Asian Weddings

Vietnamese Groom/American Bride Ceremony

This is my first time posting anything on the Knot, but I simply don't know where else to look. My fiance is a Vietnamese male from a very large family, and as I am a Caucasian female with a smaller family, I wanted to try and combine the cultures, albeit tastefully, to pay respect to both sides as well as ensuring that we are both happy with our big day. The problem I have is that I want to have a tea ceremony at our house in Austin, TX (my mother's house would not be an option) but I want to include some kind of officiant to make it official on-site rather than getting our marriage license beforehand. We would then have a reception at another location to include the rest of our friends and co-workers. I have watched videos on tea ceremonies and have asked his family members about their experiences within the ceremonies, but as I do not have a religion, I do not want to offend anyone by participating in any rituals that may be construed as being firmly Buddhist in nature, and thus inappropriate for me to participate in (praying to our ancestors comes to mind). His family seems unsure on how to help me, as I will be the first Caucasian to join their wonderful family, and while they are accustomed to their ways, they aren't sure what would be appropriate for us. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if anyone had any ideas on how I could incorporate the traditions of the tea ceremony/Vietnamese culture with a more relaxed ceremony on scene with some of the traditions typically associated with American weddings. Thank you in advance!

Re: Vietnamese Groom/American Bride Ceremony

• I am curious what you had decided on as oddly enough we are in the exact same situation.
  • As in you both live together now?  Well... Tea ceremony inside, pictures, then Western ceremony in the backyard?  Typically, in VN, tea ceremony at bride's parents, then bride is brought home to groom's family for a small ceremony, then a reception. Here maybe the inside is the bride's family space, outside is the groom's.

Sorry. Hope I got your question right.  Best to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards