Chit Chat

Terrific Tuesday

It is 60 degrees in Southeast Tennessee (which is rare for this time of year) with low humidity and the clearest blue skies! My wedding is in 26 days. FI found out last night that his baby grand piano sold. It's been for sale for months!

What is going right in your world today?

Re: Terrific Tuesday

• It's cold here too! 57 when I woke up this morning and the high today is only 70. That's weird. 

I'm bored at work so I just read all about a thing called the Sato Project and now I'm obsessed with adopting a dog from there. If you've never heard of it, here's a cool story about what they do. Fair warning, though, you might cry (I definitely shouldn't have read it in my office. I had to tell my boss that I'd just poked myself in the eye). 

We're closing on a house this Friday (yay!) so after work I'll probably be doing more packing. I hate packing. You never realize how much crap you really have till you have to put it all into boxes. 
  • I'm just sitting around enjoying my last few days of summer break.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It's cold here too! 57 when I woke up this morning and the high today is only 70. That's weird. 

I'm bored at work so I just read all about a thing called the Sato Project and now I'm obsessed with adopting a dog from there. If you've never heard of it, here's a cool story about what they do. Fair warning, though, you might cry (I definitely shouldn't have read it in my office. I had to tell my boss that I'd just poked myself in the eye). 

We're closing on a house this Friday (yay!) so after work I'll probably be doing more packing. I hate packing. You never realize how much crap you really have till you have to put it all into boxes. 
    Yep, crying now. This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing!! Rescue dogs are the best dogs :) My baby was rescued in a huge puppy mill bust and she is the most loving dog. It's like they know you saved them from something horrible.

Yay for closing on a house!! But yes, packing is the WORST. FI and I just bought a house a couple months ago. Packing up all the crap was torture!

• I love packing. I'd move annually if I could. I love to go through all our shit and throw it all away. Packing is like taking inventory of all your bullshit. I love it.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I love packing. I'd move annually if I could. I love to go through all our shit and throw it all away. Packing is like taking inventory of all your bullshit. I love it.
    That part has actually been fun. I can't believe how many trips we've made to drop off a trunk full of stuff at Goodwill and we STILL seem to have an endless amount of nonsense. Yesterday I packed up the cabinet in our bathroom-- 5 different half-empty bottles of dog shampoo. Why?! So much stuff went into the garbage and it felt great. 
  • I'm going swimming with my niece/nephew this morning.  He's in lessons, so me and her will play for that 30 min, and then my Brother/nephew will join us.  There's a water slide too!!

• I'm in the middle of a huge deadline that's due at the end of the day and involves a great deal of cat herding.

And H & I did not sleep well last night - or have dinner - because our dog decided she wanted to try to kill a skunk (she didn't - don't worry!). Which meant a trip to Petco for de-skunking shampoo and two hours of bathing her repeatedly in the backyard in the dark.

• We're 18 days out.  FI has been working hard on tracking down all the non-RSVPers, which were mostly from his side.  My side is done.  We invited 198, and it's looking like we'll be lucky to hit 140.

I hate to say it, but I am relieved.  We made the mistake of booking the venue before doing the guest list, and the max at the venue was 200.  NEWBIES DON'T DO THAT.  I was stressed for months that everyone was going to come and it would be super cramped and no room to do fun things and it would be too hot, etc etc etc.

So now that it's looking like it'll be 140 or less, we get to do a fun DIY photobooth, and we'll have a bigger dance floor.  We'll also get a refund on the catering because we are fully paid for 150.  If for some reason they don't refund us (can't remember what the contract says), I'll get to add extra apps, so yay there too.  Flowers will cost less too since it's less centerpieces.

Side note, I'm a little sad for FI.  His side of the list was larger than mine, but he's had a lot more declines... even people that he was certain would come and close family members that don't want to make the 5 hour drive.  He seemed a bit disappointed last night :(    
    Married 9.12.15
  • @novella1186 Same here! I threw out so many half lotions that were Christmas presents from like 5 years ago. I just gave my friend 2 bags full of clothes and shoes. I had to really look at myself and say ok, yes, this pair of heels technically fits but I only wore these ones once a year in the last 4 years....so really it's not worth cluttering up my life for something to be worn once a year! So much purging! 

I'm housiversary twins with novella- closing on our house Friday wooooooooo! It's been the longest fucking summer living at my in-laws duplex- them in the other half. I can't do anything outside without her running out there to talk to me. Like lady, I'm taking out the trash, I'm not wearing a bra, leave me the hell alone!

We have to move everything in and put away quickly because my parents are flying up to stay with us 6 days later.

• it's cold here too About 7C (44ish F i think, I dont know, I'm Canadian ha ha)

Nothing too crazy going on here, FI has 2 flights today so he won't be around until after supper. I think we were going to do a 'dry run' of packing for vacation. Since we need to bring clothes for the week before the wedding, then we need to make sure we have proper carry on size bags to re pack our stuff into for honeymoon, but then we also need a bag for the stuff we are leaving behind.

So yes, dry run of packing.

julieanne912 We invited 200, and our last RSVP arrived the other day and we are sitting at 144. As much as I would have loved for everyone to come, I am so excited to be under 150. Our venues max is 200 as well (and yes we included vendors in that total) and it just really bothered me to be at the max. I get anxiety over not having 'wiggle room' etc. 

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    - My birthday gift from FI arrived early, and he got me the dslr camera I've been eyeing but couldn't afford. Technically, I opened this Sunday.  But today I signed up for an online photography course since I rarely know how to point and shoot.  I'm kinda excited for that!

- FI's 2nd gift arrived yesterday, from the irish store, so now I have to wait till tonight when he gets home to open that one

- I also signed up for Zumba on Tuesday nights with a friend.  It's way better going to class with someone who can laugh with me.  Because there's a lot to laugh about.

- I cut and colored my own hair (first time trimming it ever on my own) this morning and it looks GREAT.  Exactly the color I wanted.  Sorry to all the hair stylists out there, I might be trimming my own ends from now on.....although I splattered hair dye everywhere in my bathroom.  That part isn't terrific.

- the day is almost half over!

eta for grammar

• I'm in the middle of a huge deadline that's due at the end of the day and involves a great deal of cat herding.

And H & I did not sleep well last night - or have dinner - because our dog decided she wanted to try to kill a skunk (she didn't - don't worry!). Which meant a trip to Petco for de-skunking shampoo and two hours of bathing her repeatedly in the backyard in the dark.

This was us 3 weeks ago.  Friday night at 9:30, so there was no place to go and buy the de-skunker!  This solution worked really well!  1 quart of peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and a tablespoon of dish soap.  And since our pup was sprayed in the face, her breath was all skunk too.  We fed her a plate full of tomato sauce and it actually took away the smell!  About a week later, she needed to be washed again, I think the skunk oils started coming out again.  Also, bowls of white vinegar will draw any smells inside of your house out and eliminate them.  But she hasn't been bathed since the 15th and she smells fine now, so I'm hoping no more baths!  She hates them and likes to fight the entire time.  It's a constant 70 lbs struggle to keep her in the tub!
  • We've been having hot days (high 80's) then it drops to low 50's at night.  It's been really sunny.   We need rain actually.

Today is just an average day. Nothing exciting. 

Congrats to all the new homeowners out there.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We had a big thunderstorm around 4am that woke me and the pup.

I need to pack for the beach tonight and I'm debating about getting a pedicure... on the one hand, I haven't had one since before my wedding so I'm in need, but on the other the sand tears up your feet anyway!  I just got my nails done so I don't want to do it myself either... FWP! 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited August 2015

I'm in the middle of a huge deadline that's due at the end of the day and involves a great deal of cat herding.

This was us 3 weeks ago.  Friday night at 9:30, so there was no place to go and buy the de-skunker!  This solution worked really well!  1 quart of peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and a tablespoon of dish soap.  And since our pup was sprayed in the face, her breath was all skunk too.  We fed her a plate full of tomato sauce and it actually took away the smell!  About a week later, she needed to be washed again, I think the skunk oils started coming out again.  Also, bowls of white vinegar will draw any smells inside of your house out and eliminate them.  But she hasn't been bathed since the 15th and she smells fine now, so I'm hoping no more baths!  She hates them and likes to fight the entire time.  It's a constant 70 lbs struggle to keep her in the tub!

~*~*~*~*~* EDITED TO ADD STUPID BOX*~*~*~*~*~

That's really good to know for future incidents - hopefully she actually learned her lesson this time - haha!

Meanwhile, I took the opportunity, after countless rewashings and two bottles of the de-skunk shampoo, to indulge in some good old fashioned dog shaming :-)

• It's a day of a lot of ups and downs.

DD's Kindergarten orientation / meet and greet with her teacher was this AM.   She was a BUNDLE of nerves (which is almost cute considering her big personality).   And I almost teared up as I walked into the classroom with my BABY.   Seriously - it's such a weird thing to think that this kid is just growing into her own person.

An hour ago I got a call from my aunt.   My grandmother (her mother) is 98.   Her condition has been rapidly deteriorating over the last week.   She was moved into a nursing home on Saturday and today I got the call of, "If you wanted to come see her, you should go today."   I'd held off previously because I had a cold and didn't want to get her sick.   Now I just want to be able to sit with her.   She's a phenomenal woman.   The family matriarch.   Raised a baby while her husband was off fighting in WWII (I'm pretty sure Grandpa was in D - Day), has raised six kids, buried two of them, has prayed for my terminally ill uncle and now I'm a bundle of emotions of this.   I'm a practical person but I also can't imagine her not being here.

Oh, and my second kid turns 1 this weekend, I have my BIL and SIL planning to stay in my house for several nights with their kids, there's a big birthday party going on for DS, one for FIL the following Friday and my MIL called last night saying one of her dearest friends passed away over the weekend at the young age of 64.

I'm about ready to Irish up my beverages starting....NOW. 
  • banana468 said:
    It's a day of a lot of ups and downs.

DD's Kindergarten orientation / meet and greet with her teacher was this AM.   She was a BUNDLE of nerves (which is almost cute considering her big personality).   And I almost teared up as I walked into the classroom with my BABY.   Seriously - it's such a weird thing to think that this kid is just growing into her own person.

An hour ago I got a call from my aunt.   My grandmother (her mother) is 98.   Her condition has been rapidly deteriorating over the last week.   She was moved into a nursing home on Saturday and today I got the call of, "If you wanted to come see her, you should go today."   I'd held off previously because I had a cold and didn't want to get her sick.   Now I just want to be able to sit with her.   She's a phenomenal woman.   The family matriarch.   Raised a baby while her husband was off fighting in WWII (I'm pretty sure Grandpa was in D - Day), has raised six kids, buried two of them, has prayed for my terminally ill uncle and now I'm a bundle of emotions of this.   I'm a practical person but I also can't imagine her not being here.

Oh, and my second kid turns 1 this weekend, I have my BIL and SIL planning to stay in my house for several nights with their kids, there's a big birthday party going on for DS, one for FIL the following Friday and my MIL called last night saying one of her dearest friends passed away over the weekend at the young age of 64.

Sorry about your grandma banana.  

Go ahead and Irish up your beverages. I give you permission.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    banana468 said:

Sorry about your grandma banana.  

Go ahead and Irish up your beverages. I give you permission.
    Thanks!   I have a few kinds of Jameson and a bottle of Powers.   Someone like Grandma deserves some great Midleton. 
  • banana468 said:

Sorry to hear about your grandma and your MILs friend.  You can TOTALLY Irish up your beverages now.  It's past 12:00 where you are, right? 
    Married 9.12.15
  • banana468 said:

Sorry to hear about your grandma and your MILs friend.  You can TOTALLY Irish up your beverages now.  It's past 12:00 where you are, right? 
    Indeed!   If I wasn't trying to work (I WFH) and then get into the car to go see her I'd be all over that.  
  • @banana468 Sorry to hear about your grandmother, she sounds amazing!

• Thoughts and prayer for your grandmother, @banana468
  • Just trying to enjoy the last 2 weeks of summer vacation.  Other than that, nothing fancy.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Praying for your grandmother @banana468! So sorry she is not doing well. :( hugs

• Thank you everyone. Grandma "went on her trip" this afternoon. I hope she's finally with my grandfather and I'm thankful that she wasn't in pain (that she mentioned) for long. I really hope I get to be half the person she is/was. She is missed and I love her. The world is going to have one less verse of When Irish Eyes Are Smiling tonight.

Please nothing on FB if we are friends. I'm not sure who knows.
  • banana468 said:
    Thank you everyone. Grandma "went on her trip" this afternoon. I hope she's finally with my grandfather and I'm thankful that she wasn't in pain (that she mentioned) for long. I really hope I get to be half the person she is/was. She is missed and I love her. The world is going to have one less verse of When Irish Eyes Are Smiling tonight. Please nothing on FB if we are friends. I'm not sure who knows.
    I'm sorry banana.   Thoughts and prayers to your family.

• lyndausvi said:

banana468 said:

Thank you everyone. Grandma "went on her trip" this afternoon. I hope she's finally with my grandfather and I'm thankful that she wasn't in pain (that she mentioned) for long. I really hope I get to be half the person she is/was. She is missed and I love her. The world is going to have one less verse of When Irish Eyes Are Smiling tonight.

Please nothing on FB if we are friends. I'm not sure who knows.

Thanks Lynda. The Irish and Waterford are coming out. Slainte!
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    Thank you everyone. Grandma "went on her trip" this afternoon. I hope she's finally with my grandfather and I'm thankful that she wasn't in pain (that she mentioned) for long. I really hope I get to be half the person she is/was. She is missed and I love her. The world is going to have one less verse of When Irish Eyes Are Smiling tonight. Please nothing on FB if we are friends. I'm not sure who knows.
    Thanks Lynda. The Irish and Waterford are coming out. Slainte!
    I did something similar  when my grandma passed away.    Well, no waterford, but I was the one who picked up the keg for my aunt's house. TWICE 

• I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother, @banana468. Hugs for you and your family!
  • banana468 said:
    She sounds awesome, so sorry for your loss @banana468.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards