Wedding Reception Forum

Torn between two venues

Hi all. You all offer some great advice and I need some of that now. I need help deciding between two venues. My Fi says whichever I want is fine with him. This will be for a 2016 winter wedding in the mountains.

Venue A:
Ceremony and reception held in ballroom at main lodge (no gap). After the ceremony, guests will have cocktail hour in an adjoining room until the ceremony chairs are taken away and the reception tables and dancefloor are set up. After which, the doors will open and guests will walk through to the reception. The ballroom is very simple and will need some major decor. They usually use it for trade shows and whatnot. There are small windows throughout the room so you can see the ski slopes.

Sentimental -- this venue is very sentimental because we met there.

Activities -- it truly is a resort and there are a lot of activities for guests, such as skiing, showshoeing, snowboarding, tubing, heated outdoor pool.

Convenient once guests are there -- once the guests arrive, everything is in one place, if they choose to stay at the resort. If not, they have other hotels only minutes away to choose from. If they want to party (we're inviting a lot of 20-somethings), there are nightclubs and bars all along the strip and the hotel offers free shuttle service to and from these places.

Price -- this is a much cheaper venue, partly because of how simple the venue is and also because it's more inconvenient to get there. Which leads to a major con...

LESS convenient to get there -- we have a lot of out-of-town guests and there is a regional airport in the same town as the venue. The problem is, these are very small 6-passenger propeller planes, so I can see people being freaked out about that and deciding against this particular airport, especially given that it will be snowing this time of year. The closest major airport is a little over 2 hours away and when I say 2 hours, I mean that an hour of drive time will be on country roads. I worry about this for guests who aren't used to driving in snow.

Venue B:
BEAUTIFUL AND MORE ACCESSIBLE.
The ceremony will be held at the base of the mountain in a beautiful room in the lodge. Immediately after the ceremony (no gap), guests will board gondolas (tickets pre-paid by bride and groom as venue is only accessible by gondola) and head up to the top of the mountain for a mountaintop reception.

More convenient to get there -- closest major airport is only an hour away and it's all interstate driving. This is a big consideration because we know this will be more convenient for our guests, but there are a list of cons...

More expensive -- obviously, this option is much more expensive than Venue A. We can afford it, but who wants to spend money they don't have to spend?

Resort is spread out -- there isn't one base resort hotel. It's actually a string of hotels all up and down this strip, so family and friends will be split up most likely.

Activities specific to hotel they choose -- some of the hotels have some of the things mentioned for Venue A, but some are inns and beds and breakfasts, so they wouldn't have all those amenities.

I could get past the beauty of Venue B and choose A to save money, except for the fact that B really is much more convenient for our guests to get there. We thought about using the money we would save by going with A on a shuttle service to get them to the venue, but it comes out to actually be much more expensive than B if we offered that. So now we're stuck. What would you do?

Re: Torn between two venues

• Could you reserve a block of rooms in a few of the hotels at venue B so that guests would be clustered near one another? If you could do that, I would go with venue B. The convenience of travel during that time of year would trump the cost since you said you have the money to cover the cost. That of course is assuming it is important to you to have the people come to your wedding. I guess that is what you need to decide also. What is more important - the venue or making sure the people you invite can come to the wedding safely?
  • I would choose B since it seems to provide more convenience. I wouldn't be interest in any "activities" available one way or another, nor do I care if I'm near anyone else as far as my hotel room.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I agree with PPs I would go with option B. But to me, who I have at my wedding trumps where it is for me. Only you can decide which is more important, venue or who is there. Then your choice is obvious. 
  • edited August 2015
    Well, my favorite venue is the one that's most convenient for guest arrival @justsie so it's not an either/or in that regard. It's the cost that gets me and having everyone so spread out making it difficult for guests without cars to get around.

That's what I was saying. B is more convenient to get there but not as convenient once they're there. A is the opposite.

Thanks for the responses guys. Im reading them to my Fi.
  • Option B. If activities and getting around are important to me as a guest, I will rent a car, take a cab, or book a hotel with lots of activities. I'm already renting a car since it's an hour from the airport anyway.
  • Venue B. Your guests' convenience and needs should take priority in your planning.
  • My Fi wants me to ask if anyone would change their opinion if you knew that venue A is 20 minutes from where we and our local guests live so it will be over an hour's drive for our local guests if we go with venue B? Sorry for not mentioning it before. I was focused on our out of towners.
  • Well, my favorite venue is the one that's most convenient for guest arrival @justsie so it's not an either/or in that regard. It's the cost that gets me and having everyone so spread out making it difficult for guests without cars to get around. That's what I was saying. B is more convenient to get there but not as convenient once they're there. A is the opposite. Thanks for the responses guys. Im reading them to my Fi.
    Is this a destination wedding for everyone?  Is everyone going to be spending a week there?  Or are they probably just spending a long weekend?

Also, who won't have cars?  You just said the nearer of the two is still an hour by car to the airport.  Is there actually a cab service that people are going to be willing to pay for to take them there?  And even so, then that's their choice to make once they make their travel arrangements, not your problem to worry about.

What is your problem is what is going to be most convenient for your guests.  Truthfully, I hate flying as it is - there's no way you're getting me on a six seater plane in the mountains.  And while I'm fine on country roads and driving in the snow, doing it in unfamiliar territory isn't something that really appeals to me.  There's a good chance I would just RSVP no once finding out that's what travel entails.

People go to weddings all the time and don't stay at the same hotel as all of their family or friends.  Usually, most people planning weddings will reserve blocks at two or three hotels at a few different price points to give people options.  And it's not like the hotels are 20 miles apart - it's not that big of a deal, trust me.  Also, these are grown-ups - if they are interested in activities, they know how to seek them out on their own.  They don't need you to be their babysitter and line up activities for them.  It's really not that different than any other vacation - adults will know how to handle it. 
  • My Fi wants me to ask if anyone would change their opinion if you knew that venue A is 20 minutes from where we and our local guests live so it will be over an hour's drive for our local guests if we go with venue B? Sorry for not mentioning it before. I was focused on our out of towners.
    I still think driving an hour to a wedding would be easier for the local guests than the OOT guests flying in a 6 seater plane. I don't think driving a hour for a wedding is unreasonable at all. I still vote venue B.
  • Hi all. You all offer some great advice and I need some of that now. I need help deciding between two venues. My Fi says whichever I want is fine with him. This will be for a 2016 winter wedding in the mountains.

Venue A:
    Ceremony and reception held in ballroom at main lodge (no gap). After the ceremony, guests will have cocktail hour in an adjoining room until the ceremony chairs are taken away and the reception tables and dancefloor are set up. After which, the doors will open and guests will walk through to the reception. The ballroom is very simple and will need some major decor. They usually use it for trade shows and whatnot. There are small windows throughout the room so you can see the ski slopes.

Sentimental -- this venue is very sentimental because we met there.

Activities -- it truly is a resort and there are a lot of activities for guests, such as skiing, showshoeing, snowboarding, tubing, heated outdoor pool.

Convenient once guests are there -- once the guests arrive, everything is in one place, if they choose to stay at the resort. If not, they have other hotels only minutes away to choose from. If they want to party (we're inviting a lot of 20-somethings), there are nightclubs and bars all along the strip and the hotel offers free shuttle service to and from these places.

Price -- this is a much cheaper venue, partly because of how simple the venue is and also because it's more inconvenient to get there. Which leads to a major con...

LESS convenient to get there -- we have a lot of out-of-town guests and there is a regional airport in the same town as the venue. The problem is, these are very small 6-passenger propeller planes, so I can see people being freaked out about that and deciding against this particular airport, especially given that it will be snowing this time of year. The closest major airport is a little over 2 hours away and when I say 2 hours, I mean that an hour of drive time will be on country roads. I worry about this for guests who aren't used to driving in snow.

Venue B:
    BEAUTIFUL AND MORE ACCESSIBLE.
    The ceremony will be held at the base of the mountain in a beautiful room in the lodge. Immediately after the ceremony (no gap), guests will board gondolas (tickets pre-paid by bride and groom as venue is only accessible by gondola) and head up to the top of the mountain for a mountaintop reception.

More convenient to get there -- closest major airport is only an hour away and it's all interstate driving. This is a big consideration because we know this will be more convenient for our guests, but there are a list of cons...

More expensive -- obviously, this option is much more expensive than Venue A. We can afford it, but who wants to spend money they don't have to spend?

Resort is spread out -- there isn't one base resort hotel. It's actually a string of hotels all up and down this strip, so family and friends will be split up most likely.

Activities specific to hotel they choose -- some of the hotels have some of the things mentioned for Venue A, but some are inns and beds and breakfasts, so they wouldn't have all those amenities.

I could get past the beauty of Venue B and choose A to save money, except for the fact that B really is much more convenient for our guests to get there. We thought about using the money we would save by going with A on a shuttle service to get them to the venue, but it comes out to actually be much more expensive than B if we offered that. So now we're stuck. What would you do?

JIC
  • edited August 2015
    Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions:

This is not a destination wedding. It's just that we have friends scattered all over the country but the wedding will be in our home state.

There are shuttles and buses from the airport that go to both locations if the choose not to drive. I just know that people like my uncle will choose to drive instead of ride a shuttle.

As for the activites, i wasnt olanning it for them. Im just thinking people staying at some of the inns may be bored and some dont even have a restaraunt on site so they'll need a car if they stay there. That's all.

I'm leaning toward B.
  • JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    Just out of curiosity how big of a guest list do you have? Option A sounds lovely, but only if you want a few people showing up. If you want a larger wedding, I'd definitely choose option B. 

Either way, it sounds like your wedding will double as an annual vacation for a portion of your guest list, if you anticipate that many to come by plane and stay at a resort - something to keep in mind in either case.

Edited for words
  • Hmmmm. I like option A for the sentimental reason that you met your FI there.

But option B sounds like the winner!! More convenient for guests, and actually less expensive than A if you factor in the shuttle service.

I vote B.

BTW your wedding sounds gorgeous!!

• We have 100 people on the guest list. No matter where we had it, some people would have to fly because we have loved ones all over the country.
  • Talk to your VIPS about what they would be more comfortable at. Don't mention the pricing to them, just ask the, we can book venue A which as all this activities and once you get there you won't need to travel, but getting there might be challenging & explain why. Then tell them the pro & con of venue b.

Also make sure to tell them what their costs would be for staying at each venue.

One last thing, take into consideration, which venue will be less stressful for you. Will you have time to add more decorations yourself (figure out how you will get them there too) or the budget to hire someone to do that at venue A? But then with venue B, you have to plan for transportation from hotel to cermony location and where everyone will get ready.

• I think you need to think more about if the activities are really going to get used at all in Venue A. 

You local guests essentially live right there for both venues--they'll be attending the wedding then going home, or maybe staying the one night and leaving in the morning. No one will be going for an extended time to do activities. 

Your OOT guests will be arriving likely Friday night or Saturday daytime for a Saturday evening wedding. If they arrive Friday night they will likely eat dinner and hang out with each other and go to bed--no activities. Saturday they'll have a few hours before the wedding, but are they really going to want to go do something like skiing or snow boarding? And then everyone will leave on Sunday morning or afternoon at the latest; still not much time for activities.

I've been to a lot of out of town weddings, in a lot of cool locations. I've never had much time to do anything fun and local that wasn't directly related to the wedding itself. 
  • MandyMost said:
    I think you need to think more about if the activities are really going to get used at all in Venue A. 

This is going to depend on your crowd. I would bet that a lot of people who are into winter sports flying in for a ski resort wedding will find the time to do some skiing or snowboarding. Skiing doesn't an all-day event, especially if the venue is slopeside. Also, I can see the bars and nightclubs getting some use if the reception ends relatively early, given there are a lot of 20-somethings coming.

I have a similar dilemma with transportation to the venue and am hiring a shuttle to transport my guests.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015

I'm going to go with A for this reason - not everyone is a fan of riding up Gondolas, that's going to take a lot of time away from you being able to socialize with your wedding guests and inconvenience many of your vendors.  Venue A is also cheaper for you.  The Gondola requirement may also add costs in other ways with your vendors who need to deliver because it's not "pull up to the door and unload"...  Once there, everything's right in one spot with hotels within a reasonable distance and I'm assuming budget if they're not comfortable with the resort's prices.  And most of all, Venue A offers the sentimental aspect. 

ETA: We were married at a ski resort in the main chalet.  I'm guessing you're out in CO since that sounds like typical ski venues out there.  IMO, you really don't need to bring a lot to the venue with A - just let the room speak for itself.  With B you're going to make a lot of things a bigger challenge because of the gondola ride during a time that you don't have a lot of for setting up which sounds like a ton of fun since you'd be doing so with the skiers also using it during those times.  Ultimately you have to decide which you'd like to do.  Being closer to where you live is also a plus because there's so much last minute running that goes on, it's easier to run over 20 minutes to grab something you forgot than it is if you forgot something an hour away.  Guests will figure it out regardless of which venue you choose, but putting guests at the mercy of the Gondola has potential to be a huge PITA...

• I'd be looking for another venue, one that is accessible with a regular plane, that doesn't involve hazardous transfers of people who are dressed up and not wearing snow boots. Given the options you've posted, I'd decline the invitation altogether and send you a nice card.
  • The OP said that she lives in this town that is this far from the airport. So even if she had her wedding at a church in her hometown, guests would have to travel from the airport.

As someone else who is having a winter wedding at a place far from the airport, I disagree with the opinion posted above to find some place else. As long as one's VIPs will be in attendance, they should have their wedding where they want (in this case, I'd choose A probably based on the reasons I already posted). It's more convenient for the local guests, it's cheaper, and there's more to do. Everyone else can decide for themselves whether or not they want to attend.
  • As a guest I would have no problem with either. The vast majority of places are not within a 20 minute drive of a major airport. So, if I am flying to a wedding, I expect to have a connecting flight to a regional airport or that I will need to rent a car and drive myself there. In the 20 weddings I have attended in the last 5 years, I don't think any were less than an hour drive from the airport.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards