Attire & Accessories Forum

Need help! Low back dress and looking for shapewear!

Hi everyone!

My dress just came in and now I am frantically looking for some shapewear I can wear with it. I'm looking for tummy control and smoothing effects.

My dress is a Maggie Sottero and it is the Verina dress. (Attached pic)

As you can see, the dress has a low illusion back, so I'm trying to figure out how any sort of shapewear would work...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need help! Low back dress and looking for shapewear!

• Hello! Lovely dress! I bought an Ultimo ultra low back strapless bustier and high waist support shirts (sexy!) for my backless halter neck dress. Not sure if Ultimo is available in the states but you'd probably be able to get the range online. I might choose something less, er, functional for the wedding night!
  • With that low of a back, you probably need something backless like this. You probably wont be able to find something super compressing but should help! You can adjust the straps or go strapless on this one.

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/fashion-forms-u-plunge-backless-strapless-bodysuit?ID=981717&CategoryID=1000089#fn=spp=19&ppp=96&sp=1&rid=&spc=150&pn=1&ppp=96&sp=1&rid=&spc=150&pn=1
  • Hi, that's actually my dress too. Have you had a fitting yet? 

I've had two so far and I wanted shapewear too, but have since discovered (after having it on in my actual size and not clipped in) that there's pretty much no shapewear that will do it's job and come down that low. The back is just an inch or so above buttcrack level.

However if it fits ok and isn't too tight, the front has a corset-like (I say like because it doesn't cinch) structure that kinda smooths out everything anyway. 

I would give it a try without anything, I was desperately searching for something, couldn't find anything that worked, and then discovered it wasn't needed after all. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • AlisonM23 said:

With that low of a back, you probably need something backless like this. You probably wont be able to find something super compressing but should help! You can adjust the straps or go strapless on this one.

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/fashion-forms-u-plunge-backless-strapless-bodysuit?ID=981717&CategoryID=1000089#fn=spp=19&ppp=96&sp=1&rid=&spc=150&pn=1&ppp=96&sp=1&rid=&spc=150&pn=1

I was actually looking into that one. I was worried about the fact that I would wear it strapless and that it wouldn't give much support to my chest, but since the dress has structure in it, it might actually work!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @porkchops926 yay! Another Maggie bride :smile: I haven't had any fittings yet, my first one comes up in October. The top is a bit loose on me and the lace in the back does not lay appropriately, they were also thinking of taking in my waist area a bit more.

I was nervous because I have become self-concious of my tummy, but like you said, I'll have to see how the dress fits once it gets altered, maybe I won't need one.

I was looking into the fashion forms backless bodysuit and the Maidenform flexees 1256 (this one might still come up too high).

The biggest issue I have with shapewear is finding my cup size...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @cmsalinas89 I totally know what you mean. I was convinced I HAD to have shapewear because I'm self conscious too, and I guess from when I tried it on back in December I forgot the details about how the dress was made. 

Like I mentioned, it has a bit of structure in the front, almost boning under the bust and upper torso, and there's seriously like 7 layers on it. I stood there for 30 minutes just to have them cut each layer to hem the front. So all those layers kinda naturally hide any random bumps and bulges. The structure in the front, however, because it doesn't connect in the back, doesn't support your bust. It's just there to provide overall smooth shape. In this case, and what I'm looking into, is breast tape or lifts, because none of those stick on bras work for me. AT ALL. 

Give shapewear a try if you want, but I think even the one that was mentioned in this post comes up too high on the sides. I was so tempted to get something and in the end am glad I didn't because it would have been a waste, seeing as I don't think anything will come low enough in back. 

Good luck! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Just wanted to chime in that I'm fairly large in the chest (36DD) and I cannot wear a bra with my dress.  The dress has some boning and structure in the front, along with a wider "bra" type band that wraps around under where the back dips. I also had the seamstress add in bra cups.  Once she did that I felt plenty supported (this is the dress to give you an idea: http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?style=5SS030)
    Married 9.12.15
  • @julieanne912 I'm thinking of asking them to add in bra cups. My dress doesn't have the elastic band in the back, but I wonder if they could put it in...I think the back on your dress is slightly higher than the Verina...but I'm sure it's doable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards