Chit Chat

Do you have a favorite month?

I'm working from home today and there's a crappy cheesey horror movie on TV which reminded me of how much I love October for that reason. It's definitely my most favorite month. So many good things happen: 

Fear Fest is on all month
Plus all the other crappy horror movies on TV
Walking Dead
American Horror Story 
Pumpkin spice lattes 
Pumpkin cheesecake (and other pumpkin deliciousness) 
Spiced cider 
Getting out all my favorite boots and cute sweaters 
The smell of burning leaves 
Halloween (my favorite holiday!) 
Cooking a bunch of comfort food on chilly days 
Driving through the country to see the leaves 
Perfect weather to take the dogs hiking 
And then my birthday is the beginning of November 

What's your favorite month, and why? 

Re: Do you have a favorite month?

• I'm too indecisive to pick just 1. So I will go with 2, in no particular order.

May - The sun shines brighter, the weather is perfect, and it signifies the beginning of spring! I also tend to be in the best shape in May after all the working out I do during the winter months. And now, it's my wedding month :)

August - It's still summer which is my favorite season, and my birthday is in August :) The weather starts to get a bit cooler, and there's still time for boozy outdoor brunches and rooftop bars, and beaches and bbq's before the season is over.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• edited August 2015
    I'm definitely an October girl

My birthday
    FI Birthday
    Brothers Birthday
    SIL Birthday
    Thanksgiving (Canadian)
    All the pretty fall colours
    Nice crisp temperatures
    Sweater weather (I love me some comfy sweaters!)
    Halloween (Mainly to have an excuse to eat copious amounts of tiny chocolate bars)

ETA: I may be in the minority but i HATE all things pumpkin flavoured. Gag.
  • I like September, but I'm not sure it would be my favorite.  I'm not sure I have a real favorite.      

Back in the islands I had all of Sept off, so that was always nice.   It's also the start of football season.  The flip side in the islands was it was peak hurricane season.  Sept is our anniversary.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • July/Aug. There are long weekends in both, they are hot (no humidity where I live), there is less traffic on the roads (no school). Work is also slower, which is kind of nice.

• July/Aug. There are long weekends in both, they are hot (no humidity where I live), there is less traffic on the roads (no school). Work is also slower, which is kind of nice.

July is definitely my second favorite. I love love love fireworks and the 4th of July and grilling, going to the lake house, etc etc. It's a great month :) 
  • I'm gonna go with December, because that's the month that I have to work the least and get to see friends and family more. Plus, I just love Christmas. Hot cocoa, cookie-baking parties, Christmas shopping...I know it stresses some people out but I just love it!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• September. Football season, means hockey season is right there around the corner, beginning of fall but still really nice out.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I would say October as well. I love fall, it's my favorite season.  Leaves changing color, apple picking and crisp days where I can wear a light jacket and scarf. What's not to love?
  • I don't really have a favorite month.  I do love the months where the temperature is at least 68 or higher, so that is probably anywhere from May to early October in my neck of the woods.

I really hate late February and all of March.  By this point I am so over winter and the cold and the snow that these months are just so.freaking.long.

• I don't really have a favorite month.  I do love the months where the temperature is at least 68 or higher, so that is probably anywhere from May to early October in my neck of the woods.

I really hate late February and all of March.  By this point I am so over winter and the cold and the snow that these months are just so.freaking.long.
    Totally agree with the bolded!! Those two months are always total misery for me. 

Totally agree with the bolded!! Those two months are always total misery for me. 

March is pretty aweful because it can tease you about upcoming spring. might be nice and warm one day and then the next is bitter cold and snowing. Bah!

I hate January. Mainly because thats 'deep winter' time where it can get bitter cold here. Last year we had a week of -40C and it was just like 'really, I really have to go to work??'
  • October. Hands down.

Perfect mix of warm days and crisp, cool days

Apple picking

Hot cider

Pumpkin muffins/bread/spice latte

Boots

Sunday football

Sweater weather

And our anniversary is at the end of October!!

those months in your neck of the woods can suck.    Out here they are not bad at all.  Actually the winter in general it's too bad even though we are in the mountains.  The lack of humidy helps a lot.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I don't really have a favorite month.  I do love the months where the temperature is at least 68 or higher, so that is probably anywhere from May to early October in my neck of the woods.

those months in your neck of the woods can suck.    Out here they are not bad at all.  Actually the winter in general it's too bad even though we are in the mountains.  The lack of humidy helps a lot.
    We used to come out there and ski in Snowmass every March. It was always sunny and beautiful. Unless there was a blizzard which was even more exciting, cuz fresh powder. 
  • October fan here too! For all the reasons you stated. I love fall. PSL comes out september 8th at starbucks and our family vacation to Disneyland  is in the beginning of October. I'm so excited for Mickey's Halloween Party.   
  • October is probably mine too.
  • I love October and June, mainly for the seasonal changes...

October because that's when I am completely sick of hot weather and welcome the cold and rain (but I'm not sick of it yet). And all of our shows are back on TV, football (and our fantasy league) is in full swing, I can start baking and using the crock pot daily, and planning for the holidays. And I can decorate the house for Halloween.

June because that's when the weather finally warms up, it's light out until 10pm, and the garden starts producing delicious things. 

I don't really hate any months, but my least favorite are probably January and March. End of winter, sick of the cold weather, and nothing exciting happens.

@novella1186 off topic but I have to ask: Did you watch the premiere of Fear the Walking Dead? I was completely skeptical of it at first, but we actually really enjoyed it. It's such a different story than the one we are used to hearing in the original. Looking forward to seeing where they take it!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • October here too, and the latter part of Sept too.  I love fall.  I originally wanted to get married then but weather here in CO can be a bit unpredictable so I opted to do September instead.

Also hockey starts in October :-D
    Married 9.12.15
  • I love October and June, mainly for the seasonal changes...

October because that's when I am completely sick of hot weather and welcome the cold and rain (but I'm not sick of it yet). And all of our shows are back on TV, football (and our fantasy league) is in full swing, I can start baking and using the crock pot daily, and planning for the holidays. And I can decorate the house for Halloween.

June because that's when the weather finally warms up, it's light out until 10pm, and the garden starts producing delicious things. 

I don't really hate any months, but my least favorite are probably January and March. End of winter, sick of the cold weather, and nothing exciting happens.

@novella1186 off topic but I have to ask: Did you watch the premiere of Fear the Walking Dead? I was completely skeptical of it at first, but we actually really enjoyed it. It's such a different story than the one we are used to hearing in the original. Looking forward to seeing where they take it!

I did watch it! It wasn't bad but I'm still a bit skeptical only because I've gotten so attached to the original. However, in the original I was always hoping they'd give us a bit more about the origin of the outbreak and whatnot (there's that one brief scene of Atlanta being bombed and that's about it) so this could be really interesting. 
  • October and May. October because I hate summer, the weather is cooler, the leaves are changing color, the air smells comforting. 

May because we've defrosted after the harsh winters, the flowers are out, and the days are long! 

• July and October. My reasons are so different I don't think I could pick one. 

July because it's when the weather really starts being consistently hot in New England (or at least as consistent as New England weather really could be), plus there's the 4th of July, lots of people are on vacation so less traffic. But the biggest reason is the heat. August is also usually hot but in August it already feels like summer is wrapping up so I like July being the beginning of summer.

October because of all of the pretty colors in the leaves and pumpkins. I love pumpkins, they generally just make me happy. Halloween is super fun. I love going to haunted houses and on haunted walks. I love horror movies. It's usually (okay 50/50 shot) not too cold yet, I can wear a lighter jacket and sweaters rather than needing to be bundled from head to toe. It's the start of what is the holiday season. Also this year it will be our wedding month and so in the future our anniversary!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dang, October gets all the love!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jenna8984 - If I lived somewhere with real seasons, I would probably feel the same way you do. But the Pacific Northwest is pretty mild in the summer (though we had a record-breaking 27 days of 90+ degree weather), and it only snows a little in the winter. October is the best because it's usually still warmish and not too rainy yet. Though the Old Farmer's Almanac is predicting a cold, snowy winter for us (read: 3 inches of snow at a time).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jenna8984 said:

See I dunno, I feel like everyone has this Lifetime Movie in their head of what fall is like but I find it to never actually be like that. It will be nice and warm the first 2 weeks of September and then it's like fuck you guys time to get cold! And it's instantly cold. To me there is no such thing as "light jacket" weather, if I'm not sweating in a bikini then I'm bundled up in a parka hahahah. True story though, friend from high school got married a few years ago on October 18th and 50% of guests didn't make it because of a snow storm.

So yea, now that's said and done- JUNE because it kicks off summer!

LOL!  All of that is so true!  Last year I think there may have been a week of that pretty fall from the movies and then it gave us the big ole middle finger and was all snow and freezing rain and ice and cold and wind.

• September! I like October too, but it's already getting a bit cold here by then (as @jenna8984 pointed out - NE goes from swimsuit ---> down parka WAY too quickly).

September has:
    - A fresh start! I work in academia, so I like the fresh start that comes with the beginning of the school year. I feel motivated to learn, and teach, and start new projects. I've always been the type of person who makes "New Year" resolutions in September instead of January.
    - My birthday!
    - New England fall foliage!
    - The best hiking conditions (with fewer crowds)!
    - Harvest farmers market produce
    - Cool nights, less humid days. I sleep better (without A/C), and it's cool enough in the day for better work-outs, longer jogs, longer hikes.

March is the worst month. Blech. I keep promising myself I'm going to schedule a vacation some place warm next year.
  • jenna8984 said:

See I dunno, I feel like everyone has this Lifetime Movie in their head of what fall is like but I find it to never actually be like that. It will be nice and warm the first 2 weeks of September and then it's like fuck you guys time to get cold! And it's instantly cold. To me there is no such thing as "light jacket" weather, if I'm not sweating in a bikini then I'm bundled up in a parka hahahah. True story though, friend from high school got married a few years ago on October 18th and 50% of guests didn't make it because of a snow storm.

So yea, now that's said and done- JUNE because it kicks off summer!

We've actually been pretty spoiled the last few years with 'movie-esque' Octobers.

Last year FI and I hiked the trails outside of town almost every evening. Little mittens and comfy sweaters, we'd grab a hot chocolate and just enjoy nature for an hour. We got a tiny bit of snow near the end of the month but that was it.

Although I will admit there has been years where there's snow the second week and everything is slushy and sludgy and gross. But I try and forget those years because I have such a fondness for October.
  • June and August are my favorite, with July a close third. I usually go on vacation, I got married in June, my birthday is in August. Honestly, in MA the weather is usually fine until end of October. Halloween could be hot or cold, you never know. 

February and March are the worst. Why is February the shortest month, but always drags the longest.

• I second (or third, fourth, ect) October. I love the changing fall colors, the crisp cool air, comfy jeans with cute sweaters, and Halloween.  
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • July. Independence Day. Fireworks. State Fair. Corn season. Long days, hot weather. Swimming. Vitamin D. Anniversary. Grilling, cookouts, picnics, outdoor concerts. Fireflies, our veggie garden.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards