Chit Chat
Options

Can we have a do-over?

edited August 2015 in Chit Chat
Hi,

I'm lildropofsunshine. I'm new to wedding planning since I've never even been in a wedding before, I've just attended [lots] of them.

I know most of you think I'm obnoxious, immature, and a whole bunch of other negative things, and let me apologize for us getting off on the wrong foot. Now I know it's no excuse, but I have had an insane amount of personal things going on that have played a role in every aspect of my life, and in reality, I couldn't handle life period.

I'm hoping we can start over, and if you can't do that with me, fine, but I'd really like to try.

Re: Can we have a do-over?

• Options
    Hi,

I'm lildropofsunshine. I'm new to wedding planning since I've never even been in a wedding before, I've just attended [lots] of them.

I know most of you think I'm obnoxious, immature, and a whole bunch of other negative things, and let me apologize for us getting off on the wrong foot. Now I know it's no excuse, but I have had an insane amount of personal things going on that have played a role in every aspect of my life, and in reality, I couldn't handle life period.

I'm hoping we can start over, and if you can't do that with me, fine, but I'd really like to try.
    There's no need to make a post about "starting over".  I didn't have a great start here either.  I got a warning in my first day of posting actually.  The way to "start over" is to just participate in discussions, offer some advice (as long as it's not encouraging bad etiquette) and just interact like a normal adult.  There are some posters that will never forget your bad start, but whatever, nothing you can do about that.  

Another good way to enjoy the boards is to just read for awhile... don't post, just read and understand how certain posters post, and what the general attitude is here.  

Good luck! 

This.  And if someone calls you out for giving bad advice, be willing to admit you may have been wrong.  And not in a snarky manner either. 
  • Options
    I've forgiven people for worse, so sure.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieCake said:

Thank you. At least there's one person.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015

I live by those words.    Especially on a message board.     We are not mean for disagreeing or thinking an idea is dumb.   Your [general your] life is pretty sheltered if you never hear an opposing view on what you think might be a good idea.

AddieCake said:
    yep!

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm penciled in at a venue (my mom has to check it out for me because I'm 3 hours away so I can't, and she's a mere 20 minute drive from it)...but if she gives it the thumbs up, we're putting the deposit down and it's mine. I'm also on my church's calendar. I haven't talked to the DJ yet, and I don't have a photographer because my friend who was going to do it got a job out in California so she no longer can...but things are definitely moving along.

You may not believe a word of what I just said, but it's all 100% true.
  • Options
    Now I'm curious what @julieanne912 did!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    luckya23 said:
    I must be one of the ones with a short memory because I only vaguely remember her annoying some people with her early opinions (was it cash bar? Honeyfunds?). But she stuck around and all's well now. I just fell down the rabbit hole of OP's recent posts, and here's my advice: Don' take things personally! If you stick around, you'll see that the regs are really looking out for your best interests.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Do over starting.....now.

Agreed that some opinions have already been made, but you just have to roll with it.

Just keep posting, and be accepting of the advice people give you (they seriously are trying to help, and have influenced a ton of my decisions when I was just lurking). Blunt and direct advice is usually the best kind of advice there is.

• Options
    luckya23 said:
    I must be one of the ones with a short memory because I only vaguely remember her annoying some people with her early opinions (was it cash bar? Honeyfunds?). But she stuck around and all's well now. I just fell down the rabbit hole of OP's recent posts, and here's my advice: Don' take things personally! If you stick around, you'll see that the regs are really looking out for your best interests.
    BTW I've never thought cash bars or honeyfunds were a good idea LOL!
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    I seriously thought  this thread was about you wanting a ppd. 
    As for wanting to start over,  it's not that serious. This is a  forum and it should be fun and a learning experience. The knottie regs are helpful and  really  nudge you to think about other people during  planning. Vendors and wedding guests  are  included in your wedding too. It's not all about  the bride and groom.
  • Options
    As long as your purpose for asking questions here is to get honest feedback--- NOT to get validation-- then you'll be fine. 

I got hammered as a newbie for starting one of those "don't be mean!" threads because  I felt like another poster was being picked on. When it didn't go over well and I realized that wasn't a cool thing to post here, I deleted it (and quickly learned what DD means and that it's a shitty thing to do). I had a lot to learn. Basically, I should have lurked more. But when I got called out for fucking up, I didn't get defensive. I admitted I didn't know those things were fuck-ups, now I know, won't happen again. 

Since then I've seen a MILLION of those "don't be mean" posts and they annoy the hell out of me. See how things change? Just lurk. Get to know the tone/style of the boards, jump in on some threads. It'll be fine. 
  • Options
    luckya23 said:
    BTW I've never thought cash bars or honeyfunds were a good idea LOL!
    Hey, like I said, I'm not one of the ones with a long memory :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's not really some kind of official thing. Just stop posting defensive nonsense and arguing with everyone when you post/ask for advice and they give it. That should pretty much do it. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Never print what you wouldn't say directly to someone.  Too many people hide behind the anonymity of the keyboard. 
  • Options
    It would be very helpful to lurk first. I think most people make the mistake of jumping into a thread without lurking first to see the dynamic. Not only will it help you be familiar with TK but it will help you familiarize yourself with the different wedding boards and the posters there.  
  • Options
    I was a lurker long before I even registered. But hey, every board has its own culture and I respect that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards