Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Marriage Announcements?

I'm considering sending marriage announcements to friends and family I was unable to invite to my small-ish out of town wedding. Miss Manners says announcements should go in the mail the day after the wedding. Has anyone else done this? Do you recommend it?

Re: Marriage Announcements?

• Options
    We didn't do it but I agree that you should send them ASAP after the wedding. Have them ready to go so you can drop them in the mail the next morning.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I'm sending announcements also but wanted to send a picture of the ceremony with it. Obviously it won't be the next day since we won't have our pro pics so should we send the annoucements and then a picture later? Or just wait and send both together?
  • Options
    Announcements should be sent as close to the actual wedding as possible. Could you use a non-pro picture that is still a nice shot? That way you could get them out within the week. Sometimes pro photographers take well over a month to get you shots and I would do it sooner than that.

Vacation
  • Options
    A non-pro picture may actually work, I didn't think of using one. If none of them are good quality we will just send announcements immediately and a pro-pic later.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_marriage-announcements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:ecf10d23-4916-4890-ac4e-9ec5c64e1891Post:7ce95e69-fec9-4af0-86b6-8ead58d55730">Re: Marriage Announcements?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sending announcements also but wanted to send a picture of the ceremony with it. Obviously it won't be the next day since we won't have our pro pics so should we send the annoucements and then a picture later? Or just wait and send both together?
    Posted by AshJohnson30[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure about including a wedding photo - professional or not. It might come across like, "Look at the awesome wedding we had without you!" People who were invited and declined might not mind a photo, but people who weren't invited at all might be put off.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_marriage-announcements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:ecf10d23-4916-4890-ac4e-9ec5c64e1891Post:b860c76f-0566-4393-ab06-c40aa6df6947">Re: Marriage Announcements?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marriage Announcements? : I'm not so sure about including a wedding photo - professional or not. It might come across like, "Look at the awesome wedding we had without you!"<strong> People who were invited and declined might not mind a photo, but people who weren't invited at all might be put off.</strong>
    Posted by FlintstonePearl[/QUOTE]

I actually just checked Emily Post on wedding announcements when I read this thread, and she said that you should absolutely not send wedding announcements to people who were invited; they're only for those who did not get an invitation.

I do see your point with the picture and that is something to think about. No picture may be best.

Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_marriage-announcements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:ecf10d23-4916-4890-ac4e-9ec5c64e1891Post:b860c76f-0566-4393-ab06-c40aa6df6947">Re: Marriage Announcements?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marriage Announcements? : I'm not so sure about including a wedding photo - professional or not. It might come across like, "Look at the awesome wedding we had without you!" People who were invited and declined might not mind a photo, but people who weren't invited at all might be put off.
    Posted by FlintstonePearl[/QUOTE]

This is an interesting thought. We will think about it a little more. We want them to get something special so they know we care about them just couldn't invite them (no way we could have a 400person wedding!!)
  • Options
    I hear ya completely. I plan on breaking tradition in sending out an announcement with one of our wedding photos. I'm not sending them to locals that "could have" been invited...ONLY to family in Canada that could not make my wedding. We did NOT have engagement photos done professionaly, and personally, though the one's we have are OKAY....I'm tired of using them for annnouncements. Therefore, they will get a professional, nice photo. 
  • Options
    I would send a announcment of close to wedding as possiable and then a photo only if they ask for one.
  • Options
    I think with Facebook and social networking, marriage announcements are becoming obsolete.  People who aren't getting invited to my wedding are my friends on facebook and will see pictures on there.

Putting an announcement in the paper though is an entirely different story, although I hear it can be pricey.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards