Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Mystery gift with no card

So we got married this last weekend, and it was awesome and great. When we got around to opening gifts two days later, we discovered that one of them (a bagged gift) had no card, note, or any other identifying information. So what I'm trying to figure out: how do we go about politely inquiring from the subset of people who apparently did not give us gifts whether it might be from them? I don't want to give the impression that we're mad they're on the no gift list or anything, because honestly we don't care and we're just glad they came. But we do want to know, because we don't want to miss sending a thank you note to the person who *did* give it to us!

Basically, I can't think of any way to say "hey, we have a mystery present and you're on the suspect list bc you don't seem to have given us anything" that doesn't make us sound like total jerks. 

Re: Mystery gift with no card

• Options
    So we got married this last weekend, and it was awesome and great. When we got around to opening gifts two days later, we discovered that one of them (a bagged gift) had no card, note, or any other identifying information. So what I'm trying to figure out: how do we go about politely inquiring from the subset of people who apparently did not give us gifts whether it might be from them? I don't want to give the impression that we're mad they're on the no gift list or anything, because honestly we don't care and we're just glad they came. But we do want to know, because we don't want to miss sending a thank you note to the person who *did* give it to us!

Basically, I can't think of any way to say "hey, we have a mystery present and you're on the suspect list bc you don't seem to have given us anything" that doesn't make us sound like total jerks. 
    Mention to the loudmouths of each group of people that you have a mystery gift; i.e. your mother, his mother, your MOH, your crazy sorority sister, etc.  "Mom, we opened a mystery gift of dishclothes and spatulas.  No card or note was included so we don't know who gave it to us.  Did anyone maybe mention to you that they were getting us dishclothes and spatulas?  No?  Well, I'll be doing some research, but if you hear anything, let me know."  Also, if it was an item off your registry, the store may be able to help.
  • Options
    I'd wait for a little bit. Once, I forgot tape to tape the card to the gift, so after all the hustle and bustle, I made sure to say something to them because they did have a "mystery gift" that happened to be from us.
  • Options
    ah yes, the mystery gift. I have 1 too, but it's a very inexpensive gift from Walmart, so I'm not worried that the giver is looking for their card. I only got a few presents actually at my wedding, and I figured the ones with the card taped very securely on all 4 edges really wanted their thank you. Lol. Most items were registry, so no mystery there.
  • Options
    ah yes, the mystery gift. I have 1 too, but it's a very inexpensive gift from Walmart, so I'm not worried that the giver is looking for their card. I only got a few presents actually at my wedding, and I figured the ones with the card taped very securely on all 4 edges really wanted their thank you. Lol. Most items were registry, so no mystery there.
    That is an incredibly shitty outlook.  Why would you share that with others?

• Options
    you are kidding right?    

DH and I worked at the same place and a mystery gift was sent to work for us. 

It had a card with 4 first names and no last name.  To this day I do not recognized the combination of first names and I know it was not an actual guest to the wedding.

It was sent directly from a high-end designer, I called them and they looked into.  A day or so later they sent me an odd email say they could not help us.  

One of the first names is the name of the designer and I *think* he was a guests of ours at the resort.  Again I *think*, not sure quite sure since we see a ton of people.  Although  it might explain why the company could not give me more information. I still feel bad I could never send out a TY note.  

We got quite a few gifts from other guests, but were able to get out TY notes to them.  Most of them just to their room the very next day  (which scored some huge brownie points on how gracious we are).

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards