Destination Weddings Discussions

New to the board - full of questions, especially regarding Charleston, SC!

Hello!  I am newly engaged and hoping to plan a destination wedding.  We live in Ohio and would like to pick a driveable destination along the East Coast but other than that I don't know where to start!  I have looked at some places near Charleston, SC and the choices are overwhelming me!  Anyone have some knowledge and wisdom they can pass down to me?!  I will have a small group that goes with me and I think maybe a hotel that does everything right there on sight would be easiest but that's only because I don't know how else to go about it.  Are wedding planners worth it?  TIA!!!!

Re: New to the board - full of questions, especially regarding Charleston, SC!

• You may have better luck with responses on the local Charleston board. Would you like for me to move this post for you?

• No thank you...I am not set on Charleston...just wondered how everyone picked their spot and how to even get started.  I'm a little lost in all of the planning! 
  • edited August 2015
    No thank you...I am not set on Charleston...just wondered how everyone picked their spot and how to even get started.  I'm a little lost in all of the planning! 
    She was asking if you'd like this post moved to the local Charleston board, not if you wanted to move your wedding.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH I can't read. I somehow missed "not". Nevermind. Carry on.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm not sure OP knows where she wants to marry, but was considering Charleston.

People choose their wedding destinations for a large variety of reasons. Most of them are personal, meaning the place is special to them in some way. I chose my destination (an island in Australia) because we were seeking to hold our wedding in the most private setting imaginable.

I would start looking at a map, seeing what is in driving distance for you, Google the cities, and narrow it down to a few. Then, ask your VIP guests who are going with you if those locations would work for them. Then, you can come back on here to post on the local boards asking planning questions (legal requirements, venues, general costs) and also look at tripadvisor for reviews on the areas.

• If you don't have a specific spot in mind, why are you having a destination wedding?  It is more trouble for guests to attend.  Just curious.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Charleston is a beautiful city, but I think if you're planning a wedding in a city you're unfamiliar with and don't live close to, it'll be extremely challenging without a local wedding planner who can help direct you to various vendors, assist with meetings, etc.

Why do you want to have a destination wedding? It seems like most of the time people have a location already in mind.

• I have to echo PP question.  Why do you want a destination wedding when you have no idea where that destination will be.  Typically couples already have a location in mind when they decide to have a DW or at least an overall feel they want such as tropical, mountains, etc.  So are you wanting a DW because it sounds oh so romantic and nifty or do you actually have an idea in mind?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards