Chit Chat

S/O What's your household division of labor?

2»

Re: S/O What's your household division of labor?

• edited August 2015

Cooking: We cook for ourselves because we simply don't like the same foods. Sometimes we share, but even in that case it's usually DH cooking. 
    Dishes: Mostly DH
    Laundry: we each do our own clothes, and I usually do the sheets and towels
    Vacuuming: me
    Dusting: me
    Mopping floors: me
    Clean bathroom: me
    Clean kitchen: me, which drives me nuts because DH uses the stove more and never cleans up his messes (like cooking spray stains, splatter from something boiling)
    Taking out trash/recycling: DH
    General tidying/decluttering: Both of us. We hate clutter, so that's helpful. 
    Yard work: N/A because we live in a city condo
    ETA: We basically fell into these habits. We use the old adage of whomever is bothered more by the dirt should clean it. Hence why he does dishes and garbage and I do most everything else. He pitched in and vacuumed for the first time in 1.5 years just this past weekend, so, progress!  (But honestly? I think he's too blind to see the floor dirt. I'm not kidding. When I said the place needed to be vacuumed he was like, "It's not dirty." Plus we're a shoes-off household so our dirt is really just dust and food crumbs.)

• We've only lived together for 1 month and we have another (male) roommate so I know things are still in a transition state. I'm sure one day I'll sit down with FI and do a more detailed list of things that need to be done but for now we are getting by I just ask him to do something on his days off. He is used to it by now and even asks me when he has off and I'm heading to work what I need him to do that day.

Cooking: We don't cook together often, I'm only home for dinner the same day he is 2x a week and one of those turns into date night with dinner out. For the most part I do- when FI cooks its all meat no veg. Occasionally he will cook and leave me some leftovers :)

Dishes: Mostly me, for the whole house. I dislike it but if I ask FI to do them he will. I haven't bugged roommate to because he (seriously) keeps a glass by the sink and just reuses it constantly. He eats out a lot too.

Laundry: Both of us. Sometimes I start and he finishes, sometimes I do all the loads. I do notice that he never washes the bedding, but if its in the hamper it gets done. I was scared he would dry my delicate so we have a separate hamper for those now, If I put a delicate in the regular wash that's on me. 

Vacuuming: Mainly FI on his days off.

Dusting: Mainly me, but I only do it when it needs doing so usually FI isn't around to ask.

Mopping floors: I'll admit we haven't done this since we moved in. I still need to go buy a swifer.

Clean bathroom: It's been done once and it was me. It will probably continue to be me.

Clean kitchen: Both of us, if I ask FI.

Taking out trash/recycling: Mainly FI and the roommate. Roommate is almost always the one that brings it to the curb. Our recycling picks up twice a week and trash only once and I still don't know the schedule. 

General tidying/decluttering: Me. But I'm usually the one that messes it up.

Yard work: We have someone that comes to do yard work.

And I will add…

Making the bed:  Always me. I'm the only one that likes the bed made, and its usually already got FI sleeping in it when I get home from work, so I hardly get the benefit anyway.

Grocery shopping: We usually go together so FI can pick out whats going in his lunch

Cleaning out the litter box: Walking the dogs: We usually do this together, unless its a dog park trip when one of us is working. 

Picking up dog poop: Mostly him. I conveniently always let him grab the bags. 

Cleaning out the fridge: Funny story, so roommate had a bunch of expired things in the fridge (did I mention he eats out all the time) so I've been slowly throwing things out, especially if its got a non-expired duplicate or a replacement. FI said something to me about it this week so now he is doing it too. I feel bad just up and dumping a bunch of food roommate bought, but homeslice your dressing is bad. 

• We share most work 50/50 but there are certain things that he generally takes care of and that I generally take care of. Lately, though, he's been doing a TON more because I'm not as able bodied as I was even a few months ago. But pregnancy aside, here's how stuff usually breaks down:

- yard work: both of us, but mostly H - he loves it and refuses to hire anyone, so whatever
    - taking out the trash/recycling: H
    - laundry: both of us, but mostly me
    - cleaning around the house: both of us, but mostly me - I'm pretty anal about how stuff gets cleaned. We've tried out a few cleaning people, but it hasn't worked out because of my standard of clean. I know I'm creating more work for myself, but I'm ok with it at this point. That'll probably change when I have a newborn - I will need to lower my expectations of clean in general. 
    - cooking: mostly me (H likes to grill and use his smoker)
    - cat stuff: mostly me (except during the pregnancy...H has been on litter duty)
    *********************************************************************************

• WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    Well, we have someone come in about every 4 weeks to deep clean the house, so lots gets done then.  We also both had our own houses before moving in together, so we're pretty good on 50/50.  I also do more when I'm home during summer break cos I have the time.  

Cooking: Usually me, cos I'm home first, though DH does help when he gets here.  He also always does weekend/holiday breakfasts

Dishes: Me, though again, DH does it if he beats me there.  He won't put the tupperware away though.  He claims he doesn't know the system (stack inside the same ones)
    Laundry: Me, 90% of the time.  I don't trust him to not shrink my stuff.  He helps put it all away
    Vacuuming: If needed, me, but usually we don't need it in between cleaner visits
    Dusting: Same
    Mopping floors: Same, though we're 50/50 if it is needed
    ETA - Sweeping floors - usually me
    Clean bathroom: Cleaners and DH.  He's so messy in the bathroom and I hate cleaning toilets
    Clean kitchen: 50/50
    Clean kitty litter box: N/A. No pets
    Taking out trash/recycling: 50/50 on collection/bagging, he takes it out in the morning before he leaves 
    General tidying/decluttering: Both of us, though more DH as I can live in clutter longer.  It always seems like he's cleaning up after me  
    Yard work: Mowing, usually DH, but I'll do it on days off too.  I do more of the gardening/maintenance stuff.  DH loves shovelling too, but I'll still do it if I'm home first

Basically, he's totally willing to share and help out, but he works 10-12 hour days and I work 6-7 hour days, on average, so I'm just home more to get things done.  I hate the feeling that he's worked longer and then has to come home to clean and cook.  But he's always willing to help out

• If I get knocked up then I'm going to have to play the toxoplasmosis card to get DH to clean the litter box. Even though the risks are negligible because I've lived in a household with cats for my entire life and the chances that I'll get a first-time exposure now from my two indoor-only cats is essentially zero. But I don't have to tell DH those details!
  • Cooking: mostly me unless I get him to use the grill
    Dishes: me. I've watched FI do the dishes and would rather do them myself

Laundry: me, again watched him do laundry and everything was thrown in together, the look on my face said it all to him and he just stepped away and let me finish.
    Vacuuming: me
    Dusting: me
    Mopping floors: me
    Clean bathroom: me
    Clean kitchen: again me, I will have it cleaned up and he will want to make dinner, which I love but that means it looks like a bomb went off in my cleaned kitchen

Clean kitty litter box:  Chickens: pretty much me since they are mine but he likes to feed them snacks and let them out to free range in the afternoon

Taking out trash/recycling: FI, I take it out of the house, he just has to take it to the street
    General tidying/decluttering: me again every other weekend I deep clean the house while he is at work, it's very calming to me

Yard work: FI, he is hell bent on keeping this junky lawn mower that once its running is great but you have to spend 20 mins getting it ready to start it.

• Cooking: 95% me.  Once every two weeks or so, fiance will cook on the day he's off during the week.  He is also the grill master when we go to his parents' to grill.

Dishes: 75% fiance.  He's supposed to do them because I cook, but his schedule changes and sometimes there will be 2 days worth of dishes if I wait for him to do them.  Sometimes, to be honest, I do, but sometimes I can't because we have so few of everything I wouldn't be able to cook w/o doing the dishes.  I also "took away points" since he doesn't dry everything like the pots and pans and plastic lids and also leaves them for me to put away.  It drives me nuts.  That's not doing the dishes; that's washing the dishes...

Laundry: Both of us- whoever has time; this is probably a 50/50 split.  Although he almost always forgets to grab the dish towels and bath mat almost every time he does laundry.

Vacuuming: 99% me.  If he's home, I might be able to ask him to do it, but he's rarely home on the "deep clean" days (I only vacuum once a week- no shoes in our house and the studio is so small it takes forever to get around and under the furniture)

Dusting: Me.  He hates it; won't do it.  Period.  I knew that going in.

Mopping floors: Me; he's not home on deep clean days (I do this once a week)

Clean bathroom:  99% me; if he's home on a deep clean day I can get him to do it, but I have to explain that it means he has to clean the mirror and the hair from the drain catch, and wipe of the bathroom scale- he just does the sink, toilet and shower if I don't chase behind him.

Clean kitchen: Me.  I even have to "spot clean" during the week because he doesn't understand that wiping down the counter, sink and stove top is part of doing dishes.  Again, he's not home for the "deep clean" days so this is all me.

Clean kitty litter box: no pets.

Taking out trash/recycling:  Both.  I help by holding the bin so he gets the bag out.  I then put in the new bag.  He'll often carry the bag down while I open the dumpster lid.  We totally tag team on this.  Every now and then he even does it all himself which is a nice treat.   When he does, he forgets to empty the bathroom trash can in to the larger one though.

General tidying/decluttering: All me- I'm constantly picking up after him, making him go through is magazine and mail piles, folding the blanket, putting the pillows back on the couch.  He makes the bed better than I do, but never does.  M-F I get up first so I always come home to an unmade bed.  On the weekends, we get up at the same time but since he usually goes to work, I tidy while he's in the shower.

Lawn Work:  None- apartment.  If we did, it would be all him.  The one time my mom tried to get me to mow the grass I cut it in wobbly lines and missed spots (not on purpose) so I'm not allowed to do that stuff.

• I do most everything inside the house and DH does most everything outside the house. He'll help inside when I ask, no problem though. And I'll help outside at times, especially when it's stuff like planting flowers, etc.
  • My FI & I are kind of against the grain here...I work a lot and commute to the city, so I don't have a lot of time to be in the house anymore. We've lived together a bit over 3 years now, and things were more equal when my job was easier. 

Also, we have a roommate, but he doesn't "live" in the apartment as much as we do, so he only helps out with some things.

Cooking: Mostly me. FI didn't know how to cook much at all when we met, but Iv'e been teaching him and he cooks once a week or so now, or helps me when i'm cooking. (It's lovely never having to clean chicken, because he always does it for me.)

Dishes: Whoever gets to it first. Usually him on weekdays, me on weekends.

Laundry: FI. He's start it before I wake up on weekends, which is lovely.

Vacuuming: FI

Dusting: Me. Neither my FI nor our roommate (male) understands the need for it.

Mopping floors: FI

Clean bathroom: Rotates between FI, me and our roommate

Clean kitchen: Mostly FI. Roommate does't cook or eat at home, so he never does this or dishes.

Taking out trash/recycling: Roommate

General tidying/decluttering: Both of us. Though I'm more likely to leave a mess around than he is, because I'm the messier of the two of us.

Yard Work - none, because we have an apartment. I'd probably do most of it if we did, though.

Fixing/Handyman skills - (Added because he does so much and I feel bad.) I'm the one who paints walls, fixes/puts together furniture, etc. I'm way more excited about having an excuse to buy power tools when we buy a house. Like cooking, FI has learned a lot about home improvement since we started dating.
  • edited August 2015
    Cooking: DH... he's the chef in our family.  We do occasionally cook together, though.

Dishes: DH... the kitchen is his territory. I hate doing dishes, but he doesn't mind it.

Laundry: Me.  DH hates laundry, but I don't mind.  So, it works out that he does the kitchen & I do the laundry.

Vacuuming/mopping: Neato (our robot vacuum) does 99% of our vacuuming.  If additional floor cleaning is needed (additional vacuuming or mopping), then that's DH's job.

Dusting: Me

Clean bathroom: Me... another chore DH hates.  I don't like it, but don't mind too much. 

Clean kitchen: Kitchen is DH's territory

Dogs: I usually walk the dogs, because I'm home more at the typical times we walk them.  We both will usually walk them together at night or if we are both home.  I usually refill their food & water, mainly because I tend to notice it first.  He gives them a lot more treats though.

Taking out trash/recycling: Whoever notices that the trash is full. 

General tidying/decluttering: Usually me.  I try to pick up stuff throughout the week, but we tend to both take time to clean on the weekend.  I can usually pick up the whole house in the time it takes him to clean the kitchen & floors.

Yard Work: We live in an apartment, so don't really have any yard work.  We do have a patch of fake grass on our balcony (upstairs apartment) for our dogs (we also have a doggy door for them) and DH takes care of cleaning & replacing that and cleaning the balcony as needed.  And he actually goes over to his parents house to do their yard work, so I think it's safe to assume yard work will be his job.

• Dogs: I usually walk the dogs, because I'm home more at the typical times we walk them.  We both will usually walk them together at night or if we are both home.  I usually refill their food & water, mainly because I tend to notice it first.  He gives them a lot more treats though.

ha. this is DH and I to a tee.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • ginnybinny17ginnybinny17 member
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015

We kind of have our chores divided up into realms.  He has the realm of the kitchen -- he cooks (I'm useless at it), cleans the kitchen, and does the dishes.  I guess I have the realm of the other rooms -- I vacuum, Swiffer, and dust (when it gets done).

We both generally do our own laundry -- one time he was trying to be sweet and do my laundry, and put a cashmere sweater in the dryer.

We both have our own bathrooms so we just do our own.

As for recycling and taking out the trash, it's just kinda whoever happens to open up the bins when they're full.

I clean up all the dog mess when it happens, since they were kinda mine first and I feel bad making him do it.  Siiiiiiigh.

But we do divide up taking out the dogs!  He has morning/afternoon duty, since he works nights usually, and I have bedtime walking duty.

• Cooking: both of us, but if FI is home, he's cooking. He likes to do it and finds it relaxing
    Dishes: FI mostly, but sometimes I'll do them if I'm feeling ambitious
    Laundry: This is now solely me unless he needs something after this week's escapade with my Class A uniform shirt
    Vacuuming: Me
    Dusting: Me
    Mopping floors: Me
    Clean bathroom: Me unless he beats me to it, which is extremely rare
    Clean kitchen: Eh, more him than me
    Clean kitty litter box: FI - I'm allergic; his cats, his problem
    Taking care of the dog: Both of us. I generally take care of her during the day when I'm not at the firehouse since I work at the restaurant in the evenings; FI works midnights this month so he takes care of her from the time I leave for work until he leaves
    Taking out trash/recycling: both - whoever put the "final touch" on it
    General tidying/decluttering: Both of us. We pick up almost daily
    Yard work: we live in an apartment so this doesn't apply, but neither of us mind doing it

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was thinking how lazy this would make H look, but after reading some I'm not the only one

Cooking: typically me, but if it's a big meal it's him. or something he's good at

Dishes: typically me, but I try to get him to help dry
    Laundry: me. sometimes i'll get him to bring down/up clothes, but I hang them
    Vacuuming: Me
    Dusting: Uhm .... neither tbh
    Mopping floors: Me but rare
    Clean bathroom: Split. Neither of us enjoy it lol
    Clean kitchen: Me, since I clean things as I do dishes or other stuff
    Clean kitty litter box: me
    Taking care of the dog: no dog
    Taking out trash/recycling: trash depends, recycle typically me, he'll go get the car and I'll have him meet me by the back of the building where it is
    General tidying/decluttering: me
    Yard work: we live in an apartment so this doesn't apply, but if we have a house it'll prob be him except for garden. {which would be me}
  • H works from home and he has a lot of slow days where he has nothing going on, so he does a lot of it juts because he has time. When he's super busy, I pick up a lot of slack, though. 
    Cooking: H does it all. Like 100 %. This is because he is a control freak and refuses to relinquish control of the kitchen to me. I do cook probably about once a month. I need to kick him out of the kitchen though b/c he starts telling me what to do. 
    Dishes: 50/50- though once again H is very particular about how his pots and pans get cleaned, so sometimes he does it all. He usually unloads the DW b/c he is home in the am and we usually run it while we are sleeping b/c its so noisy.  
    Laundry: Me. We each do our own, though I do the sheets and the towels etc. I've offered to start doing H's laundry, but he has anxiety about other people doing his laundry b/c I guess his mom used to ruin his shirts all the time in HS. 
    Vacuuming: Split.  I do like almost all of it. Except the last month b/c we were very very busy and it needed to get done while I was at work.
    Dusting: Mostly me, but once in awhile he will step it up. 
    Mopping floors: Me almost 100 % of the time. 
    Clean bathroom: It's about 50/50 though H is terrible at cleaning the tub/ shower area. It would be mildewy all the time if I let him have complete control.
    Clean kitchen: Split
    Taking out trash/recycling: I am not embarrassed to admit I have take 1 bag of trash out since H moved in 2 years ago :-)
    General tidying/decluttering: Split, but mostly me.
    Yard work: No yard! But H tidies the deck from time to time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards