Attire & Accessories Forum

What to expect at my first dress fitting

My first dress fitting is this weekend and I'm not sure what to expect. Should I know what kind of bustle I want, or anything like that? I plan to bring my under garments and shoes, and my wedding isn't for another 2 months so I think there might be a couple other fittings after this appointment. 

Also do you usually pay for the alterations at the end of everything or after each appointment?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: What to expect at my first dress fitting

• No you don't need to know what kind of bustle you want.  Having some ideas would be helpful, but typically the seamstress will be able to recommend an option or two that would best suit your dress.

Definitely bring your planned under garments and shoes so that the fit and hem can be correctly pinned.

For me I wrote a check at the completion of my first fitting.  But I only needed work done once, the second fitting was mainly to make sure everything was good to go which it was.  But again this is something that your seamstress will tell you.

• Ditto what Maggie said.  My seamstress recommended 2 bustles that suited the dress, and showed me what each would look like, and then I picked the one I liked best.

As for the payment, it really depends on your shop.  Mine required 60% after the first fitting, then the rest was due before I could pick up the dress.  I opted to pay for the balance at the 2nd fitting, that way all I had to do right before the wedding was pick it up after they steamed it.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Usually the first fitting is the MAJOR work--eg taking in the dress or letting it out, changing key things like the neckline, and doing hemming. 

For mine, they did these three things, and the bustle since only 1 bustle option looked good with my dress. The 2nd fitting refines the sizing--during mine the took in the hip area a little more, and expanded the keyhole back because I have broad shoulders. During 3rd fitting they refine it more if needed--for me they confirmed it was the right size, and added fabric under the shoulders (the beading is digging into me), and cut out the extra fabric from taking it in once we confirmed the sizing was correct. My 4th fitting is just to confirm it's perfect and take it home. You may not need that many fittings though!  

And make sure you have your exact undergarments and shoes. If your dress doesn't come with a built in bra they can usually sew one in, so keep that in mine as an option. But spanx (if you're wearing them) and heels you need to already have so they can hem it right. 
  • I just had my fitting last night and it was very straight forward.
    I took in my shoes and undergarments. Though once the dress was on, the seamstress suggested that we just sew in cups rather then wearing the strapless bra I had brought in.
    And for the bustle there were only two options that worked for my dress, so she showed me both and then let me pick which one I preferred.

I had to pay for the full cost of the alterations that night. And I will be going back 10 days before my wedding to pick up the dress, and have a final fitting to make sure the alterations are good.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards