/shower now and it makes for a lot easier cleaning but the shower is so small we can barely move around in it.  
  • This is hard. I'd love a huge tub and a separate shower, but I'd really need my own sink and counter space in the bathroom.  I'd probably opt for the combo shower/tub so I could have the double vanity.

ETA: So I think and since the basement bathroom has a vanity could you consider making that H's or your bathroom, so you each have access to a sink and vanity at the same time but can still set up the main bathroom with a separate shower and tub? Just a though, H & I each have our own bathroom.  I hope that made sense.

I would be perfectly fine with each of us having our own bathroom but I worry that most home owners in our neighborhood have three kids and will want a double vanity on the main floor for the kids to get ready together (of course, one of them could use the half bath but that just makes for two rather messy bathrooms).  

Sigh, think I'm going to have to do the shower/tub combo....thanks ladies!
  • @minskat30, so we did a shower/tub combo, but to make the room more modern tiled the walls instead of using the standard shower walls.  The tub I got slightly curves out, which makes the tub about an inch or two wider. 
  • minskat30minskat30 member
    edited August 2015
    TwoDimes said:

minskat30 said:
    I love the idea of a separate tub and shower.  How much counter space would the single sink have? If it is a limited amount of counter space that would be a huge downside. The benefit of a dual vanity is that there is more counter space.  
    I would try to get a decent amount of counter space for the single sink...I agree, the benefit of a duel vanity is the counter space.

Duel vanities? Like the vanities are fighting one another?? ;)

• minskat30minskat30 member
    edited August 2015
    Good Lord, I can't even post a meme today in response @twodimes

• @minskat30, so we did a shower/tub combo, but to make the room more modern tiled the walls instead of using the standard shower walls.  The tub I got slightly curves out, which makes the tub about an inch or two wider. 
    Any pictures?  I would love inspiration.
  • cu97tiger said:
    I would definitely go with the shower/tub combo and the double vanity. While all of our opinions are nice, if you live in a neighborhood with a lot of families, you have to think like a parent would. Claw foot tubs are probably not the easiest to bathe kids in. I'm sure there are ideas out there of how to make that kind of combo look nice. While I don't think the double-vanity is a MUST for every home buyer, I do think that the amount of counter space is important.

ETA: I'd rather have one sink with a good amount of counter space than two sinks with only a little counter space because they are smushed together. I highly suggest NOT getting sinks that are above the counter. They look nice but they make cleaning the counters a PITA.
    Very good points, all.  I thought about the claw foot tub/bathing kid thing too and was worried about it.  Honestly, it probably makes our design easier to just stick with the tub/shower combo anyway.  
  • @speakeasy14 - Wow!  That is beautiful!
  • minskat30 said:
    cu97tiger said:
    I would definitely go with the shower/tub combo and the double vanity. While all of our opinions are nice, if you live in a neighborhood with a lot of families, you have to think like a parent would. Claw foot tubs are probably not the easiest to bathe kids in. I'm sure there are ideas out there of how to make that kind of combo look nice. While I don't think the double-vanity is a MUST for every home buyer, I do think that the amount of counter space is important.

ETA: I'd rather have one sink with a good amount of counter space than two sinks with only a little counter space because they are smushed together. I highly suggest NOT getting sinks that are above the counter. They look nice but they make cleaning the counters a PITA.
    Very good points, all.  I thought about the claw foot tub/bathing kid thing too and was worried about it.  Honestly, it probably makes our design easier to just stick with the tub/shower combo anyway.  

I was defiitely going to say the same thing. The sides on a clawfoot come up like 3 feet so you'd have to somehow stand to bathe the kid or sit on a chair and that seems really difficult compared to the standard kneeling on the floor. If you had a tub downstairs it might make up for it, but you don't. Agreed also with tiger that the counter space is what's important in a vanity, I'd rather have one sink with a huge counter instead of 2 sinks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards