Chit Chat

NWR: anniversary gift

My parents 35th wedding anniversary is next year. My brother and I were talking and we'd like to get them their dream trip to Hawaii. We will also be throwing them a party, for their anniversary and 60th birthday parties, next year with a Hawaii theme. However, we can't buy a preplanned vacation because it will really need to be up to them and their schedule. Which would be the better way to go: buy a gift certificate to a resort in Hawaii, buy a gift certificate to a travel agent, or something else we hadn't thought of yet? We want to encourage them to actually take the trip they've been talking about for years! I know if we just give them cash they'll spend it on something else, so I want to get them something that encourages them to actually take the trip!

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"

Re: NWR: anniversary gift

• Gift certificate to a travel agent might work. My parents did that for me one year. My best friend lives across the country and I couldn't afford to go see her so for my birthday my parents researched how much the flights would cost and gave me a gift card from travel agency in the amount I would need. Then I could book and schedule at my convienance and I had to use the money for what they intended.
  • that is tough, I would lean toward a homemade "gift certificate" saying we are paying for a 1 week trip to Hawaii for you guys. I say that only because what if the travel agent one doesn't cover it all, or the trip costs less, or if better deals can be find on your own (or their own) booking online you are stuck w/ the travel agent. 

But if you think that they wouldn't go ahead and book it or work with you to book it with an IOU type of thing then the travel agent cert might be best so they cant just put it off.

I assume you know they definitely want to go to Hawaii

• I think the homemade gift certificate would be best, unless your parents use a dedicated travel agent. 

This is an amazing gift you guys are giving them!!!!

• They've been talking about going for a long awaited honeymoon since I can remember (35 years next year!), but there's always been work or other projects. They've recently bought their retirement home, so I know if we give them cash it will go to remodeling the house and they'll say they will take the vacation later. Then they will spend the next 10 years talking about how they want to go to Hawaii. We just want them to go!
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Late to the party, but my parents did this for Dad's parents. they bought them a travel guide to Hawaii and put fake boarding passes in the book. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards