Getting in Shape

Proper posture

I have always been aware that I don't have the best posture, sitting at a desk all day I definitely hunch a lot.

My wedding is in 18 days and I had my final dress fitting last weekend and I noticed in all the photos my SIL took of me, even though I am standing with my shoulders back my neck is really sticking forward.Kind of like my head is too heavy for my neck. I've looked at the google machine and there seems to be all these 'neck strengthening' exercises.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with correcting their posture, is it too late for me for the wedding photos (should I just mentally prepare myself now that some may look really weird with my posture), or if there is anything i can do in the next 2.5 weeks to help straighten me up!

Re: Proper posture

• I've seen movies where they walk with a book on their heads trying to balance it, with the shoulders relaxed and back straightened.  Sounds silly, but it might help.

Other than that, I have nothing as I have horrible posture myself.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There are many reasons for poor posture.  My daughter has hereditary femoral antiversion, which causes her to thrust her hips forward.  Some people have scoliosis, or other medical issues.  I have great posture but crooked legs.  (I hate short dresses!)
    No one is perfect.  You may need to build your muscles up.  The posture you describe is usually caused by hunched shoulders.  In Iowa we used to call it "the farm girl walk".  (That was mean of us!  I would never do that today!)
    It is good that you are addressing this now.  I have seen many older women where the hunching becomes worse with age and osteoporosis.  Beware of Chiropractors who promise a miracle cure.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Like CMGragain said, there could be a legitimate medical reason causing it. If your head is sticking forward, you may want to see if you have a minor case of kyphosis, where the upper spine curves forward. This also is what causes "hunchback syndrome", but it can happen in limited area, like just in your neck.

I have scoliosis (spine curved sideways), so my posture isn't great and there isn't much I can do structurally.  But, strengthening muscles and trying to correct my posture, on a muscular basis, does help it some. I also sit at a desk all day, which isn't great for my posture, as I tend to slouch.  My physical therapist recommended that I set an alarm for every 30 minutes to remind me to check & correct my posture. After a couple weeks, I found that I naturally was sitting straighter and didn't need to correct as much.  It basically forced me, through regular reminders, to retrain myself to sit with better posture. 

Here is the timer I downloaded to my work computer: http://free-countdown-timer.com/
    It's free and I like it that it automatically resets to 30 minutes without you having to do anything.  So, I don't need to hit a reset button or interrupt what I'm doing every 30 minutes. It pops a message on my screen, I sit up straighter and just keep working.

Although, I'll also say that nobody noticed my bad posture on my wedding day... even myself.  And it's not that noticeable in my photos. My photographer was really good at posing us in certain ways and getting the right angles that it doesn't really show up.  

• I've had minor chiro work for an out of place neck.  I got to lie on a little pillow (specially formed) at the office for 10-15 mins.  I usually napped.  I have no strengthening exercises for you though.  If you are truly concerned, I'd see a chiro/physio and see what they say.  They can tell you if you have anything to worry about.  If you do have an actual condition, as mentioned above (and not just poor posture), I'd also check with your Doctor   

• It's probably too late for this, but ShouldersBack did wonders for me - I discovered this in college when I was on the equestrian team (I look down at my hands/my horse when riding, and generally have bad posture from being very tall as a teen and trying to "shrink" myself). I wish I found it sooner. It's a brace that places you in the correct posture and can be worn under most clothing. Not just for riding though - I wore it to work under my blazer, to the gym OVER my workout clothes, etc. I'll be strapping that baby back on for the months leading up to my wedding to work those muscles back up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is why we can't have nice things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards